Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Parish Council Minutes

June 2012

Minutes of the Meeting of Sherington Parish Council held on Tuesday 12th June 2012 at Sherington Pavilion, commencing at 7.30pm.

PRESENT: Cllrs D Keene (Chair), J Ager, D Hyde and M Northfield

ALSO ATTENDING:Wendy Austyn (Clerk), Cllr Keith McLean arrived at 8.30pm (Sherington Ward councillor) and four members of the public

Cllrs Green and Denman.

Cllr Ager declared an interest in item 9.3 planning application at 2 Hillview; Cllr Northfield declared an interest in item 5 Shopco update.

The minutes of the meeting held on 1st May 2012 were agreed as a true record and signed by the Chairman.

The clerk reported that one application had been received, it was decided to set a deadline of 10th July for any other applications

Mel Northfield, on behalf of Shopco, reported that remedial work and tidying up of the shop and immediate surrounding area is well under way with the building having been repainted and a new ramp installed. Steps will be built where the old ramp is. Quotes are now awaited for the establishment of a new vehicle and pedestrian access; and landscaping will be carried out in the Autumn. Trading is continuing to go well.

This is still under discussion with legal advisors for both parties. Cllrs Keene and Northfield to chase. ACTION: Cllrs Keene and Northfield


7.1 Pre-school play area update.Further to last month, MKC officers have visited the pre-school play area upon the Clerk's request and have made the area safe by lifting raised tiles, grinding down the offending tree roots and re-laying the tiles.


8.1 Bank Account balance at 1st May 2012 £15948.60

8.2 Cheques for payment were as follows:

12/06/2012E.On Electricity for pavilion £127.74 102009
12/06/2012Sports Ground Services Mowing rec field £331.20 102010
12/06/2012Noel Gotts Internal Auditor £125.00 102011
12/06/2012Anglian Water Water for pavilion £137.13 102012
12/06/2012St Lauds PCC Flower Festival donation £50.00 102013
12/06/2012Zurich Municipal Insurance £1,220.37 102014
12/06/2012A H Contracts Dog Bins £273.00 102015
12/06/2012Wendy Austyn Clerk's PAYE £124.29 102016
12/06/2012Wendy Austyn Clerk's salary £174.96 102017
12/06/2012Wendy Austyn Clerk's expenses £17.85 102018
12/06/2012Martin Jeeves Perry Lane caretaker/bookings £100.00 102019
12/06/2012Nina Beal Pavilion cleaner £73.50 102020

8.3 Flower Festival donation A donation of £50 to the bi-annual Sherington Flower Festival was approved. ACTION: Clerk

8.4 Funding applications A decision on the Parish Partnership Fund and Play Area Improvement Fund applications are expected by the next meeting. The application to the MK Community Foundation for MKPA play sessions has been turned down. The clerk will talk to MKPA about other options. ACTION: Clerk

8.5 Audit and Annual Return for year ended 31st March 2012 The internal audit of the accounts is complete; and the chairman signed the Annual Return which will now be sent to the external auditor. ACTION: Clerk

8.6 "No Dogs" and "Keep Dogs on Leads" signs The clerk reported the cost of a few pounds each for these signs. It was agreed to purchase approximately a dozen A5 plastic laminate signs. ACTION: Clerk

8.7 Village Olympic event 1st September A request for a donation to the village Olympics event has been received. It was agreed to donate £200 and ask the pavilion management committee to waive the cost of the pavilion hire. ACTION: Clerk, Cllr Ager


9.1. 12/00858/FUL Shoulder of Mutton field, Gun Lane - Change of use from agricultural building to dwelling. Councillors had no objection to the proposals in principle, subject to removal of permitted development rights, and access/boundary treatments in keeping with its rural location

9.2. 12/00846/TCA 10 Church End - Notification of intent to reduce one Yew tree to 30ft. The clerk informed the councillors that permission had already been granted

9.3. 12/00914/OUT 2 Hillview - Erection of detached bungalow (outline application). Councillors agreed that the site of the proposed development is complex and development could have significant overlooking impacts due to the topography of the site. It was agreed to request that MKC insist on a full application (or at least more supporting information to the outline) so that all impacts can be assessed. Councillors conceded that this was only an outline application; however more than a simple site plan is required in order to provide a considered response. It is suggested that that this application be withdrawn and resubmitted with more detailed proposals such as elevations and siting, then councillors would reconsider the proposals. If this does not happen then the parish council will have no option but to object to the application in its current form.

9.4. 11/01193/FULEIS Stoke Goldington wind turbines. Additional information has been provided to support this planning application. Councillors agreed that no response was necessary

9.5. Decisions. The applications for 10 Church End and the Shop have been permitted

9.6. Retrospective Applications. Further to last month, on Cllr McLean's request a substantial amount of research has been carried out by senior planning officers with interesting results being revealed and forwarded to councillors. Cllr McLean will continue to pursue the issue with support from the parish council.


10.1. Pavilion management group. Cllr Ager forwarded a request to update the committee on the current budget position, the clerk will forward this. ACTION: Clerk


11.1. The next NECAF is Thursday 21st June 7.30pm at The Olney Centre, Cllr Hyde will attend. ACTION: Cllr Hyde


12.1. MKC Enforcement Policy The proposals were noted by councillors but it was agreed not to respond.

12.2. MKC Public Access Strategy It was agreed that the Clerk would respond to this consultation as she has the most contact with MKC. ACTION: Clerk

12.3. Bus Information Strategy The lengthy proposals were noted by councillors but it was agreed not to respond.

12.4. Letter from MKC re land behind school MKC are in the process of updating their Land Availability Assessment and Sherington School was asked to confirm that there was no change in its position regarding access to the land behind it.


13.1 A resident reported a significant increase in traffic especially lorries and agricultural machinery around Sherington Bridge. Cllr McLean will ask Highways to get involved. ACTION: Cllr McLean

13.2 Many verges and splays at junctions in the village have not been mowed and the high grass is causing vision problems for vehicles. Cllr McLean will forward the cutting schedule to the council and also contact Environmental Services ACTION: Cllr McLean

13.3 Potholes on Church Road and Church End were reported ACTION: Clerk

13.4 An additional dog bin was requested for Gun Lane which is a popular dog walking route. It was agreed to investigate the costs and discuss at the next meeting ACTION: Clerk

13.5 Cllr McLean informed the council that if requested, it may be possible to have a Neighbourhood Management officer present on a village walkabout, to pick up issues such as potholes, loose kerbs and blocked drains. Councillors recalled having Ian McGregor present on such walkabouts in the past and agreed this was an efficient way to tackle environmental issues. ACTION: Clerk


14.1 Cllr Hyde commended the efforts of those responsible for organising the Jubilee Beacon on the Mound. It was a successful event and enjoyed by many residents.

14.2 Cllr Hyde reported that the footpath between Sherington and Newport Pagnell needs siding out again. It was agreed to contact Environmental Services and request it but to ask that the spoil is taken away instead of left behind. ACTION: Clerk

14.3 Cllr Hyde reported that the Landscaping team have cleared up the path on Carters Close next to the green, but not the path that leads to the High St. It was agreed to request this. ACTION: Clerk

14.4 Cllr Keene reported that the steps on the Mound are falling apart due to the pegs on the risers being installed the wrong way round ACTION: Clerk

15. DATE OF NEXT MEETING The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 10th July 2012 at the Pavilion commencing at 7.30 pm. There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.15 pm

          Pages 1402 to 1404  

Previous Meeting - Back to PARISH COUNCIL MINUTES INDEX - Next Meeting

Home Page - About Us - Minutes - Newsletters - Our Needs - Membership - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 11 February 2018