Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Parish Council Minutes

May 2009

Minutes of the Meeting of Sherington Parish Council held on Tuesday 5th May 2009 in Sherington Village Hall commencing at 7.30pm.

PRESENT: Cllrs Peter Burton (Chair), Peter Cook, David Keene, Ian Thomson, David Hyde and Trevor Kirby

ALSO ATTENDING: Wendy Austyn (Clerk), and 9 public

1. TO ELECT THE CHAIRMAN AND VICE CHAIRMAN
Cllr Keene nominated Cllr Burton to be Chairman, seconded by Cllr Thomson and Cllr Burton accepted; Cllr Thomson nominated Cllr Cook to be Vice Chairman, seconded by Cllr Hyde and Cllr Cook accepted. Cllr Burton signed a Declaration of Acceptance of Office.

2. TO CO-OPT NEW COUNCILLOR
Trevor Kirby was co-opted on to the parish council. He signed a Declaration of Acceptance of Office and submitted a Register of Interests.

3. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
None.

4. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
Cllr Hyde declared an interest in item 9.

5. MINUTES OF LAST MEETING
After item 13.2 was amended to read “on the High St before Gun Lane”, the minutes of the meeting held on 7th April 2008 were agreed as a true record and signed by the Chairman.

6. CLERK'S REPORT

6.1 Bus shelter. The hard standing and level access kerb are in place and the exit to the lay-by reduced. Installation of the bus shelter is scheduled for Friday 8th May.

6.2. Royal Mail posting boxes. A letter has been received asking for the parish council’s acceptance of the proposed locations of the new larger boxes, which was agreed. The box for the Knoll will now be located on the right of the bus shelter as you look at it. ACTION: Clerk

6.3 Community Speed Watch Kit. Further to last month the kit consists of a Speed Detection Radar, hand held computer, tripod, signs, tabards and charger. This is available for hire for £100 per fortnight. Councillors agreed that they were not comfortable with the idea of using this kit and were happy with the MKC provided SIDs. The clerk is currently investigating where to place SIDs in the village. ACTION: Clerk

6.4.Safer surfacing village hall swings. Both sets of swings have had a safer surfacing called “Wetpour” installed underneath, funded by MKC. Possibly the junior goal mouths can be done too. ACTION: Clerk

6.5 Maintenance of the Mound. Further to reports that the bark is being stripped off the trees, MKC confirm that the mound has never been officially adopted onto the GIS system, even though maintenance has been carried out over the past several years. It was agreed to request that the adoption be made official. ACTION: All Cllrs

6.6. High St surface dressing summer 09. TMKC Highways have confirmed that only the stretch from the 30mph to Alban Hill and from the 30mph sign to Sherington Bridge will be refurbished this year, with the remaining main section planned for next year. ACTION: Clerk

6.7 Phone box on Knoll. BT has confirmed it will be assessing the phone box’s condition asap.

7. SAVE THE SWAN PUBLIC MEETING

Cllr Cook and Bill Griffiths reported that the recent meeting hosted by Mark Lancaster MP was well attended with everyone there wishing to support the pub. There may currently be a potential buyer for the building but a suggested survey will still be issued to every home to highlight what people’s views are. There is also talk of a possible television production that would support a community led project to keep the pub open.

8. PARISH PLAN – FUTURE OF COMMUNITY AND COMMERCIAL FACILITIES

Cllrs had met informally to discuss concerns over the future of the village, with specific regard to the post office, shop and pub; and agreed that there were likely to be many different ideas and comments that need consideration. It was agreed that a Village Meeting should be held in September, hosted by the parish council. Cllr Keene to draft an invitation to be delivered to every household and put in SCAN. ACTION: Clerk, Cllr Keene

9. ST LAUD’S CHURCHYARD

Cllr Hyde reported on behalf of St Laud’s church. There are several areas of the churchyard that need addressing and the parish council was asked to support purchase of a new gate on the south side, and also to help in setting up a “Friends of the churchyard” group. Councillors agreed in principle to support these but need an idea of costs. Cllrs were reminded that the Youth Club has offered to partake in a community project; this may be a worthwhile suggestion. ACTION: Cllr Hyde

10. FINANCE

10.1 Monthly balances. Enterprise Account £15011.42; Treasurer Account £3360.80

10.2 Cheques for payment were as follows:

 A H Contracts Dog bins £86.62 101687
 Wendy Austyn Clerk's salary £303.87 101688
 Wendy Austyn Clerk's expenses £13.47 101689
 Nina Beal Pavilion cleaner £42.00 101690
 Colin Scowen Perry Lane caretaker £78.00 101691
 Martin Jeeves Perry Lane booking clerk £64.55 101692
 Peter Burton Clock for pavilion £12.69101694

10.3 Insurance. 3 quotes have been received – Came & Co £1436.47, Allianz (current insurer) £1546.30 and Blue Fin £1989.88. It was agreed that for a small difference it was preferable to stay with current insurer, but to see if the priced could be reduced further. ACTION: Clerk

11. PLANNING

11.1 09/00505/FUL 5 Bedford Road – single storey extension and conservatory - There were no adverse comments.

11.2 09/00603/FUL Gowles Farm – two storey side extensions - No adverse comments.

11.3 09/00660/CLUE – Alban Hill nursery - no adverse comments

11.4 08/02087/FUL – The Manor House, High St – amendments regarding access Cllrs still object to the application as a whole but if permission is granted then the amendments are an improvement.

11.5 Grange Farm, Chicheley – public path diversion order consultation - The application has now been withdrawn; MKC Rights of Way have been informed that it would appear some of the changes have already been made.

12. SHERINGTON SPORTS GROUND

12.1. Pavilion building/refurbishment project. Cllr Burton reported that the refurbishment is due to commence early June, and that it is hoped funding applications to MKC Parish Partnership Fund and BIFFA will be successful. ACTION: Cllr Burton, Clerk

12.2. Pavilion management group. Cllr Thomson reported that the pitch has been verti-drained and the next step is to kills the weeds; there will be no football matches over the summer to allow the pitch to recover; progress to relocate the pitch, repair the goal mouths and create the junior pitch is underway; once the above is done landscaping can begin; the Open Morning received favourable feedback; WREN has booked the pavilion for a meeting; and the parish council has been offered a free plaque for the premises. Expenditure of around £90 to repair the damaged Ascot fence at the front entrance was agreed ACTION: Clerk

13. EXTERNAL MEETINGS

13.1. MKNECAF 4th March Cllr Hyde reported that the following items were amongst those covered: potholes, snow clearance, lorry management strategy still under review, no progress with cycle path to Newport Pagnell, suggested transport scheme from rural areas to hospital. Date of next meeting Wed 3rd June 7.30pm at Sherington Pavilion

13.2. NAG North 28th April Cllr Hyde attended, where members from NAG East and NAG West confirmed that these meetings were effective in dealing with local issues, and also that representatives do not need to be local councillors. Date of next meeting Thurs 4th June 7.30pm at Sherington Pavilion.

14. CORRESPONDENCE

14.1 Dogs on Recreation Ground. A letter has been received complaining about dogs on the recreation ground, the parish council will contact the person named. ACTION: Cllr Burton

14.2 Pre-school Spring Fayre. The pre-school has aksed for permission to have some outside stalls on the car park and play area on 16th May.

15. PUBLIC COMMENTS

15.1. Following the beer festival a lot of rubbish was seen around the village. However this was cleared away in a timely fashion. Of more concern was a lot of people seen wandering around the village holding glasses. Cllr Burton will speak to Keith Shepherd. ACTION: Cllr Burton

15.2. Loose kerb setts on Church Road and Crofts End. ACTION: Clerk

15.3. Deteriorating verges on Bedford Road are still causing concern, it is on the list for kerbing but unlikely to happen this year. Cllr Keene will draft a letter to the bus companies to see if they can take more care.

15.4. Dog fouling would appear to be on the increase again. The Environmental Visual Audit is to be re-scheduled and this will be covered. ACTION: Clerk

15.5. A SID was requested on Perry Lane by the Hillview junction, this may be more effective when the football season restarts in the autumn. Clerk is currently reviewing SID locationsACTION: Clerk

15.6. Youths have been reported hanging around the pavilion car park from late afternoon onwards. It was suggested to speak to the police/PCSO/mobile police van in village 14th May. ACTION: Clerk

15.7. The comment was made that if people want to keep the pub, post office and shop they should make more use of them.

16. COUNCILLORS ITEMS

16.1. Cllr Cook reported that Anglian Water has begun work to pipe the ditch behind Smiths Yard.

16.2. Cllr Keene noted that Sherington FC is in the cup final against Silverstone FC.

16.3. Cllr Keene reported that he is going to view a stone plaque that could be suitable for Stonepits Copse. ACTION: Cllr Keene

16.4. Cllr Burton reported that the fencing in the village hall play area needs repair. ACTION: Clerk

17. DATE OF NEXT MEETING The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 2nd June 2009 at the Village Hall commencing at 7.30pm. There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.35 pm

          Pages 1292 to 1294  

Previous Meeting - Back to PARISH COUNCIL MINUTES INDEX - Next Meeting

Home Page - About Us - Minutes - Newsletters - Our Needs - Membership - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 11 February 2018