Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Parish Council Minutes

November 2009

Minutes of the Meeting of Sherington Parish Council held on Tuesday 3rd November 2009 in Sherington Village Hall commencing at 7.30pm.

PRESENT: Cllrs Peter Burton (Chair), David Hyde and Trevor Kirby

ALSO ATTENDING: Wendy Austyn (Clerk) and three members of the public

Cllrs Thomson and Cook. The chairman reported that Peter Cook is recovering well from his recent operation and the parish council sends him very best wishes. Cllr Keene had previously advised he would be late but was then unable to attend the meeting.

With Cllr Cook likely to be absent for some time it is now increasingly urgent that another councillor is appointed.


The minutes of the meeting held on 6th October 2009 were agreed as a true record and signed by the Chairman.


5.1 Youth Club village services. The 2000 remaining bulbs allocated to Stonepits Copse will be planted around the village by the youth club. It was agreed to give some bulbs to the pre-school and school as well. Cllr Kirby to arrange planting with the youth club. ACTION: Cllr Kirby

5.2 Village Hall play area fence. This is broken in places and needs repairing, perhaps with something sturdier. It was agreed to contact MKC in the first instance to see if they could help. ACTION: Clerk


Cllr Burton reported that he has met with the accountant for Virginia House Stores who has quoted to provide a business plan for a new shop. He has also met with three architectural firms who have quoted to provide drawings and services up to and including a planning application to build a new shop on land owned by the parish council adjacent to the village hall car park. Cllr Burton has also met with the local planning officer and conservation officer who did not envisage any major issues with such a venture. It is hoped that a planning application will be submitted early December and another village meeting will be called in the spring where the application details can be presented along with costings to actually build. At this point a residents’ retail association must be formed to take the project forward. The clerk reported that for the year 2009/10, under the Miscellaneous Provisions Act a maximum of £6.15 per elector can be spent by the parish council on this project. ACTION: Clerk, Cllr Burton


In Cllr Keene’s absence the clerk reported that a notice has gone in SCAN with posters and invitations for the launch on 22nd November due to go out this week. The plinth is in progress and a Phat Pasty van will be there to serve hot food. People interested in planting an extra tree are to contact Cllr Keene beforehand. It was agreed that some temporary signage may be needed on the day. A two year maintenance plan has now been paid for; this needs to be monitored carefully. ACTION: Clerk, Cllr Keene


Councillors were concerned about the lack of detail and explanations on the plans provided, it was agreed to report this back to MKC. ACTION: Clerk


9.1 Monthly balances. Enterprise Account £8,066.17; Treasurer Account £3,983.06

9.2 Cheques for payment were as follows:

03/11/2009A H Contracts Dog bins £86.62 101743
03/11/2009Acorn Nurseries Supply plant bulbs and maintain Stonepits £2,760.00101744
03/11/2009Wendy Austyn Clerk's salary £258.96 101745
03/11/2009Martin Jeeves Perry Lane booking + caretaker £100.00 101746
03/11/2009Nina Beal Pavilion cleaner £56.00 101747
03/11/2009Ian Thomson Materials for pavilion work £191.00 101748

9.3 Dog Bin Contract. .Further to last month the new supplier who has no proven track record in dog waste collection has extended the cheaper price until March 2012. The current supplier has now offered a discount from the current rate also until March 2012 so it was agreed to stay with the current supplier. ACTION: Clerk

9.4 Approve expenditure for business plan for community shop. Cllr Kirby proposed and Cllr Hyde seconded the proposal to spend £650 with Thompsons MK for a business plan.

9.5 Approve expenditure for architectural work up to and including a planning application for community shop. 3 quotes were received, Cllr Burton proposed with Cllr Hyde seconding that the tender of £2500 from Lune Architects is approved. ACTION: Clerk

9.6 Railings Perry Lane play area. The council has received a quote for £300 to repair the railings, it was agreed to contact MKC before making a decision. ACTION: Clerk

9.7 Damage to fencing. The insurance company for the owner of the vehicle that damaged the ascot fencing at the recreation field has reimbursed the council £125 for the repair costs.


10.1 09/01656/TCA 1 High St – various tree works including removal of a mulberry. Further to last month’s meeting, the MKC Tree Officer reported that the mulberry tree was a poor specimen with multiple stems but to date still no reason has been given for its removal considering it is very rare. Councillors were concerned to then hear that the application has been approved already and agreed to contact MKC again. ACTION: Clerk

10.2 09/01672/FUL & 09/01673/LBC – 53 High St – conversion of existing barns into a single dwelling, construction of gateway including garage and storage. - No adverse comments.

10.3 09/01674/FUL & 09/01675/LBC- The Manor.) – creation of two double access doors to replace single access door to provide garage in barn conversion. - No adverse comments.

10.4 09/01677/FUL 38 & 40 Water Lane – erection of double garage for no. 38 and ancillary room for no. 40 This is a retrospective application as the building is already there, the original application stated “erection of double garage” only. Councillors agreed to ask for confirmation of what the ancillary room will be used for. ACTION: Clerk

10.5 Decisions - The applications from 1 High St, Sherington House Park Road and 5 Carters Close have been approved.


11.1. Pavilion management group. The minor refurbishment works are due to be completed over the next fortnight; the fault with the flooring will be reassessed after a month or so; preparations for the launch on Sunday 15th November are under way with a visit from Pete Winkelman Chairman of MK Dons and a raffle prize of a family home game ticket confirmed. The storage hut doors have been damaged in high winds and need urgent repair. ACTION: Cllr Thomson, Clerk

11.2. BMX/skateboard track. Cllr Sam Potts has reported prior to the meeting that there has been another request for a BMX track in the village, but further information is required and as he was not at the meeting this was not discussed any further.


12.1. NECAF Wednesday 2nd December 7.30pm Weston Underwood. Advance notice of this meeting.


13.1 BT “Adopt a kiosk” letter. Due to its very low usage rate BT is offering to remove the equipment and sell the listed phone kiosk on the Knoll to the parish council for £1. It was agreed to enquire about the consequence of not taking up the offer before making a decision. ACTION: Clerk

13.2 Sherington Historical Society letter. SHS is running out of storage space and has asked the parish council to take this into consideration when building the community shop.


14.1. There has been spate of local burglaries lately

14.2. Dog fouling in the village seems to be increase again, including the football pitch.

14.3. It was agreed to ask Royal Mail if it would consider doing more collections during the run up to Christmas as it was acknowledged that the new post boxes will not cope with the increase in mail at this time. A notice on the Knoll box directing people to the other post box on School Lane was suggested. ACTION: Clerk

14.4. The fishmonger has changed his day to Thursdays.


15.1. Cllr Hyde commented that Ray and Teddy Barber who ran the post office are soon to move away from Sherington, it was agreed to draft a letter of thanks from the parish council. ACTION: Cllr Hyde

15.2. Cllr Burton reported that there is an attractive village map in North Crawley and wondered if Sherington could have the same. The clerk recalled that MKC’s Richard Duffill had previously agreed to fund such an item as part of the cycle path project. ACTION: Clerk

15.3. Cllr Burton reported that the Christmas tree offered to the village as per last month’s meeting will cost £100. It was agreed that a smaller/cheaper option should be pursued. Cllr Kirby commented that the Norwegian spruce on the Knoll would be an ideal permanent Christmas tree if it was given more room to grow. He reported that the nearby chestnut trees are diseased anyway so perhaps thought should be given to removing them. ACTION: Clerk

16. DATE OF NEXT MEETING The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 1st December 2009 at the Village Hall commencing at 7.30 pm. There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.10 pm

          Pages 1308 to 1310  

Previous Meeting - Back to PARISH COUNCIL MINUTES INDEX - Next Meeting

Home Page - About Us - Minutes - Newsletters - Our Needs - Membership - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 11 February 2018