Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Parish Council Minutes

November 2010

Minutes of the Meeting of Sherington Parish Council held on Tuesday 2nd November 2010 in Sherington Village Hall commencing at 7.30pm.

PRESENT: Cllrs Peter Burton (Chair), David Keene, David Hyde, Trevor Kirby, John Ager and Mel Northfield.

ALSO ATTENDING: Wendy Austyn (Clerk), and 7 members of the public

1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
Cllr Thomson.

2. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
Cllr Northfield declared an interest in the community shop item.

3. MINUTES OF LAST MEETING
The minutes of the meeting held on 5th October 2010 were agreed as a true record and signed by the Chairman.

4. CO-OPT NEW COUNCILLOR
The chair welcomed Mel Northfield to the parish council. Cllr Northfield signed a Declaration of Acceptance of Office. ACTION: Clerk

5. CLERK'S REPORT

5.1 Environmental Toolkits. MKC are now providing these village cleansing kits for free to communities who want them. It was agreed to ask Youth Club if they would like to store and use within their community projects. ACTION: Clerk

5.2 SCAN January edition. The editor of SCAN has announced there will be no January edition owing to the amount of time over the Christmas break that it takes to produce. It was agreed that receiving information a month later could have a negative impact on the village and the suggestion of a significantly reduced “calendar events only” version was raised. It was agreed that the parish council should informally approach Betty Feasey to discuss the situation and offer ideas. ACTION: Clerk, Cllr Hyde

5.3 MKC Neighbourhood Management. MKC Environmental Services has restructured its staff in charge of landscaping, highways maintenance, street cleansing, refuse collection and local environmental enforcement into teams, each headed by a Neighbourhood Manager.

5.4 Water Lane. A new litter bin has been installed near the turning point, and Thames Valley Police have been actively involved in resolving problems regarding parked/abandoned cars and anti-social behaviour. This is to be monitored.

5.5 Play Area Improvement Fund. The clerk reminded the council that the funding awarded to improve the village hall play area must be spent by early July 2011. This project now needs to be progressed, depending on the plans for the community shop. ACTION: All councillors

6. COMMUNITY SHOP COMMITTEE UPDATE

This item actually took place before item 5. The ShopCo chairman Tony Pilcher issued a statement to the parish council that read “The steering committee, following the Shopco survey, recommends the establishment of a village shop. It has considered and rejected all other options and now concurs with the parish council’s location. It suggests the establishment on the site, of a low cost building in keeping with the Village Hall”. Tony reported that other alternatives explored by ShopCo were either not feasible or were too expensive. Tony had met with Ian Toye and also attended a Plunkett Foundation conference where he ascertained that there are currently 240 community shops in the UK with an average turnover of £84k, and net profit of £3.5k per annum using an average of 500 square feet of space with one full time or two part time employees and around 30 volunteers. There is currently a 3 year old portacabin shop including post office for sale which would be provided fully fitted out for an expected price of £15k, the cost of which could possibly be funded by Plunkett Foundation. Transport and installation costs would be around £5k, and all the utilities would need to be connected. Following discussion the parish council unanimously agreed on the principle of a temporary building on the land opposite the village hall to firstly prove the sustainability of a community shop. The next agreed step is to approach MKC Planning department to obtain planning consent for a different type of building on the same site. Tony stated he was happy to be involved in this meeting. ACTION: Cllr Keene, Clerk

7. STONEPITS COPSE STILE

It was agreed that a traditional step stile was preferable to a kissing gate, to be installed in the hedge that runs alongside the woodland, leading back on to the public footpath to the kennels, in order to encourage people to walk through this new community facility. Cllr Keene to speak to J W Cook & Son regarding removing part of the hedge, and then to Bernard Crook Garden Services who gave the cheapest quote of £405 to remove the hedge and build the stile, which was approved by all. The project will receive 50% matched funding from MKC’s Parish Partnership fund. It was also agreed to speak to Acorn Nurseries about the two year maintenance plan that has been paid for, especially as the newly planted front hedge needs some attention. ACTION: Cllr Keene

8. “HERITAGE AT RISK” SURVEY

Cllr Burton reported that MKC Conservation department are currently compiling a list of buildings deemed to be “at risk” and have invited parish councils to submit suggestions for inclusion.

9. MKC REVISED CORE STRATEGY CONSULTATION

Further to last month, Cllr Keene reported that there is no proposed change to Sherington’s status in the MKC Core Strategy. Sherington is still listed as a village designated for a limited amount of development in the future i.e. 20 to 40 houses.

10. LOCAL ECONOMIC ASSESSMENT CONSULTATION

Cllr Keene advised that this MKC consultation is looking to promote the interest of local businesses. It was agreed to put this on the December agenda in order to ascertain whether the assessment will have any significance for Sherington. ACTION: Cllr Keene

11. FINANCE

11.1 Monthly Balances Enterprise Account £8130.51; Treasurer Account £1463.11

11.2 Cheques for payment were as follows:

02/11/2010J W Cook & Son Perry Lane rent £100.00 101845
02/11/2010Melba Products Ltd Litter bin Water Lane £76.02 101846
02/11/2010Seans Outside Services Knoll fencing repair £35.00 101847
02/11/2010A H Contracts Dog bins £82.25 101848
02/11/2010Wendy Austyn Clerk's salary £215.80 101849
02/11/2010Martin Jeeves Perry Lane caretaker/bookings £100.00 101850
02/11/2010Nina Beal Pavilion cleaner £52.50 101851

12. PLANNING APPLICATIONS AND DECISIONS

None.

13. SHERINGTON SPORTS GROUND

13.1. Pavilion exterior landscaping. Cllr Burton reported that the builder who has been selected to carry out the exterior paving and drainage works has now submitted a revised quote of £2840 to carry out partial works. This expenditure is recoverable from the grant awarded by WREN and was approved by all. ACTION: Cllr Burton, Clerk

13.2. Pavilion management group. Cllr Thomson was absent so unable to report. The clerk reported that an electrician has been asked to check whether the outside electric point is live before it is removed. It was pointed out that often there is no parish councillor in attendance at these meetings. Cllr Burton requested that another councillor be appointed onto the management group to bring the quantity to 3 which is the required amount for a sub-committee, and this will also improve the flow of communication between the group and the parish council. Cllr Ager agreed to take up this position, the next meeting is on 9th November 8pm at the pavilion. ACTION: Cllr Ager

13.3. Management committee constitution. The clerk will liaise with the secretary to ascertain what documents have already been provided and whether a formal agreement is still needed. ACTION: Clerk

14. EXTERNAL MEETINGS

14.1. NAG Rural North Mon 22nd November 7pm NP Police station.

14.2. NECAF Thurs 2nd December 7.30pm Weston Underwood. Cllrs Hyde and Northfield will try to attend

15. CORRESPONDENCE

None.

16.PUBLIC COMMENTS

16.1. A Neighbourhood Watch report was received – people to be aware of cold callers selling guttering repairs; and warning not to leave high value purchase packaging outside houses that could attract burglars. A recent burglary was reported in Gun Lane.. ACTION: Clerk

17 COUNCILLORS ITEMS

None.

18. DATE OF NEXT MEETING The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 7th December 2010 at the Village Hall commencing at 7.30 pm. There being no further business the meeting closed at 8.45pm.

          Pages 1347 to 1349  

Previous Meeting - Back to PARISH COUNCIL MINUTES INDEX - Next Meeting

Home Page - About Us - Minutes - Newsletters - Our Needs - Membership - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 11 February 2018