Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Parish Council Minutes

June 2009

Minutes of the Meeting of Sherington Parish Council held on Tuesday 2nd June 2009 in Sherington Village Hall commencing at 7.30pm.

PRESENT: Cllrs Peter Burton (Chair), David Keene, David Hyde, Peter Cook, Ian Thomson and Trevor Kirby

ALSO ATTENDING: Wendy Austyn (Clerk), and two other members of the public

1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
None.

2. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
None.

3. MINUTES OF LAST MEETING
The minutes of the meeting held on 5th May 2009 were agreed as a true record and signed by the Chairman.

4. CLERK'S REPORT

4.1 Bus shelter. The new shelter has now been installed; it was agreed to notify the bus companies and TVP of its existence. Some orange piping needs removal. ACTION: Clerk

4.2. Phone box on Knoll. BT has assessed the phone box and declined to repaint it this year.

4.3 Environmental Visual Audit with TVP. This took place on 13th May with Cllrs Hyde and Kirby along with PCSO Tom Booth and Robert Lawrence from MKC. The recreation ground caused the greatest concern with further evidence of vandalism at the nature area. PCSO Tom Booth agreed to visit the area regularly and keep an eye out for youths hanging around. Apart from dog fouling and weeds alongside the kerbs the remainder of the village is in good condition. Collation of the results is awaited.

4.4 Kerbing. Ian Buckle from MKC has confirmed that approximately 50m of kerbing could be installed using the £3000 for highway improvements allocated to the village under Section 106. It was agreed to discuss with MKC on the next walkabout on 17th June.

4.5 Youth Club community work. The clerk asked MKC if it supported the youth club in cleaning the road name signs but it declined for health and safety reasons. It was suggested that the High St bus shelter could be cleaned. The church committee has yet to decide whether it would like the youth club to get involved with the church yard.

4.6. Broken bench play area. The clerk received a report of a smashed up bench in the village hall play area, all traces have now been removed. It is believed this happened over half term. Enquiries are continuing and it was agreed to place a note in SCAN that if anyone has information they should contact a councillor. ACTION: Clerk

4.7 Weed treatment programme. This is due to start on June 18th.

5. PARISH PLAN – FUTURE OF COMMUNITY AND COMMERCIAL FACILITIES

As agreed at the last meeting Cllr Keene has drafted a notice for SCAN inviting residents to an open village meeting on Saturday 5th September 10.30 am. Posters and flyers will be distributed nearer the time. The future of the post office remains uncertain; there are unconfirmed reports that the Swan pub has been purchased and that it will remain as a pub. ACTION: Clerk

6. FINANCE

6.1 Monthly balances. Enterprise Account £4011.42; Treasurer Account £11817.10

6.2 Cheques for payment were as follows:

02/06/2009Wendy Austyn Clerk's salary £261.14 101695
02/06/2009Wendy Austyn Clerk's expenses £29.87 101696
02/06/2009Noel Gotts Internal Auditor fee £67.50101697
02/06/2009Littlethorpe of Leicester Ltd Wooden bus shelter £5,669.50101698
02/06/2009Bucks Playing Fields Association Subscriptions £20.00101699
02/06/2009Allianz Insurance plc Insurance £1,436.47101700
02/06/2009A H Contracts Dog bins £86.62 101701
02/06/2009Acorn Nurseries Stonepits Copse trees £3,312.53 101702
02/06/2009Seans Outside Services Repair fencing at Perry Lane £125.00 101703
02/06/2009Sherington Village Hall Hall hire £22.00 101704
02/06/2009Martin Jeeves Perry Lane booking + caretaker £80.00 101705
02/06/2009D C Blunt Perry Lane groundsman £210.00 101706
02/06/2009Nina Beal Pavilion cleaner £42.00 101707

6.3 Annual Return. The internal audit is complete and the annual return was signed by the chairman and clerk.

6.4 Stonepits Copse. A final invoice for bulb planting and maintenance has now been received which covers the total amount of funding awarded. A completion report is to be filled in and sent off. ACTION: Clerk

7. PLANNING

7.1 09/00718/TPO 6 High St – tree work - No adverse comments.

7.2 Land adj. to 10 Crofts End - it was reported that Ward Cllr Sam Potts is now involved.

7.3 Decisions The application from 5 Bedford Road has been permitted.

8. SHERINGTON SPORTS GROUND

8.1. Pavilion building/refurbishment project. Cllr Burton reported that MKC has awarded £6k towards the refurbishment project - this and construction of the new porch will begin next week. A meeting between the football clubs and MKC is to be arranged to discuss relocation of the main pitch. Drawings are being done for the external area around the new extension to include steps and a retaining wall. This will then go to tender. WREN held a recent meeting in the pavilion; reports are that the attendees were impressed with the new extension. ACTION: Cllr Burton, Clerk

8.2. Pavilion management group. Cllr Thomson reported that the hire prices may need reviewing. It was agreed to pay for an advert in SCAN for 6 months and place posters/flyers/business cards around the village. The caretaker has resigned and the current booking clerk Martin Jeeves has agreed to take over. It was agreed to offer £100 per month for the combined role, the job specification for which needs reviewing. The nature area has been badly abused since its creation, it was agreed to leave it for the time being. The BMX track needs more attention as stones come to the surface and then get spread over the football field. It was agreed to enquire whether MKC could lay a safer surface on the track. Cllr Cook will arrange to move the old roller away from the pitch. Access through the emergency gate needs reviewing. The weeds have now been sprayed. The date of the next pavilion management committee meeting is Wednesday 8th July. ACTION: Clerk, Cllr Thomson, Cllr Cook

9. EXTERNAL MEETINGS

9.1. Streetcare walkabout This has been arranged for Wednesday 17th June 9.30am

9.2. MKC Planning seminar 1st July Cllr Kirby will attend

9.3. NECAF 3rd June Sherington Pavilion Cllr Kirby will attend.

9.4. NAG Rural North 4th June Sherington Pavilion Cllr Hyde will attend.

10. CORRESPONDENCE

10.1 Fence damage. A letter has been received from TVP containing details of the incident involving the fence at the recreation ground. It was agreed to try and claim the repair cost from the other parties’ insurers. ACTION: Clerk

10.2 Sherington Bridge. A letter has been received expressing concern over parking outside Bridge Leys Cottage. It was agreed to contact TVP and MKC. ACTION: Clerk

10.3 New post box on Knoll. A resident has expressed concern over lack of footpath on the proposed site, it was confirmed the new box will be placed next to the current hard standing.

10.4 Church alterations. A resident has notified the parish council of petitions against the alterations currently circulating the village. Cllr Hyde commented that the church pays the “parish share” and that the church committee has been open about its plans for re-ordering.

11. PUBLIC COMMENTS

11.1. A resident asked if the small car park on School Lane next to the Rectory could be better maintained.

11.2. It was suggested that the junction of Gun Lane and Field Close be considered for kerbing.

11.3. Alan Simms commented that he was asked to hold a petition for signatures about the church.

11.4. A resident stated that the parish council should divorce itself from matters of the church.

12. COUNCILLORS ITEMS

There were none.

13. DATE OF NEXT MEETING The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 7th July 2009 at the Village Hall commencing at 7.30pm. There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.10 pm

          Pages 1295 to 1297  

Previous Meeting - Back to PARISH COUNCIL MINUTES INDEX - Next Meeting

Home Page - About Us - Minutes - Newsletters - Our Needs - Membership - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 11 February 2018