Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Parish Council Minutes

October 2010

Minutes of the Meeting of Sherington Parish Council held on Tuesday 5th October 2010 in Sherington Village Hall commencing at 7.30pm.

PRESENT: Cllrs Peter Burton (Chair), David Keene, David Hyde, Ian Thomson, Trevor Kirby and John Ager.

ALSO ATTENDING: Wendy Austyn (Clerk), and four members of the public

1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
None.

2. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
None.

3. MINUTES OF LAST MEETING
The minutes of the meeting held on 7th September 2010 were agreed as a true record and signed by the Chairman.

4. COUNCILLOR VACANCY
The chair reported that Cllr Cook has regretfully decided to stand down with immediate effect. The vacancy has been formally advertised and assuming there is to be no by-election, the council hopes to co-opt a new member at the November meeting.

5. CLERK'S REPORT

5.1 Salt Bins. MKC Highways have advised that the salt in the bins is to be used at residents’ own risk and for footpaths and roads only, not driveways. Note to go in SCAN. ACTION: Clerk

5.2 Damage to fencing on Knoll. The accidental damage caused to the Knoll ascot fencing will be repaired in due course and the cost recouped from the resident. It was suggested that the rest of the fencing be checked for any damaged or rotten wood as there is a least one post that needs replacing. ACTION: Clerk

5.3 Youth Club community projects.One of the Youth Club leaders has asked for suggestions of another community project. Stone pits Copse maintenance, BMX track loose stone clearance and St Lauds church yard maintenance were all suggested. Clerk to chase the church warden for a response in relation to the church yard. ACTION: Clerk

5.4 Pre-school play area. The pre-school has raised a few issues following its own outdoor play area risk assessment. These are to be passed to MKC Play Areas for their advice. ACTION: Clerk

5.5 MKC Core Strategy consultation. Cllr Keene explained that under the new government, local councils are being given the power to set their own targets for development and MKC has taken the opportunity to review its Core Strategy and start another consultation with a deadline for response of 17th November 2010. This will be discussed at the November meeting when councillors will have had a chance to review the amended proposals. ACTION: All councillors

6. COMMUNITY SHOP COMMITTEE UPDATE

Tony Pilcher reported that the shop committee had not met since the last parish council meeting but invited the parish council to observe its next meeting on 6th October 2010 when its main objective will be to decide the way forward. At this point a meeting with Ian Toye from Plunkett Foundation will be scheduled. Analysis of the village survey has shown that residents are not overly concerned about a new shop’s location.

7. STONEPITS COPSE IMPROVEMENTS

The clerk has obtained quotes for installing a wooden stile or kissing gate in the hedge that runs alongside the woodland, leading back on to the public footpath to the kennels, in order to encourage people to walk through this new community facility. The clerk and Cllr Keene to arrange. It was also reported that the area is looking very healthy with new growth around the trees that were thought to be dead. It was agreed there should be no rush to replace any trees as yet and only mow the agreed footways. ACTION: Clerk

8. GOVERNMENT COMMUNITY RIGHT TO BUILD

Cllr Keene reported on another new government initiative where if made legal would allow community projects to avoid the conventional planning application system. This is in the early stages of consultation and it was agreed to monitor the updates as they are published.

9. FINANCE

9.1 Monthly Balances Enterprise Account £8080.51; Treasurer Account £6682.49

9.2 Cheques for payment were as follows:

05/10/2010Mazars LLP Audit Fee £470.00 101838
05/10/2010Wendy Austyn Clerk's salary £239.78 101839
05/10/2010Wendy Austyn Clerk's expenses £24.88 101840
05/10/2010A H Contracts Dog bins £82.25 101841
05/10/2010Hygienic Interiors Ltd New flooring in pavilion £5,152.04 101842
05/10/2010Martin Jeeves Perry Lane caretaker/bookings £100.00 101843
05/10/2010Nina Beal Pavilion cleaner £38.50 101844

9.3 Annual Return inspection notice The audit of the Annual Return is complete and is now available for inspection by local electors.

9.4 Pavilion rates refund The government is giving extra temporary small business rates relief this year so a refund of £210.54 has been received.

9.5 Costs for new litter bin A small 40 litre bin to be sited on the existing post at the turning point on Water Lane will cost around £50 and MKC have agreed to empty it as part of their weekly refuse collection schedule. This expenditure was approved. ACTION: Clerk

9.6 New cheque signatories Cllrs Ager and Kirby signed a new bank mandate authorising them to be made additional bank account signatories. They will present themselves at the bank for ID verification in due course ACTION: Cllr Ager, Cllr Kirby

10. PLANNING

10.1 Decisions. Applications from 44 Water Lane and 18 Park Road have been granted.

11. SHERINGTON SPORTS GROUND

11.1. Pavilion flooring issue. Cllr Burton reported that Hygienic Interiors have now laid new flooring in the pavilion but this did incur additional costs of £2077 for an isolator membrane to alleviate any more issues with water. The clerk reported that this expenditure was not recoverable from the insurers. All agreed that that the situation was very unfortunate but that the parish council had been left with no other alternative other than to replace the flooring at considerable additional cost. Cllr Burton proposed and Cllr Thomson seconded the extra expenditure with all in agreement.

11.2. Pavilion management group. Cllr Thomson reported that with the new floor in place bookings are now on the up; MKC pitch marking is still being chased; Bob Cook to be asked to check whether the outside electric point is live; an internal door has been replaced and noticeboards and plaques are now up. A quote of £700 has been received to remove the hard core and edging from the BMX track then backfill with soil and turf over. The management group would also like to look into the feasibility of installing a cricket square onto the recreation ground. ACTION: Cllr Thomson, Clerk

12. EXTERNAL MEETINGS

12.1. None.

13. CORRESPONDENCE

None.

14.PUBLIC COMMENTS

14.1. Another salt bin was requested to be placed in Hillview. ACTION: Clerk

14.2. Dog fouling on the increase again, clerk to chase for stickers/small signs. ACTION: Clerk

14.3. A Water Lane resident reported anti-social behaviour by youths in cars parked at the turning point. It was agreed to approach MKC Highways for a No Parking sign and also the police to try and move them on. ACTION: Clerk

14.4. A resident of the Knoll asked for permission to look in the parish council archives for information on the sewage system. This was agreed. ACTION: Clerk

14.5. A small reflector was requested to be placed on the telegraph pole opposite 22 Crofts End to prevent cars colliding with it. ACTION: Clerk

15 COUNCILLORS ITEMS

15.1. Cllr Kirby reported that the lack of visibility on the corner of High St and Church Road due to parked vans was best left alone as drivers were therefore being encouraged to be more careful. It was agreed to ask MKC to repaint the road markings. ACTION: Clerk

15.2. Cllr Ager asked if the hedges along Bedford Road could be trimmed back so as not to impede cyclists. The clerk will speak to the landowner. ACTION: Clerk

15.3. Cllr Hyde noted that the goal nets have still not been removed from the posts in the village hall play area. It was agreed to write to the residents concerned. ACTION: Clerk

16. DATE OF NEXT MEETING The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 2nd November 2010 at the Village Hall commencing at 7.30 pm. There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.03pm.

          Pages 1344 to 1346  

Previous Meeting - Back to PARISH COUNCIL MINUTES INDEX - Next Meeting

Home Page - About Us - Minutes - Newsletters - Our Needs - Membership - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 11 February 2018