Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Parish Council Minutes

July 2008

Minutes of the Meeting of Sherington Parish Council held on Tuesday 1st July 2008 in Sherington Village Hall commencing at 7.30pm.

PRESENT: Cllrs Peter Burton (Chair), Peter Cook, David Keene, Ian Thomson, David Hyde, David Wright and Lisa Masters

ALSO ATTENDING: Wendy Austyn (Clerk), Colin Scowen (Perry Lane Recreation Ground caretaker) and two other members of the public.



The minutes of the meeting held on 3rd June 2008 were agreed as a true record and signed by the Chairman.


Anglian Water – surface water sewer and ditch. Stephen Portlock has confirmed that funding has been approved to lay a pipe to replace the ditch, date to be confirmed. It was agreed to request drawings to check the exact location of the pipe. ACTION: Clerk

Water Lane remedial works. Cllr Sam Potts has pursued this with Brian Sandom, Director of Environment and reports that this work is now in the Capital Priority list for this financial year. The clerk is chasing for confirmation and a likely start date. ACTION: Clerk

Street lighting. The clerk has noticed that two slightly different styles of light have been installed and it was agreed to query this with Aylesbury Mains who installed them. Cllr Hyde has requested some “night time” photos of Sherington from the manufacturer that show the new lights in operation. ACTION: Clerk

Village Hall footpath refurbishment. The cheapest contractor has not responded to a formal letter so it must be assumed he no longer wishes to carry out the work. It was agreed to enquire with MKC who originally provided the second cheapest quote to see if its quote still stands and when work could likely start.ACTION: Clerk

Kerbing on Crofts End. After agreeing with MKC Highways that Crofts would be the no. 1 priority for kerbing, the team has commenced work this week. It is unclear exactly how far up the road they will go. ACTION: Clerk

Village Environmental Visual Audit (EVA). Further to visits from the dog warden, MKC has offered the parish an EVA which would look at issues such as litter, graffiti, fly tipping and dog fouling. This would be carried out by the Safer Communities Wardens. It was agreed to accept this offer and ensure that issues at Perry Lane Recreation Ground are highlighted.. ACTION: Clerk


Cllr Wright reported that councillors met informally to discuss this and it was agreed that the new document was starting from a very positive position, with almost all of the residents’ ideas and aspirations highlighted in the Village Appraisal having been addressed or actioned. The next step is to identify new aspirations in the village and it was agreed to produce a document for Sherington On Show on 11th October and use this opportunity to talk to people and get their input and identify new projects for the future. ACTION: Cllr Wright


Cllr Keene has not yet finalised his report for MKC but will visit the Landscape Services department when it is ready. Cllr Burton reported that funding may be available from BIFFA. The clerk reported that Central Networks have initially declined to move the wooden electricity pole from the middle of the site, this is being pursued. This project will also be highlighted at Sherington On Show. ACTION: Clerk, Cllr Keene


Monthly balances. Enterprise Account £23195.91; Treasurer Account £9787.80

Cheques for payment were as follows:

01/07/2008A H Contracts Dog bins £105.28 101582
01/07/2008E.ON Pavilion electricity £37.59 101583
01/07/2008BALC Cllrs Training £39.00 101584
01/07/2008Sports Ground Services Mowing £405.38 101585
01/07/2008Wendy Austyn Clerk's salary £255.70 101586
01/07/2008Wendy Austyn Clerk's expenses £37.97 101587
01/07/2008Colin Scowen Perry Lane Caretaker £50.00 101588
01/07/2008Raymond Graham Perry Lane Groundsman £120.00 101589
01/07/2008Nina Beal Pavilion cleaner £56.00 101590
01/07/2008Waste Recycling Group Ltd CTP payment to WREN £7,700.00 101591

Sign off Annual Return. This was duly signed by the Chairman.

Dog Bins. Expenditure to get the bins cleaned at £10 per bin was approved.


Decisions. Permission has been granted to 12 Gun Lane (erect rear conservatory), 24 Gun Lane (temporary static caravans), 26 Gun Lane (extension) and 38 Water Lane (new double garage).


Pavilion building project. Cllr Burton reported that WREN has issued the funding contract so phase one can commence on 14th July. Lune Architects will take over managing the building project. Tesco has awarded £4000 towards the project, and applications to Awards For All, MK Community Foundation and The Football Foundation are still being considered. ACTION: Cllr Burton, Clerk

Pavilion management committee. Cllr Thomson has received some interest in this and has also placed an advert in SCAN to invite potential committee members. Ideas of how to set the committee up are still being discussed; a representative from Bucks Association of Local Councils (BALC) is being invited to attend a meeting to offer information and advice. ACTION: Cllr Thomson, Cllr Masters

Caretaker’s report. Colin Scowen attended the meeting and reported more problems with youths from outside the village hanging around the recreation ground, causing vandalism and being unsociable. It was agreed to pursue the police to get involved. Providing the village youths with a practice goalpost was discussed again and it was agreed to carry on trying to find a solution acceptable to all. ACTION: Clerk


MKNECAF Wed 4th June. Cllr Hyde reported that Cllr Debbie Brock is the new Chair of this forum; and that amongst other items the parish council’s dissatisfaction about the planned cycle route was once more expressed.

Affordable Housing development at Cheddington Thurs 5th June. Cllr Cook attended and was most impressed with the quality of these low cost, eco-friendly units. The first step towards Affordable Housing is to carry out a Housing Needs survey, the written information Cllr Cook obtained is to be circulated.

Councillors’ training Friday 20th June. Cllr Masters attended and came away with lots of very useful information.

TVP Parish Council Consultation Mon 21st July Winslow. No one was available to attend.


Lorry Management Strategy. Councillors agreed that the documentation provided was thorough and concise and no further comments were necessary.

Post Office closure programme consultation. The information provided was noted; it was confirmed that Sherington Post Office is not currently facing closure.

Emergency Planning template. Following the MKC officers’ visit last November a template for parishes to complete was circulated. It was agreed to incorporate this into the Parish Plan.




Cllr Wright reported incidences of youths on 50cc motorbikes riding around the village, some without helmets and others riding pillion.

Cllr Wright reported a very successful first MK Play Association event at the village hall play area today.

Cllr Keene noted that the weekend of 12th and 13th July was a crowded one for village events, it was acknowledged that there are both advantages and disadvantages of holding events over the same weekend.

Cllr Burton reported a dead tree on School Lane, at Church Road end.

Cllr Burton suggested looking into buying a photocopier for the parish council’s use. ACTION: Clerk

13. DATE OF NEXT MEETING The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 2nd September 2008 at the Village Hall commencing at 7.30pm. There being no further business the meeting closed at 8.58 pm

          Pages 1264 to 1266  

Previous Meeting - Back to PARISH COUNCIL MINUTES INDEX - Next Meeting

Home Page - About Us - Minutes - Newsletters - Our Needs - Membership - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 11 February 2018