Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Parish Council Minutes

June 2004

Minutes of the Meeting held on Tuesday 1st June 2004 at the Village Hall at 7.30pm.

PRESENT: : Cllr David Hyde (Chair), Cllr David Keene, Cllr Bob Finn, Cllr Sarah Jackson, Cllr Peter Cook.

1. APOLOGIES: Cllr Peter Burton, Cllr Bill Lewis.

2. DECLARATIONS OF MEMBERS INTERESTS: Cllr Cook declared an interest in item 4.8. (Stonepits Close).

3. MINUTES OF LAST MEETING: The minutes of the meeting held on 5th May 2004 were agreed as a true record and signed by the Chair. The minutes of the Annual Meeting held on the same day, were also agreed and signed as a true record.


4.1 Gateway Feature/Speed Limit: : A revised drawing has been received from Milton Keynes Council for the Gateway Feature. It was agreed that this should be circulated and listed for full discussion at the next meeting.

4.2 Multi Activity Area: There have been no firm proposals for the suggested Youth Shelter in this area.

4.3 Village Appraisal: We now have a hard copy of the appraisal, the Chair thanked Cllr Finn for his work. Councillors will now go through it and make any necessary amendments.

4.4 Village Trees: There are no further reported problems. Revd Stanton-Saringer had provided details of Horse Chestnut Bleeding Canker, which is the reason for trees in the churchyard having to be felled. This will be circulated.

4.5 Perry Lane Recreation Area: Minutes of the last meeting have been circulated. There is concern about the condition of the interior of the pavilion and the need to set up a cleaning and maintenance regime. It was felt that this was linked to the hire charges of the field and should be discussed when the meeting with the football clubs takes place (during next two weeks). Suggestion that two cradle swings are installed, also fencing around the equipment to deter dogs. It was felt by councillors that fencing was not necessary as a) dogs were not allowed in the area and b) there was little danger from traffic in this area. It was noted that the fence behind the swings is broken. Keys for the gate will be issued to Sports Ground Services, who are the only contractors who have authorised access to the playing field. Clerk has obtained prices for skips (lowest 115), but so far only one quote for the asbestos removal (550). We are expecting a second price, when this arrives, it was agreed that a decision can be made by the Chair and the work commenced.

4.6 Village Repairs: Some repairs have been carried out in Bedford Road and the kerbing in Gun Lane has been completed. Andy McPherson (MKC) has advised that he will look favourably at the extension of the kerbing in Gun Lane. He hopes to carry out the village inspection during the next two weeks.
Central Networks have inspected the electricity pole in the hedge in Water Lane, this will be moved to the bottom boundary of Mr Gardeners land. Central Networks have suggested that we inform BT that the undergrounding of cables in Water Lane will take place in 2005. This work will mean the loss of three street lights (the replacement cost will be the responsibility of the Parish Council). This item to be put on the July Agenda.
The graffiti that has appeared in the village will be removed shortly

4.7 Cycle Route: Cllr Keene had spoken to Richard Duffill who had advised that the route chosen at the public meeting was now unlikely, due to the cost of drainage. It now looks as if the intention is for the cycle route to go down Albans Hill (although there appears to be no plans to widen the road). The next phase of the path to Alban Hill, is due to be finished by early July.

4.8 Stonepits Close: (Cllr Cook left while this item was discussed). J.W Cook and Sons have made an offer of 100 for Stonepits Close and have asked that the term be for three seasons with a 10 increment each year. It was proposed by Cllr Keene and seconded by Cllr Jackson that this offer be accepted. All agreed.

5. PERRY LANE CAR PARK: The area in front of the garages is in urgent need of repair. There are forthcoming roadworks from which scrapings could be obtained and the holes filled at a cost of approx 700. Clerk has been liasing with various departments at Milton Keynes Council to attempt to get this work done, however the Housing Department, whose responsibility this is, are reluctant to commit to the cost. It was agreed that Cllr Seymour be asked to take up this matter on our behalf. Mr Ranger had sent correspondence to the Parish Council giving the history behind the problems at the south end of the car park (this is the responsibility of the Parish Council). This area will be discussed further in conjunction with the ongoing improvements to the Recreation Area.

6. JUNIOR FOOTBALL PITCH (VILLAGE HALL): A quote had been received from Matta Products to level the pitch and put a safety surface in the goal mouths. Milton Keynes Council had agreed to pay 2,000 of the 4,416 required if the Parish Council would pay the balance. It was agreed that whilst the area was in need of some urgent attention, there was no justification for a safety surface, also the Parish Council have no budget for the balance of the cost. Cllr Cook suggested that the ground could be levelled and re-seeded (early September) at a much cheaper price, he will obtain a quote. In the meantime Cllr Cook will make safe the exposed concrete.

7. FUTURE DEVELOPMENT OF VILLAGE: A letter has been received from Mr Kyte regarding land at Church End Farm, High Street. He asks for the feelings of the Parish Council with regard to possible development. Milton Keynes Council has advised that this site lies within the Conservation Area and is also subject to an Article 4 Direction (with regard to the views of the Church). Sites however can be treated as exceptional for the purposes of Rural Housing Trust Developments (Shared Ownership & Rented only). The subject of affordable housing had been discussed in conjunction with the Village Appraisal, however a full survey of the village would have to take place to establish whether there was a need for this type of housing. Only after this process would the Parish Council be looking at possible suitable areas of land. Clerk asked to reply to Mr Kyte.

8. SEATS & NOTICE BOARDS: Mr Pilcher advised that the seats and notice boards are now almost finished. He advises that some of the seats are not suitable for the purpose and the Council should possibly look at replacements during the next few years. All have currently been repaired.


9.1 The current balances are 12,629.88 in the Enterprise Account and 302.24 in the Treasurer Account.

9.2 Cheques: It was agreed that the following cheques be signed:

Village Hall Meeting Hire 10.50Cheque 101181
Playing Fields Ass Membership 20.00Cheque 101182
J Sharp Clerks Salary 187.50Cheque 101183
Village Hall Meeting Hire 10.50Cheque 101184

Dog Bins: We have been advised by Milton Keynes Council that the cost of emptying has increased to 3 per bin.


04/000675 2 Gun Lane No objections
04/000861 3 Village Close No objections
04/00918 The Swan (New signs) No objections


12. CORRESPONDENCE: Nothing to discuss.


Speed Limit Signs: Mr Sims asked whether it was possible to get enhanced signs for Bedford Road and Gun Lane. Clerk will speak to Milton Keynes Council about this.

14. COUNCILLORS ITEMS: Nothing to discuss.

15. DATE OF NEXT MEETING: : The next Meeting will be held on 6th July 2004 in the VILLAGE HALL at 7.30pm.

The Meeting closed at 9.30pm

Pages 1085 to 1087            

Previous Meeting - Back to PARISH COUNCIL MINUTES INDEX - Next Meeting

Home Page - About Us - Minutes - Newsletters - Our Needs - Membership - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 11 February 2018