Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Parish Council Minutes

November 2007

Minutes of the Meeting of Sherington Parish Council held on Tuesday 6th November 2007 in Sherington Village Hall commencing at 7.30pm.

PRESENT: Cllrs Peter Burton (Chair), Peter Cook (arrived 8.20pm), David Keene, David Hyde, David Wright and Ian Thomson

ALSO ATTENDING: Wendy Austyn (Clerk), Sam Potts (Cllr for Sherington Ward), Malcolm Boscott and Deborah Mordecai (MKC Emergency Planning) and 8 public.

1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE There were none.

2. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST There were none. The clerk stated for the record that the property for which planning permission is being sought under item 11.1 is in her name.

3. MINUTES OF LAST MEETING The minutes of the meeting held on 2nd October 2007 were agreed as a true record and signed by the Chairman.

4. EMERGENCY PLANNING PRESENTATION Malcolm Boscott gave a presentation on the work of the MKC Emergency Planning team which is required under the Civil Emergencies Act 2004 to plan for and respond to emergencies using MKC resources such as Building Control, Environmental Health, Highways and Social Services. He also emphasized the need to be aware of emergency resources within the parish e.g. resident doctors, nurses, electricians, plumbers and Village Halls that can be used as rest centres. His team hopes to produce a template for a Parish Emergency Plan within six months, Sherington being the ‘guinea pig’ parish.

5. MK LOCAL DEVELOPMENT FRAMEWORK (LDF) CORE STRATEGY PREFERRED OPTIONS CONSULTATION Following the parish council’s response to the LDF “Issues and Options” consultation in January 2007, Sherington has been named as a rural community that could accommodate limited development after 2011. It was agreed to respond supporting the previous recommendations and suggesting a quantity 25 properties be allowed. The PC is anxious to retain as much control as possible over the form and type of development (in association with MKC). The PC will need to be satisfied that any development proposal contains an appropriate level of genuinely affordable housing (this was raised by several members of the public who considered that the involvement of a housing association is the only way of ensuring that this happens) and that essential drainage infrastructure is in place before any development commences. Cllr Keene suggested that the tariff arrangement that applies in the Milton Keynes Partnership area should apply to significant development in Sherington thereby providing an appropriate contribution to community facilities. Several members of the public considered that 25 houses was not enough to make a real difference to supporting village facilities. ACTION: Clerk and Cllr Keene

6. STONE PITS CLOSE It was agreed to arrange a site visit to Hazeley woodland and Stone pits Close field one Sunday morning before Christmas. ACTION: Clerk

7. VILLAGE REPAIRS

7.1 Footpath repairs. Work to clear the path from Sherington to Newport Pagnell should commence any day. Concern has been raised by the Highways Dept that it will not be wide enough to accommodate a cycle lane. The path opposite Manor Farm is not suitable for remedial work and instead will be completely re-laid as part of the 2008/09 works programme. It was agreed to request it be done as early as possible in the new financial year. ACTION: Clerk

7.2 Tree maintenance. Three contractors have been contacted to survey and crown lift the trees at the Knoll, Village Hall play area and Perry Lane play area, although the third area is now not needed. Only MKC has provided a quote so far so it was agreed to obtain at least one other quote before approving the expenditure. ACTION: Clerk

7.3 Fencing. Three contractors have been contacted to provide a quote to repair the Knoll fence and some sections of the Village Hall play area fence. Only one has provided a quote but this was agreed to be very reasonable so £500 was approved. The clerk will request that this work is carried out asap. ACTION: Clerk

8. CLERK'S REPORT

8.1 Bus Shelter. MKC has offered funding to install hard standing and a level access kerb but the money has to be spent before end March 2008. It was agreed to bring the consultation period forward to November/December. ACTION: Clerk & Cllr Thomson

8.2 Dog Bins. Two competitive quotes have been received; Cllr Thomson will speak to the owner of the land between the church and High St and agree a suitable position for a new bin. The cleaning contractor has agreed to empty the new bin regularly. ACTION: Clerk & Cllr Thomson

8.3 Anglian Water response re ditch. The clerk wrote to AW requesting results of the archive search; a response was received stating nothing had been found.

8.4 Recent flooding in Water Lane. Cllr Sam Potts is meeting with Brian Sandom MKC Director of Environment on 14th November and hopefully there will be a further meeting with Anglian Water, the parish council and other interested parties to try and agree a solution to the problem of flash flooding in Water Lane and also the issue of ownership of the ditch behind Smiths Yard. ACTION: Cllr Burton

8.5 SID survey update. The recent survey on traffic coming into the High St from Olney showed that there is a speed problem and the results have been referred to Thames Valley Police. It was acknowledged that when the new cycle lane is in place the speed limit will be reduced to 40mph on Alban Hill which may help to alleviate the problem. A survey in Crofts End showed no issues.

8.6 Money for highway improvement works. MKC Planning has reiterated that it will not be pursuing installation of a third passing bay in Water Lane but has confirmed that the money paid by the developer cannot be given directly to the parish. It will however be allocated to Highway improvement works for Sherington, with the parish council having input. Progress on the enforcement of the two passing bays in the field is to be chased. ACTION: Clerk

8.7 Pre-school play area. The clerk confirmed that the pre-school checks the play area on a daily basis as part of its Health and Safety policy, it was however agreed to continue with weekly councillor checks as normal. The wooden play house needs replacing and the clerk requested on behalf of the pre-school that the parish council apply for matched funding to the MKC Play Area Improvement Scheme. This was agreed, clerk to research costs of new play houses and liaise with the Pre-school. ACTION: Clerk

8.8 Street lighting and under grounding. McAlpine has not responded to requests for information but Central Networks has confirmed that work should be completed by end November. There may be properties that McAlpine is struggling to access, clerk to chase for details of these. There are five new street lights not yet connected and Cllr Hyde will ask McAlpine to remove the MKC urban style light opposite Carters Close ACTION: Clerk and Cllr Hyd

9. SHERINGTON SPORTS GROUND

9.1 Caretaker's report. No issues for October are reported.

9.2 Expenditure for portable boot scraper. Sherington Football Club has suggested the purchase of a sturdy portable boot scraper to help alleviate issues of muddy toilets in the pavilion. Expenditure of £265 has been suggested but bearing in mind the intended refurbishment of the pavilion, the council agreed it did not wish to approve the expenditure yet. ACTION: Clerk

9.3 Car park and recreation field maintenance. A quote has been received for ongoing necessary maintenance at Perry Lane of £140 per month from March to November 2008. It was agreed to review the expenditure on the Perry Lane area as a whole before approving this. The new bench on Crofts End is to be installed within two weeks. ACTION: Clerk

9.4 Pavilion refurbishment project. Cllr Burton reported that a dozen or so people attended the Open Morning with the majority being in favour of the proposed development. The planning application will be submitted to MKC this week and drawings copied to WREN with a decision expected mid December. ACTION: Cllr Burton

10. FINANCE

10.1 Monthly balances. Enterprise Account £31968.59; Treasurer Account £1787.05.

10.2 Cheques for payment were as follows:

06/11/2007Nina Beal Pavilion cleaner £120.50 101493
06/11/2007Wendy Austyn Clerk's salary £186.68 101497
06/11/2007Wendy Austyn Clerk's expenses £26.08 101498
06/11/2007Swintex Limited Litter bin for Perry Lane £160.98 101499
06/11/2007A H Contracts Dog bins £58.99 101500
06/11/2007Raymond Rowan Design Drawing and planning application £314.50 101501
06/11/2007R G Finn Xmas tree lights £96.00 101502
06/11/2007Shane Lea Perry Lane Caretaker £50.00 101503
06/11/2007J W Cook & Son Perry Lane rent £100.00 101504
06/11/2007M Beal Pavilion cupboard £375.00 101505

10.3 Clerk’s salary. The NALC recommendation of a 2.4% increase was approved and to be back dated to April 2007. ACTION: Clerk

11. PLANNING

11.1. 07/01777/FUL 12 Carters Close – single storey rear extension. No adverse comments

11.2. Recent planning decisions. The application to relocate gates and build new porch at The Barn, Park Road has been refused; the application for a temporary mobile home and wind turbine at Alban Hill Nursery has also been refused. The latter is going through the appeal process..

12. EXTERNAL MEETINGS

12.1. MKNECAF Wed 5th December 07 Weston Underwood. To be noted in Cllrs’ diaries.

12.2. Councillors’ walkabout. It was agreed that this could wait until the spring.

13. CORRESPONDENCE

13.1. Youth Club funding. Information from MKC about a new funding scheme has been passed to the Youth Club.

14. PUBLIC COMMENTS

14.1. Hill View residents reported a “fish bowl” street light that needs repairing. ACTION: Clerk

15. COUNCILLORS ITEMS

15.1. Cllr Cook has received drawings of suggested dirt jumps at Perry Lane, these are to be circulated. ACTION: Clerk

15.2. Cllr Wright suggested that the development of Stone Pits could include dirt jumps.

15.3. Cllr Keene reported a broken bench at the corner of School Lane and Crofts End. ACTION: Clerk

15.4. Councillors acknowledged that there are financial issues with the church and agreed they should do what they can to help. The clerk reminded the parish council that it is unable to donate money to the church, but can donate money towards the church grounds. Cllr Hyde will provide more information to the council next month ACTION: Cllr Hyde

16. DATE OF NEXT MEETING The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 4th December 2007 at the Village Hall commencing at 7.30pm. There being no further business the meeting closed at 10.05 pm

          Pages 1246 to 1249  

Previous Meeting - Back to PARISH COUNCIL MINUTES INDEX - Next Meeting

Home Page - About Us - Minutes - Newsletters - Our Needs - Membership - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 11 February 2018