Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Parish Council Minutes

November 2013

Minutes of the Meeting of Sherington Parish Council held on Tuesday 5th November 2013 at Sherington Village Hall, commencing at 7.30pm.

PRESENT: Cllrs A Denman (Chair), J Ager, D Hyde, M Northfield, I Collinge, S Cook and J Cook

ALSO ATTENDING: Wendy Austyn (Clerk), Cllr Keith McLean and one member of the public.

1. RECEIVE AND ACCEPT APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
None.

2. RECEIVE DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
None.

3. APPROVE MINUTES OF LAST MEETING
The minutes of the meeting held on 1st October 2013 were agreed as a true record and signed by the Chairman.

4. WARD COUNCILLOR'S ITEMS (this item actually took place approx. 8.30pm)

4.1 Cllr McLean advised that as part of the Community Asset Transfer process Emberton Park will be taken over by The Parks Trust.

4.2 Cllr McLean encouraged councillors to respond to the Local Minerals Plan consultation as there are references to Sherington village in the documents.

4.3 Cllr McLean confirmed that the evening taxi (replacement bus) service between Olney and Newport Pagnell is now being trialled. He also encouraged councillors to respond to another current consultation about Taxi Licensing. The clerk confirmed this would be on the December agenda.

4.4 Cllr McLean reported that the volume of reported Highway defects had increased as at the end of October due to a survey by Highways officers and that eight repair teams are addressing the issues Monday to Friday with three teams at weekends. Cllr Collinge added that he had requested and received a list of updated highway defects for Sherington and these were being circulated.

5. CLERK'S REPORT

5.1 Litter bins and dog bins. The clerk reported that the new advice from MKC Waste and Recycling is that whilst dog waste can be placed in a standard litter bin, the contractor will not empty a bin with a dog waste sticker on it as it is more likely to be full of dog waste than standard litter. The dog waste sticker has therefore been removed from the new Gun Lane bin. A request from a Carters Close resident has been received to move the dog bin and litter bin at the south end of the High St before the Crofts End turning, due to reported odour. Councillors raised concerns over costs and setting a precedent so agreed to initially arrange for the dog bins to be cleaned and then to monitor the situation. ACTION: Clerk

5.2. Response from BT re poles. Following the recent collapse of a wooden pole in Church Road, BT Openreach have replied to the clerk saying that a full investigation has been carried out in Sherington and no further action is necessary.

5.3 Response from MKC re Ash trees. MKC's Arboricultural officer has replied to the clerk stating that to date there have been no confirmed cases of Ash Dieback within the borough of Milton Keynes. All the Neighbourhood Engagement Officers and Landscape Operatives however have been made aware of the symptoms and remain vigilant, as the Forestry Commission indicates that the spread will be coming this way.

5.4 Response from dog bin contractor. Further to a complaint made last month concerning the operative emptying the village's dog bins, the contractor has responded that he has spoken to the lady in question who denies any knowledge of any issues

5.5 "MK Rose" Campbell Park. The clerk reported that the new advice from MKC Waste and Recycling is that whilst dog waste can be placed in a standard litter bin, the contractor will not empty a bin with a dog waste sticker on it as it is more likely to be full of dog waste than standard litter. The dog waste sticker has therefore been removed from the new Gun Lane bin. A request from a Carters Close resident has been received to move the dog bin and litter bin at the south end of the High St before the Crofts End turning, due to reported odour. Councillors raised concerns over costs and setting a precedent so agreed to initially arrange for the dog bins to be cleaned and then to monitor the situation.

5.6 MKC Parish Warden service. Parish councils are informed that expressions of interest for less than 1.5 days per week of warden time have been received, and therefore the warden service will cease from 31st March 2014.

6. FINANCE

6.1 Bank Account balance at 5th November 2013 £22578.74

6.2 Cheques for payment were as follows:

05/11/2013Reform Fire Ltd Fire equipment service and new equipment £174.60 102148
05/11/2013R A Denman Heating maintenance £40.00 102149
05/11/2013Wendy Austyn Clerk's salary £193.92 102150
05/11/2013Martin Jeeves Perry Lane caretaker/bookings £100.00102151
05/11/2013Nina Beal Pavilion cleaner £83.44 102152
05/11/2013R A Denman Lighting testing and maintenance £375.78 102153
05/11/2013R A Denman Electrical testing and maintenance £406.97 102154

6.3. Bank signatories. It was agreed to update the bank mandate with details of the three most recently appointed councillors. It was also agreed to review the number of signatories required on each cheque and to see if an update on using electronic payment methods was available. ACTION: Clerk

7. PLANNING APPLICATIONS AND DECISIONS

7.1. 13/02007/FUL 2 End Farm, Water Lane - Conversion of double garage to living accommodation. There were no adverse comments. ACTION: Clerk

7.2. Decisions. The applications for Barn in Shoulder of Mutton Field and 26 Gun Lane were permitted.

8. SHERINGTON RECREATION GROUND

8.1. Pavilion management group. The committee next meets on Thursday 7th November 2013. The down heaters in the main hall have now been disconnected; the clerk is supplying monthly water and electricity meter readings online to get bills that reflect usage as accurately as possible.

8.2. Pavilion Health and Safety Audit update. Councillors, the clerk and the management committee met on 22nd October and went through all the issues. The clerk reported that the fire equipment service has been carried out, and both the fire alarm/smoke detector service and legionella risk assessment are imminent. Cllr Denman reported that with the council's approval he had carried out testing and maintenance to all the lighting, emergency lighting and electrical items in the building. It was noted that the old part of the building may need a complete rewire in five years. Repairs to two doors are currently being arranged, and Cllr Denman is still looking at suitable outside lighting. ACTION: Clerk, Cllr Denman

8.3. Pavilion management committee's terms of reference. Following the meeting on 22nd October Cllr Collinge has submitted suggestions to further update the terms of reference document. It was agreed to circulate this amongst councillors for review. ACTION: Clerk, all cllrs

8.4. Improvements to pavilion exterior paving and drainage. Three quotes have now been received, however the issue of disabled access was raised and it was suggested that a ramp to the car park would be more suitable than steps. There is also a report of water under the flooring again after heavy rain. It was agreed that the services of a surveyor may now be required, and Derek Ferris kindly agreed to meet with councillors at the pavilion to help advise what the issues and possible solutions are before a surveyor is appointed. ACTION: Cllrs Denman and Hyde

9. EXTERNAL MEETINGS

9.1. NECAF Thursday 5th December 2013 Weston Underwood village hall NECAF Thursday 5th December 2013 Weston Underwood village hall

10. CORRESPONDENCE/NEW CONSULTATIONS

10.1. Christmas Tree lights "switch on" event at The Knoll. The clerk has been advised that this event is likely to be cancelled due to a mix-up with dates and other village events. The clerk advised that she had contacted Alban Hill Nursery regarding the provision of this year's tree.

10.2. MKC draft Statement of Community Involvement (ends 15/1/14) This consultation will be on next month's agenda when councillors have had time to review the documents and decide whether they wish to respond. ACTION: All cllrs

10.3. MKC Minerals local plan - Issues and Options consultation (ends 22/1/14) This consultation will be on next month's agenda when councillors have had time to review the documents and decide whether they wish to respond.ACTION: All cllrs

11.PUBLIC COMMENTS

11.1 A resident reported fly tipping on Gun Lane and a missing No Entry sign at Sherington turn. ACTION: Clerk

12 COUNCILLORS ITEMS

None

13. DATE OF NEXT MEETING The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 3rd December 2013 at the Village Hall commencing at 7.30 pm. There being no further business the meeting ended at 9.10 pm

          Pages 1446 to 1448  

Previous Meeting - Back to PARISH COUNCIL MINUTES INDEX - Next Meeting

Home Page - About Us - Minutes - Newsletters - Our Needs - Membership - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 11 February 2018