Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Parish Council Minutes

March 2009

Minutes of the Meeting of Sherington Parish Council held on Tuesday 3rd March 2009 in Sherington Village Hall commencing at 7.30pm.

PRESENT: Peter Burton (Chair), David Keene, David Hyde, Peter Cook and Ian Thomson

ALSO ATTENDING: Wendy Austyn (Clerk), and four members of the public

Cllr Wright. The chairman reported that Cllr Wright has announced his intention to resign after the April meeting; Cllr Thomson announced that he has decided to withdraw his resignation and stay on the parish council.


The minutes of the meeting held on 3rd February 2009 were agreed as a true record and signed by the Chairman.


Bus shelter. This has now been signed off by MKC and the granite kerbs are in stock. An installation date is now awaited. ACTION: Clerk

Complaint re Land adj. to 10 Crofts End. David Hackforth, Head of MKC Planning has sent his written response which concluded that he considered that MKC officers had acted correctly and in line with government advice. Councillors agreed to continue to monitor the issue, especially as a retaining wall is now being built which would appear to further reduce vehicular access to the rear of the building.


Cllr Keene reported that almost the entire basic planting framework is now in place including a hedge, these may need watering in the summer if it is very dry. Other items like paths, seating, stile, bins etc still to be decided but the footbridge needs urgent repair. The community involvement has been put back to November and this is when the bulbs will be planted too. ACTION: Cllr Cook, Cllr Keene


Cllr Keene commented on this current consultation which proposes to implement a scheme that will enforce footway and verge parking contraventions.


Monthly balances. £14669.50; Treasurer Account £16221.31

Cheques for payment were as follows:

03/03/2009Wendy Austyn Clerk's salary £356.23 101680
03/03/2009Wendy Austyn Clerk's expenses £30.66 101661
03/03/2009Sherington Village Hall Hall hire £44.00101662
03/03/2009Milton Keynes Flooring Company Ltd Pavilion extension floor £862.50 101663
03/03/2009Kash-N-Karry Fabrics Pavilion curtains £1,080.88 101664
03/03/2009A H Contracts Dog bins £82.43 101665
03/03/2009R C Builders & Contractors Pavilion extension £12,673.00 101666
03/03/2009Wendy Austyn Pavilion extension items £95.33 101667
03/03/2009Nina Beal Pavilion cleaner £28.00 101668
03/03/2009Colin Scowen Perry Lane caretaker £50.00 101669

Football pitch mowing. The continued price of £69 per time to mow the football pitch by Sports Ground Services was agreed. ACTION: Clerk


09/00106/FUL 16 Crofts End – convert outbuildings plus rear extension - No adverse comment.

08/02118/FULEIS Bozeat Wind Farm - no adverse comments.

Decisions Applications from Bridge House, Sherington Road and 45 High St have been permitted; the application from Alban Hill nursery has been refused.


9.1. Pavilion building project. Cllr Burton reported that the new extension phase is now being signed off with the architect’s completion certificate awaited and there is now a 3 month defects period to report any problems. Funding is still being sought for the refurbishment with an application to BIFFA about to be submitted. The application to Co-op was unsuccessful. ACTION: Cllr Burton, Clerk

9.2. Pavilion management group. Cllr Thomson reported from the meeting held on 25th February. Salient points: water is pooling outside the front entrance; adverts are going out and a few bookings are coming in; strict instructions regarding hire to be issued and displayed; 80 people can be seated; financial transactions to be processed through the parish council as normal. The clerk confirmed that there is no licence to sell alcohol on the premises, but visitors may bring their own. ACTION: Cllr Thomson, Masters, Clerk

9.3. Pitch maintenance. It was agreed to employ MKC to carry out much needed pitch maintenance, Cllr Burton will meet with Euan Darling to devise a plan. The proposal to install a junior pitch was agreed, either with or without having to relocate the full size pitch, Cllr Burton to discuss options with MKC. ACTION: Cllr Burton

9.4. Pavilion showers. Cllr Burton reported that the refurbishment to the showers is now complete. Instructions with regards to switching the water heater on and off to prevent very high utility bills need to be clarified. ACTION: Cllr Burton, Clerk


10.1. MKNECAF Wed 4th March Cllr Hyde will attend


11.1 Post Office. A letter has been received from a resident to support a request for a larger posting box in the village.

11.2 The Manor House planning application. A copy of a letter to MKC has been received expressing concern over the presence of great crested newts in the area being considered for development.


12.1. A mobile speed camera was reported on the High St. The clerk will endeavour to obtain some feedback from TVP. ACTION: Clerk

12.2. Further to last month, there was more discussion about ditches and gullies at the Sherington Bridge turn. The clerk and Cllr Cook will contact MKC to try and resolve the underlying issues. Cllr Thomson reported flooding on the Chicheley Hill roundabout. ACTION: Clerk, Cllr Cook

12.3. There are still some broken kerb setts at the bottom of Crofts End. ACTION: Clerk


13.1. Cllr Cook raised concern over the amount of paperwork and emails that councillors are expected to sift through. The clerk suggested that this be brought up for discussion at the MKNECAF. ACTION: Clerk

13.2. Cllr Cook expressed concern again over the blocked ditches in High St. A resident offered information about the ditches and gullies in Gun Lane which are likely to be exacerbating the problem. Cllr Cook to contact MKC.

13.3. Cllr Keene reported the further erosion of verges on Bedford Road.

13.4. Cllr Hyde noted that The Swan pub is now up for sale.

13.5. Cllr Hyde asked for an update on the post office. It was agreed to contact Ray and Teddy in the first instance. ACTION: Cllr Hyde

13.6. Cllr Burton reported that £252 was raised for the MK Community Foundation car raffle, half of which the parish council receives back for its own funds.

13.7. Cllr Burton reported that a complaint has been received about hedge trimmings being left on the road on Water Lane. He has contacted the resident concerned.

13.8. Cllr Burton asked for an update on Anglian Water’s intention to commence work on the ditch behind Smiths Yard. Cllr Cook reported that he has not yet been contacted with an intended start date.

14. DATE OF NEXT MEETING The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 7th April 2009 at the Village Hall commencing at 7.30pm. There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.05pm

          Pages 1285 to 1287  

Previous Meeting - Back to PARISH COUNCIL MINUTES INDEX - Next Meeting

Home Page - About Us - Minutes - Newsletters - Our Needs - Membership - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 11 February 2018