Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Parish Council Minutes

March 2011

Minutes of the Meeting of Sherington Parish Council held on Tuesday 1st March 2011 in Sherington Village Hall commencing at 7.30pm.

PRESENT: Cllrs P Burton (Chair), D Keene, D Hyde, T Kirby, J Ager and I Thomson

ALSO ATTENDING: Wendy Austyn (Clerk) and 4 members of the public

Cllr Northfield.


The minutes of the meeting held on 1st February 2011 were agreed as a true record and signed by the Chairman


4.1 Ditches Alban Hill and Gun Lane. The ditches are reported as completely blocked up and allowing all water to run onto the roads. It was agreed to contact MKC in the first instance and ask them to be cleared. ACTION: Clerk

4.2 Parish Council Elections. Nomination forms are now available from the clerk and must be delivered to MKC by noon on Monday 4th April 2011.

4.3 New climbing frame at VH play area. This has now been installed and is intended for children with a minimum age of 7 years. It was agreed to ask MKC if a small sign was available to state this, and place a note in SCAN asking parents to supervise their children accordingly. ACTION: Clerk

4.4 Road surface dressing programme for Sherington. The road from Sherington to Newport Pagnell will be included in the 2011/12 surface dressing schedule, with the High St being pushed back to 2012/13.


In Cllr Northfield’s absence, Nigel Blight reported that Shopco has met with the village hall trustees who have no major concerns over placing a temporary building on the site opposite the village hall; MKC Planning do not foresee any significant issues being raised either. A new business plan has been produced; it is currently estimated that £55000 will be needed to purchase, transport and install the porta-cabin from Frensham together with utilities, setup costs and initial stock. Newspapers would be sold but not delivered; a post office counter is hoped for but not guaranteed. A village meeting will be held on Saturday 5th March at 11am in the village hall which will include a Q&A session. ACTION: Cllr Northfield


Councillors met informally after the last parish council meeting; Cllr Ager is currently updating the document with details of what has changed and improved in the village over the last few years. He asked for input from other councillors where appropriate. ACTION: All cllrs


7.1 Monthly Balances Enterprise Account £3955.10; Treasurer Account £2212.25

7.2 Cheques for payment were as follows:

01/03/2011Sherington Village Hall Hall Hire £33.00 101879
01/03/2011A H Contracts Dog bins £84.00 101880
01/03/2011UK Table Tennis Ltd Youth club equipment £1,345.80 101881
01/03/2011Martin Jeeves Perry Lane caretaker/bookings £100.00 101882
01/03/2011Wendy Austyn Clerk's salary £182.23 101883
01/03/2011Wendy Austyn Clerk's expenses £29.55 101884
01/03/2011Sherington Youth Club Youth fund 2010/11 £78.50 101885
01/03/2011Nina Beal Pavilion cleaner £52.50 101886

7.3 Estimated cost to resurface VH car park An estimate of £500 has been obtained to have sufficient 20mm shingle delivered to adequately resurface the car park. It was agreed to ask the village hall trustees if they would be prepared to contribute towards this as they own part of the car park. ACTION: Clerk


8.1. 11/00096/FUL 25 Crofts End – Erection of side and rear extensions, single storey front extension including new roof with increased ridge height to create rooms in roof space and detached garage. The Parish Council agreed to object to the current application because it represents overdevelopment of the site both in terms of height and massing. Planning consent has already been granted for an enlargement to the original planning consent issued in 2005. The Parish Council is disappointed to note that the applicant has already largely constructed the development which is now being applied for and is seeking to regularise the position by seeking a retrospective consent. The Parish Council is very concerned that this flouting of planning control is undermining public confidence in the planning system.

8.2. 11/00107/FUL The Swan Inn – change of use application from public house to dwelling house. The parish council reluctantly agreed that this application for change of use was inevitable, and had no objections. The landlord has been approached by the Shopco committee but this option is not feasible.

8.3. 11/000125/CLUP 45 High St – certificate of lawful development (proposed) for part re-building and restoration of outbuildings to habitable accommodation ancillary to the existing circumstances. There were no adverse comments.

8.4. 11/000141/TCA The Old Rectory – notification of intent to reduce crown of Ash tree by 40%. Permission has already been granted by MKC.


9.1. Pavilion exterior landscaping. Cllr Burton reported that the work is continuing and due to bad weather should now be completed by middle of March. ACTION: Clerk

9.2. Pavilion management group. Cllr Thomson reported that initial meetings to organise a summer fete have been encouraging. The issue of lighting in the car park was discussed, it was agreed to ask MKC if they would install another streetlamp. Better soffit lighting on the pavilion itself is also needed. ACTION: Clerk


10.1. Shopco public meeting Saturday 5th March 11am village hall

10.2. NECAF Wednesday 9th March 7.30pm Astwood Village Hall.




12.1. A resident reported a tree blocking the light from the last street lamp on Gun Lane. ACTION: Clerk

12.2. Branches were reported as blocking the pavement on Sherington Road to Newport Pagnell.

12.3. Potholes were discussed, the public were reminded that it was not solely up to the parish council to report them to MKC – all village residents have the contact details and should report potholes as soon as possible, and the more reports to MKC the better. It was suggested that a list of Sherington potholes from the MKC database be requested and published on the village website, and an enquiry be made as to MKC’s current ability to repair them. ACTION: Clerk

12.4. A resident had asked for the plane tree at the top of School Lane to be thinned and the landscaping team came out but only trimmed the lower branches. It was agreed to ask them to revisit. ACTION: Clerk

12.5. Buses are wearing away the verges on Bedford Road.


13.1 Cllr Thomson suggested an Adult Fitness Trail like the one at Emberton Park as a future project.

13.2 Cllr Hyde reported that the street lamp on Crofts End opposite School Lane is leaning over. ACTION: Clerk

13.3 Cllr Kirby reported a wild cherry tree possibly lifting a wall outside 2 Park Road. ACTION: Clerk

14. DATE OF NEXT MEETING The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 5th April 2011 at the Village Hall commencing at 7.30 pm. There being no further business the meeting closed at 9pm

          Pages 1359 to 1361  

Previous Meeting - Back to PARISH COUNCIL MINUTES INDEX - Next Meeting

Home Page - About Us - Minutes - Newsletters - Our Needs - Membership - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 11 February 2018