Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Parish Council Minutes

March 2010

Minutes of the Meeting of Sherington Parish Council held on Tuesday 2nd March 2010 in Sherington Village Hall commencing at 7.30pm.

PRESENT: Cllrs Peter Burton (Chair), David Hyde, David Keene, Ian Thomson and Trevor Kirby

ALSO ATTENDING: Wendy Austyn (Clerk) and six members of the public

Cllr Cook. The chairman reported that candidates had come forward for the councillor vacancy and an appointment was to be made in time for the April meeting.


The minutes of the meeting held on 2nd February 2010 were agreed as a true record and signed by the Chairman.


4.1 Salt Bins. Suggested locations were agreed as Perry Lane near the square, School Lane outside the school, corner of Crofts End with Carters Close, the Knoll area and on Church Road near the village hall. Salt Bins are named on the agenda of the next NECAF meeting so the process of ordering and using will hopefully be clarified then.. ACTION: Cllr Hyde, Clerk

4.2 Play Areas update. MKC have been at both play areas carrying out minor repairs as recommended by the inspection reports. Kate Davidson has suggested some new play equipment that would be funded partly by the parish council, Play Area Improvement Fund and MKC; the proposed budget includes installation and safety surfacing. It was agreed to wait for the funding approval before progressing this.

4.3 April 2010 meeting start time. The chairman requested an earlier start time of 7pm due to holiday commitments. It was agreed to keep the start time to 7.30pm so as not to confuse other people and someone will have to take over chairing the meeting if necessary.

4.4 Proposed parking prevention order. It has been clarified that only specifically requested roads will be included in the enforcement order, none of which are currently in Sherington as none have yet been requested. Cllr Hyde will ask for clarification at the NECAF meeting on 3rd March.. ACTION: Cllr Hyde


Cllr Burton reported that he and Cllr Keene met with the Conservation and Highways Officers at MKC who were very helpful and constructive about revising the application, solutions regarding car parking, elevations, building line etc were all offered. The architect is now drawing up new plans which are to be submitted asap. The business plan has just been received and is to be reviewed; costings from the surveyor are still awaited. The village meeting provisionally planned for 20th March has been postponed as a decision is hoped for mid April. ACTION: Cllr Burton, Clerk


Cllr Keene has yet to clarify the two year maintenance agreement for the site but will do so asap. Deep holes have been discovered next to many of the young trees; it is assumed these have been made by an animal. It was agreed to revisit the site on a regular basis and ensure any exposed roots are covered up to prevent long term damage. ACTION:Cllr Keene Cllr Kirby


Cllr Keene briefly affirmed that within the recently updated MKC Core Strategy that outlines the general framework for development throughout the Milton Keynes borough up to 2026, Sherington is named as a village selected for limited development i.e. 20-40 houses. This is in accordance with Sherington Parish Councilís policy in order to sustain village growth and facilities. Any development would of course be subject to many considerations including adequate infrastructure, in particular the sewage system. It was agreed that it would be appropriate to invite an MKC representative to a parish council meeting to talk about possible proposals for Sherington at a later date.


8.1 Monthly Balances Enterprise Account £2135.17; Treasurer Account £1873.14

8.2 Cheques for payment were as follows:

02/03/2010A H Contracts Dog bins £82.25 101780
02/03/2010Sherington Village Hall Hall hire £44.00 101781
02/03/2010Milton Keynes Council New litter bin on Knoll £183.30 101782
02/03/2010Martin Jeeves Perry Lane booking + caretaker £100.00 101783
02/03/2010Wendy Austyn Clerk's salary £206.21 101784
02/03/2010Wendy Austyn Clerk's expenses £19.67 101785
02/03/2010Nina Beal Pavilion cleaner £74.49 101786
02/03/2010Thompsons MK Ltd Business plan for shop £763.75 101787

8.3 Sports pitch mowing contractt Renewal was agreed at unchanged cost of £69 per cut.

8.4 Standing Orders amendmentl The clerk confirmed and all agreed that the standing orders should be amended as underlined to read:
22. a) Three estimates or quotations must be obtained for purchases or works which exceed £1000.00 unless as stated in b).
b) Regular payments are exempt from the Standing Order in a); this includes contracts where the total annual fee does not exceed £2000 and thus being entirely satisfied with the supply of goods and/or services provided councillors agree to approve the renewal of the contract without obtaining further quotations.

8.5 Bank charge The clerk is discussing with HSBC a £72 charge that has been imposed due to the account becoming inadvertently overdrawn in January. ACTION: Clerk


9.1 10/00222/FUL 3 Maryot Close Ė single storey rear extension. No adverse comments

9.2 Decisions. There were none.


10.1. Pavilion management group. Cllr Thomson reported that the main user of the new reception room has had to withdraw due to the unsuitability of the non-slip floor surface. The chairman urged all to come up with alternative solutions. The flooring contractor is still being chased to resolve the current problems. The pitch condition has deteriorated recently, MKC are due to carry out urgent maintenance this week. An unexpectedly high water bill has been received; the clerk will contact Anglian Water in the first instance. ACTION: Clerk, Cllr Thomson, Cllr Burton


11.1. NECAF meeting Wednesday 3rd March 7.30pm Lavendon Village Hall.

11.1. NAG meeting Tuesday 23rd March 7pm Sherington Pavilion


A letter has been received from Church End residents concerning damage to verges and property by parked cars. To be put on Aprilís agenda.


13.1. Bedford Road is suffering particularly from pot holes. The clerk urged the public to report potholes directly to MKC rather than wait until a monthly parish council meeting. SCAN magazine and the village website give the appropriate contact details. ACTION: Clerk

13.2. The Hustings evening is to be held in St Laudís church as the village hall cannot be hired on a Sunday.

13.3. Concern was raised that the currents mains sewer is not adequate to take on any more capacity resulting from limited development as reported in item 7.

13.4. Concerns were expressed over the increasing amount of dog fouling in the village especially on School Lane. The pubic are urged to be vigilant and report any offenders.


14.1. Cllr Keene suggested a ďVillage Clean UpĒ morning to clear the village of litter. It was suggested that litter pickers be borrowed from MKC and that the youth club be involved. To be put on Aprilís agenda.

14.2. Cllr Keene reported that the bench opposite Manor Farm has been damaged beyond repair and the pieces need clearing away from the site. ACTION: All cllrs

15. DATE OF NEXT MEETING The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 6th April 2010 at the Village Hall commencing at 7.30 pm. There being no further business the meeting closed at 8.37pm

          Pages 1327 to 1329  

Previous Meeting - Back to PARISH COUNCIL MINUTES INDEX - Next Meeting

Home Page - About Us - Minutes - Newsletters - Our Needs - Membership - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 11 February 2018