Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Parish Council Minutes

March 2007

Minutes of the Meeting of Sherington Parish Council held on Tuesday 6th March 2007 in Sherington Village Hall commencing at 7.30pm.

PRESENT: Cllrs Bill Lewis (Chair), David Hyde (Vice Chair), Peter Cook, David Keene, Peter Burton, and David Wright

ATTENDING: Wendy Austyn (Clerk) and 1 public.

1. APOLOGIES Cllr Finn

2. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST Cllr Cook declared an interest in the Woods Hardwick item under Village Appraisal.

3. MINUTES OF LAST MEETING The minutes of the meeting held on 6h February 2007 were agreed as a true record and signed by the Chairman.

4. MATTERS ARISING

4.1. Cycle Path The safety audit results for the Alban Hill stretch have finally been received (the audit took place in October 2006) and the recommendations include retaining the solid double lines in the centre of the road, placing broken white lines at both sides indicating “advisory” cycle lanes only and adequate signage. Other suggestions include a 40mph speed limit and restricted access hours but this raised concern over reduction of trade to the local amenities. It would also seem that Thames Valley Police have not yet been consulted. The council still awaits the plans for the Alban Hill route and for the route into Newport Pagnell and it was agreed to ask that this project now be progressed as quickly as possible. ACTION: Clerk.

4.2 Anglian Water follow up. Stephen Portlock has not yet had time to carry out a thorough investigation into the queries raised at the last meeting. He has however stated that the foul sewer will be sleeved from the end of Water Lane to the sewage treatment works in June 07. It was agreed to ask him whether this includes the section outside Phil Smith’s house. ACTION: Clerk The council would like to make clear that it dissociates itself with the inaccurate comments made about the February meeting in the recent local press.

5. VILLAGE REPAIRS

5.1. Footpath to Newport Pagnell. The inspection has been carried out and the footpath is to be “sided out” in May/June 2007. MKC will also be contacting the landowners to get trees and hedges cut back. ACTION: Clerk to chase

5.2. Streetcare Rural Pilot Scheme. The walkabout took place on Tuesday 6th March with Ian McGregor, Cllrs Lewis, Hyde and Wright in attendance, along with the Clerk. Some items are for remedial action and others are to be entered into future works programmes. It was noted that the High Street will be “surface dressed” in summer 2008; and that grass verges will be “haunched” once their condition becomes severe enough. The spreadsheet has been simplified and the council now awaits the information gathered on the walkabout to be presented, so that issues can be prioritised. ACTION: Clerk to chase. It was also agreed to keep a close eye on the verge next to the gas works that MacAlpine is currently using, to ensure it is left in an acceptable state.

5.3. Mound. The Mound was litter picked on 6th March after repeated emails from the Clerk and Pat Seymour, but MKC are steadfast in refusing to place a litter bin on the site. Chris Carvell is looking into exactly what maintenance has been agreed as part of the adoption package. ACTION: Clerk to chase

5.4. Missing Bin. Neither MKC nor its contractor has any information as to why the Perry Lane bin has disappeared. It was agreed to ask for it to be replaced. ACTION: Clerk

5.5. Path through Village Hall play area. The clerk confirmed that there is approximately £1400 of Parish Partnership matched funding available towards the refurbishment of the path. It was agreed to approach MKC in the first instance for advice on how to proceed. ACTION: Clerk

5.5. Corn Close barrier. The second barrier has now been reinstated but on the streetcare walkabout Ian McGregor confirmed that it does not conform to current regulations. He will look into a new barrier that would allow access for wheelchairs and double buggies but maintain safety standards. ACTION: Clerk to chase

6.UNDERGROUNDING AND STREET LIGHTING

Cllr Hyde has spoken to Bob Semple from MacAlpine who has confirmed that the current works will be temporarily halted from Wednesday 14th March. Plans for the remainder of the village have now been produced and the final phase is expected to commence this summer. The clerk confirmed that the new street lights have been ordered and should arrive in good time. ACTION: Cllr Hyde and Clerk to progress

7. CURRENT PROJECTS

7.1 New bench on Carters Close/Crofts End corner. The clerk reported that MKC are happy with the proposed location and have asked that sufficient room on the grass verge be allowed for mowing. Cllr Keene proposed, Cllr Burton seconded and it was agreed to go ahead with the purchase and installation of the new bench. ACTION: Clerk.

7.2 New bus shelter on School Lane. This is still only a proposal but the clerk suggested that the Parish Partnership Fund 2007/08 be utilised to secure 50% of the necessary funding should the project go ahead. This was agreed. ACTION: Clerk. MKC has carried out a safety audit and are happy, but there are many factors to consider, in particular the exact location, and it was also agreed to contact MK Metro for their input. ACTION: Clerk to progress.

8. SHERINGTON SPORTS GROUND

8.1 Caretaker's report. The caretaker’s February report noted the damage to the pavilion door, the repairs to the storage hut and requested black sacks. ACTION: Clerk.

8.2 Pavilion repairs. The guttering has not yet been repaired; it was agreed to accept a quote of £60 to repair the pavilion door and to pay £35 for remedial plumbing work already carried out. Other repairs such as mesh on the windows, new door locks and exterior decorating were also discussed. The clerk reported that MKC has agreed to clear the car park weeds. ACTION: Clerk to chase.

8.3 Storage Hut repairs. . Cllr Burton reported that Carterton Concrete have completed repair work to the storage hut. The clerk will now process the insurance claim. ACTION: Clerk.

8.4 Football pitch relocate and repair. The Clerk reported that quotes to repair the goal mouths and create a temporary pitch including marking out have been accepted. Sherington FC expects its final fixture date to be around mid May.

8.5 Pavilion refurbishment. Cllr Burton reported that Ray Rowan has prepared initial drawings and it was agreed to accept his quote for further work at £25 per hour. The electricity supply and water supply need to be reviewed and it was agreed to contact Powergen for their advice ACTION: Cllr Burton. The possibility of disabled access was also mentioned. The clerk confirmed that there is £4000 of allocated funds in the bank and approximately £7200 of matched funding available. It was also agreed to pursue MK Grantscape for additional funding ACTION: Clerk and Cllr Burton.

9. VILLAGE APPRAISAL

9.1 Post Office network consultation. Cllr Keene agreed to draft a response to this consultation that requests village needs to be taken into consideration. ACTION: Cllr Keene.

9.2 Parish Boundary review. It was agreed that no response was necessary .

9.3 Woods Hardwick letter re potential development in village. Councillors noted the contents but agreed to revisit this item after the May elections.

10. MAY ELECTIONS The clerk has received the nomination packs, these must be submitted to MKC no earlier than 23rd March and no later than 4th April 2007. ACTION: Cllrs wishing to restand

11. STONEPITS CLOSE, MILL LANE The clerk reported that no bids have yet been received to rent the land this season. It was acknowledged that if no one comes forward the council will have to mow and maintain the land this year. Turning the land into some kind of wooded, public open space, possibly for picnics, was discussed. Cllrs Keene and Cook will make contact with the Woodland Trust, Parks Trust, Forestry Commission etc to get some ideas and advice. ACTION: Cllrs Keene and Cook. Turning the land into a cricket pitch was also discussed.

12. FINANCE

12.1 Monthly balances. Enterprise Account £19496.64; Treasurer Account £2352.15.

12.2 Renew contract for sports ground mowing. There will be no price increase this year and it was agreed to renew the contract.

12.3 Cheques for payment were as follows:

06/03/07Sherington Village Hall Hall Hire Dec and Feb £22.00 101433
06/03/07P Burton Pavilion padlocks and keys £54.90 101434
06/03/07W Austyn Clerk's salary £219.97 101435
06/03/07W Austyn Clerk's expenses £41.57 101436
06/03/07Carterton Concrete Ltd Storage Hut repairs £822.50 101437
06/03/07J Arnold Plumbing pavilion £35.00 101438
06/03/07A H Contracts Dog bins £41.36 101439
06/03/07S Lea Caretaker £50.00 101440
06/03/07N Beal Pavilion cleaner £44.00 101441

13. PLANNING

13.1. Recent planning decisions
Applications for 26 School Lane and land adjacent to 10 Crofts End were permitted; the application for 4 Village Close has been refused.

14. EXTERNAL MEETINGS

14.1. TVP Parish Consultative Meeting Thurs Mar 8th 7.30pm NP Town Council. Cllr Lewis will attend.

14.2. MKNECAF Thurs Mar 29th 7.30pm Sherington Village Hall. Cllrs Hyde, Keene and Burton will attend.

15. CORRESPONDENCE

15.1. Clean Neighbourhood and Environment Act. It was agreed to adopt this act. ACTION: Clerk.

16. PUBLIC COMMENTS

There were none.

17. COUNCILLORS ITEMS

17.1. Cllr Burton enquired about a replacement tree in the play area for one that has died, Cllr Cook confirmed that this has now been planted.

17.2. Cllr Wright reported that the junior football pitch was waterlogged and had inadequate drainage. It was acknowledged that the whole play area was very muddy and due to uneven ground has places where the ground remains wet for some time. Putting a lorry load of bark chippings down was suggested. It was agreed to monitor the situation before deciding on any action.

17.3. Cllr Keene reported that the proposals for the new Grand Union Canal link from Bedford to MK are being presented for consultation on 10th and 11th March at Broughton Hotel and Lakeside pub, Willen Lake respectively.

17.4. Cllr Lewis reported that a resident had enquired about details of planning consent granted to Sherington Bridge Farm, did it include having vehicles for sale on the drive. ACTION: Clerk to enquire.

17.5. Cllr Lewis reported on future events being hosted by the Twinning Association that include the AGM on 7th March; a quiz night on 9th March; a village Talent Contest on 23rd June; and the summer BBQ on 15th July at Perry Lane Recreation Ground.

17.6. Cllr Hyde reported that the Perry Lane facilities had been recently hired out to a junior football team as a one off and that there are no set procedures or charges for when this occurs. ACTION: Clerk to progress.

18. DATE OF NEXT MEETING The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 3rd April 2007 in the Village Hall at 7.30pm. There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.23pm.

          Pages 1222 to 1225  

Previous Meeting - Back to PARISH COUNCIL MINUTES INDEX - Next Meeting

Home Page - About Us - Minutes - Newsletters - Our Needs - Membership - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 11 February 2018