Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Parish Council Minutes

November 2011

Minutes of the Meeting of Sherington Parish Council held on Tuesday 1st November 2011 at Sherington Village Hall, commencing at 7.30pm.

PRESENT: Cllrs D Keene, (Chair) J Ager, D Hyde, I Thomson, A Denman and M Northfield

ALSO ATTENDING: Wendy Austyn (Clerk) and 4 members of the public


Cllr Northfield declared an interest in the Community Shop item.

The minutes of the meeting held on 4th October were agreed as a true record and signed by the Chairman.


4.1 Petsoe End Wind Farm fund. The clerk has been informed that a committee meeting is to be held in early November and that the criteria for any funding awards are likely to be energy efficiency or energy education projects. A Sherington Parish councillor will attend. ACTION: Clerk

4.2 Diamond Jubilee beacons. The Dept for Culture, Media and Sport has sent a flyer regarding beacons and now BALC is inviting communities to register interest in having a celebratory beacon in June next year. It was agreed that Sherington should register its interest. The clerk has already checked with MKC that the mound at Chicheley Hill could be used. ACTION: Clerk

4.3 Village Ditches. The clerk has requested help and advice regarding ditches in Gun Lane from Mark Bennett at MKC who is writing to the relevant landowners. The culverts on the High St have now been cleared.

4.4 Cycle Path. Richard Duffill at MKC has reported that the road markings along Newport Road will be installed early November.

4.5 Councillor Vacancy. Another resident has shown interest in the vacancy. It was agreed to have a deadline of 14th November before co-opting a new councillor.

4.6 Broken glass. A glass pane in the public phone box on The Knoll has been smashed, which BT will be asked to repair; and one side of the glass in the noticeboard outside the school has also been smashed, which the clerk will try to arrange to have repaired locally. It was agreed to report these incidents to the police. ACTION: Clerk


Cllr Northfield reported that the committee has now secured a shop unit with toilet and ante-room facilities that meet the Post Office requirements. The current owner will make the necessary modifications and arrange for it to be transported from Cardiff. The MK Community Foundation has awarded £5k to the project, and the parish council has agreed to help Shopco to secure some funding for the groundworks from MKC's Parish Partnership fund. The process of connection of water and lighting to the site is still being investigated and resolved, however the electricity connection has already been arranged. The opening of the new bank account is imminent; the Post Office service is likely to commence in January at the earliest; and there is a meeting being held with the Village Hall trustees to agree the car park access arrangements. ACTION: Cllr Northfield, Clerk

One of MKC's main contractors Mouchel Property Services have quoted £120 per hour to draw up an agreement between the parish council and Shopco regarding the land that the shop will be sited on. It was agreed to hold an initial meeting with Mouchel to agree the requirements. ACTION: Clerk, Cllr Northfield, Cllr Keene


7.1 Bank Account balance at 1st November 2011 £12589.78

7.2 Cheques for payment were as follows:

01/11/2011Western Power Distribution Shopco electricity connection £1,771.37 101950
01/11/2011Martin Jeeves Perry Lane caretaker/bookings £100.00 101951
01/11/2011Wendy Austyn Clerk's salary £123.27 101952
01/11/2011Nina Beal Pavilion cleaner £49.00 101953

7.3 Dog Bins Another relatively new contractor is offering to empty the dog bins for £1.50 each, the council currently pays £2.50. It was agreed to get some references for the new contractor and also find out how long the reduced price is guaranteed for. ACTION: Clerk

7.4 Repairs to electrical socket on Knoll Cllr Denman estimated £170 to refurbish the power socket on The Knoll. This was approved by the council. ACTION: Cllr Denman

7.5 Shopco funds £1771.37 of the village contribution towards the shop is being paid out for the electricity connection on the site.


8.1. 11/01925/FUL 6 Manor Courtyard - Change of use from office to two residential dwellings. Councillors agreed it is a shame that the property could not be sustained for business use but had no objection.

8.2. 11/02093/FUL 15 Crofts End - Erection of single storey front and rear extensions and first floor side dormer window. There were no adverse comments.

8.3. 11/02112/MAM The Swan - Minor material amendment to planning permission 11/00107/FUL to replace and enhance old windows with new; to include the installation of a set of bi-folding doors and a roof lantern on the flat roof. There were no adverse comments.

8.4. The Old Post Office. The clerk reported that MKC had consulted the parish council just before the November meeting on an amendment to the currently outstanding planning application but had only given 10 days for a response. The planning officer would not accept a response from the December meeting of the parish council and stated that as the amendment showed a further reduction in ridge height and thereby reducing the impact on the neighbours, the parish council's previous comments would stand. Councillors agreed to express dissatisfaction over the short consultation time. ACTION: Clerk

8.5. Decisions. The application for 1 The Knoll has been permitted.


9.1. Pavilion management group. There was no report available this month.

9.1. Speeding vehicles. Cllr Denman reported an increase of speeding vehicles at the weekend before and after football matches. The management committee will be asked to speak to the football clubs; and the clerk will get back in touch with MKC about a possible Speed Indicator Device (SID) being installed on Perry Lane. ACTION: Clerk, Cllr Denman


10.1. Next NAG Thurs 24th November Weston Underwood village hall 7.30pm

10.2. Next NECAF Weds 30th November Weston Underwood village hall 7.30pm Cllr Hyde will attend. ACTION: Cllr Hyde


It was agreed to place three consultations on the agenda next month. These are on the Community Infrastructure Levy; Neighbourhood Planning Regulations and Strategic Housing Land Availability Assessment. Councillors to read the circulating information. ACTION: Clerk


12.1 A resident reported a tree recently being deliberately set alight on his land which has been reported to the police.


13.1 Cllr Denman reported youths parking their cars and then hanging around and causing nuisance on the bridle path off Perry Lane. It was agreed to ask the police to increase patrols in this area. ACTION: Clerk

13.2 Cllr Keene suggested the resurrection of the Councillor's Walkabout, to take place in the new year.

14. DATE OF NEXT MEETING The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 6th December 2011 at the Village Hall commencing at 7.30 pm. There being no further business the meeting closed at 8.35 pm

          Pages 1381 to 1383  

Previous Meeting - Back to PARISH COUNCIL MINUTES INDEX - Next Meeting

Home Page - About Us - Minutes - Newsletters - Our Needs - Membership - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 11 February 2018