Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Parish Council Minutes

June 2008

Minutes of the Meeting of Sherington Parish Council held on Tuesday 3rd June 2008 in Sherington Village Hall commencing at 7.30pm.

PRESENT: Cllrs Peter Burton (Chair), Peter Cook, David Keene, Ian Thomson, David Hyde, David Wright and Lisa Masters

ALSO ATTENDING: Wendy Austyn (Clerk), and briefly Cllr Sam Potts (Sherington Ward).



The minutes of the meeting held on 6th May 2008 were agreed as a true record and signed by the Chairman.


Street lighting and under grounding. The wooden pole outside the village hall has been removed and the steel column on Crofts End will be dealt with over the next few weeks. Aylesbury Mains is currently testing and numbering the new lights. It was agreed to write to Central Networks giving feedback on the whole project and urging them to carry out similar works in other rural parishes where appropriate. The clerk is currently preparing photos and copy to send for publication in local council magazines. ACTION: Clerk, Cllr Hyde

Anglian Water – surface water sewer and ditch. Stephen Portlock is still waiting for funding approval for proposals to make the surface water sewer easier to maintain. ACTION: Clerk

Water Lane remedial works. MKC Highways say it is unlikely that funding will be available from elsewhere but are 99% confident that the work will be carried out in 2009/10. Cllr Sam Potts is currently investigating using reserve funds. ACTION: Clerk

MK Play Association free play sessions. Steve Harrison from MKPA has contacted the parish council offering free children’s play sessions for the duration of one year. It was agreed to offer the Village Hall play area as a venue. ACTION: Clerk

Village Hall footpath repair. The clerk has had trouble getting a commencement date out of the contractor, it was agreed to write a formal letter requesting a start date and if no response is received within a set deadline then the tender will be awarded to the next cheapest contractor. ACTION: Clerk


Cllr Wright reported that Sherington is not eligible for funding towards producing a parish plan from Bucks Community Action but he has spoken to Jan Phillips from MKC who might be able to help. An initial draft has been produced which is to be sent to councillors and it was agreed to meet informally before the next meeting to discuss this in more detail. It was noted that as most of the action items on the village appraisal have been completed, it would be worth reporting on these in one of the first sections of the new parish plan. An Autumn open morning was also suggested. ACTION: Cllr Wright


Cllr Keene reported that some councillors met on site on May 18th and dug trial pits to establish that there is plenty of good quality soil to plant trees in. Approximately 1500 trees will be needed and the central area will be best left open. There is an overhead power cable attached to a wooden pole on the site which if possible should be moved. Cllr Burton met with MKC Landscaping who offered advice and information and possible funding options. Cllr Keene will prepare a proposal with all items being considered and send it to MKC. ACTION: Clerk, Cllr Keene


Monthly balances. Enterprise Account £31394.25; Treasurer Account £1442.11

Cheques for payment were as follows:

03/06/2008Sean’s Outside Services 2 benches repaired at VH £105.00 101569
03/06/2008A H Contracts Dog bins £84.22 101570
03/06/2008Bucks Playing Fields Association Subscription 0809 £20.00 101571
03/06/2008Wendy Austyn Clerk's salary £219.17 101572
03/06/2008Wendy Austyn Clerk's expenses £19.31 101573
03/06/2008Noel Gotts Internal audit fee £67.50 101574
03/06/2008Sherington Village Hall Hall Hire £22.00 101575
03/06/2008Sherington Toddler Group Donation £40.00 101576
03/06/2008St Lauds Church Flower Festival Arrangement £50.00 101577
03/06/2008Colin Scowen Perry Lane caretaker £59.59 101579
03/06/2008Raymond Graham Perry Lane grounds man £120.00 101580
03/06/2008Nina Beal Pavilion cleaner £49.52 101581


08/00774/FUL 12 Gun Lane. Remove rear balcony and erect rear conservatory. There were no adverse comments..


Pavilion building project. Cllr Burton reported that the funding for phase one - to build the new extension to the pavilion is in place and should start on 14th July, however WREN need to issue a contract before an order can be placed with the builder. Two of the funding applications have been declined but are being resubmitted. ACTION: Cllr Burton, Clerk

Pavilion management committee. Cllr Thomson has not been able to progress this; he will now approach potential committee members, together with the paid contractors to hold an initial meeting. ACTION: Cllr Thomson

Meeting with caretaker. The clerk, Cllr Masters and Cllr Cook met with Colin Scowen and discussed the caretaker role, along with specific issues such as minor repair works which are needed; and ways of dealing with youths hanging around the grounds which the clerk has also contacted the police about.


MKNECAF Wed 4th June Emberton pavilion. Cllr Hyde will attend.

Visit to Affordable Housing development at Cheddington Thurs 5th June. Cllrs Cook and Masters agreed to attend.

Councillors’ training Friday 20th June at MKC.A place has been reserved for Cllr Masters.


Lorry Management Strategy. The relevant documents had not been brought to the meeting so it was decided to place this on the July agenda.




Cllr Masters reported unacceptable levels of litter being left on the road recently after the rubbish bags have been collected. Cllr Hyde noted that the lorries are not always equipped with a shovel or broom to sweep up after the bags have been picked up. Cllr Masters agreed to take some photos when this reoccurs. ACTION: Cllr Masters

Cllr Hyde noted the recent resignation of John Cook from the Village Hall committee and trustees.

Cllr Burton reported that both he and Keith Shepherd had spoken to the residents who wrote a letter of complaint about the Beer and Sausage Festival.

Cllr Burton suggested that photographs of the pavilion are taken for archive purposes before the new building work commences.

13. DATE OF NEXT MEETING The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 1st July 2008 at the Village Hall commencing at 7.30pm. There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.07 pm

          Pages 1264 to 1267  

Previous Meeting - Back to PARISH COUNCIL MINUTES INDEX - Next Meeting

Home Page - About Us - Minutes - Newsletters - Our Needs - Membership - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 11 February 2018