Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Parish Council Minutes

May 2003

Minutes of the Meeting at the School on Tuesday 6th May 2003 at 7.30pm.

PRESENT: Cllr David Keene, Cllr Peter Burton, Cllr Bill Lewis, Cllr David Hyde, Cllr Pat Seymour (Milton Keynes Council).


2. MINUTES OF LAST MEETING: The minutes of the Meeting held on 1st April 2003 were agreed as a true record and signed by the Chairman.

3. ELECTION OF CHAIRMAN & VICE CHAIRMAN: Cllr Keene was proposed as Chair by Cllr Lewis and seconded by Cllr Hyde. Cllr Keen accepted the position. Cllr Hyde was proposed as Vice Chair by Cllr Burton and seconded by Cllr Lewis. Cllr Hyde accepted the position.


4 .1 Village Appraisal: Nothing further to report.

4. 2 Repairs in Village: Potholes in Bedford Road are currently being repaired. Quotation has been received from T Pilcher to refurbish the seats and Noticeboards (boards 25 each, seats 15-25 each). It was proposed by Cllr Lewis and seconded by Cllr Hyde that this quote be accepted. All agreed.

4. 3 Village Hall Car Park: Mr J Cook had advised the Council that a path around the Village Hall would cost approx 1,200. Cllr Keene will speak to Mr Cook before next meeting, when it will be discussed again. ACTION: Cllr Keene

5.YOUTH INFORMATION SERVICE: Samantha Parrott attended and explained how the service worked, and that a trailer with all types of information would be parked on the Village Hall car park for two hour periods. It was proposed by Cllr Lewis and seconded by Cllr Burton that the Youth Information Service be invited to attend the village during the school holidays. Notices will be posted in advance.

6.THAMES VALLEY POLICE: PC Karen Sobers attended and gave the crime figures for the year April 2002-April 2003. There were 10 reported crimes in all, 2 of which were distraction burglaries. Leaflets advising of these had been circulated through the shop, also stickers for the home. PC Sobers than answered questions put by Councillors and the Public.

7. ACTIVITY AREA: A group of young people attended from the Perry Lane area of the village, requesting that a hard surface for ball games be placed in the Perry Lane Recreation Ground. It was explained that a project had not yet been agreed, nor had any site yet been established. A public consultation would be carried out before any firm decision is made.

8. VACANCIES: The Parish Council currently has three vacancies. There was no one present who wished to be co-opted, therefore this item will be placed on the June Agenda.


School Governor: Cllr Burton was proposed by Cllr Lewis and seconded by Cllr Hyde.

Village Hall Committee: Cllr Hyde was proposed by Cllr Burton and seconded by Cllr Lewis.

Thames Valley Police: Cllr Lewis to continue.

Playing Field: Cllr Keene to continue.

10. WEBSITE: It was established that the village already has a web-site, which hopefully the Parish Council could use to display Agendas, Minutes etc. Cllr Keene will speak to Mr Vale and ask him whether he is able to attend the next meeting. ACTION: Cllr Keene


Current Balances & Cheques: Clerk provided balance sheet, and a list of cheques for payment.

Accounts/Audit 2002/2003: Clerk produced the accounts, which have been internally audited, together with the Audit form for completion. It was agreed proposed by Cllr Lewis and seconded by Cllr Burton that these be signed as a true record.


03/00698 1A High StreetNo objections
03/00515 2A Water LaneNo objections
03/00514 The GablesNo objections
03/00626 28 Crofts EndNo objections
03/00354 Manor FarmFollowing a request from the Parish Council, we have now been advised that further car parking spaces have now been included in the plans.

Planning Appeal-GFX Hartigan: This appeal is ongoing, we have been advised that the area of land involved has now been altered.

3 Gun Lane: Milton Keynes Council have advised the following some objections, this application has been referred to the Development Control Committee for a decision. The meeting will be held on 28th May 2003.

13. SHERINGTON MOUND: Milton Keynes Council have advised that the work they are planning will cost 6,187.50. They are asking what the Parish Council are willing to contribute towards this. This item will be placed on next Agenda. Cllr Burton advised that the benches had been removed from the mound and were currently in the Village Hall play area.

14.EXTERNAL MEETINGS: No external meetings have been attended during the last month. Cllr Lewis advised of a Parish Councils Planning Seminar which will be held on Wednesday 11th June, to which he will attend.


Section 136 Consultative Committee: Letter asking whether we would like to make a nomination for the vacancy. Will discuss next month.

16. PUBLIC QUESTIONS: There were no questions from the public.


Twinning: Cllr Lewis gave details of the visit to Sameon last weekend.

Seat: Cllr Burton advised that a further seat in the village hall area, needs repair. T Pilcher will look at this.

18. DATE OF NEXT MEETING: This will be held on TUESDAY 3rd JUNE 2003 at 7.30pm.

The Meeting closed at 9.15pm.

Pages 1038 to 1039            


Home Page - About Us - Minutes - Newsletters - Our Needs - Membership - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 11 February 2018