Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Parish Council Minutes

October 2013

Minutes of the Meeting of Sherington Parish Council held on Tuesday 1st October 2013 at Sherington Village Hall, commencing at 7.30pm.

PRESENT: Cllrs D Hyde (Chair), M Northfield, I Collinge, S Cook and J Cook

ALSO ATTENDING: Wendy Austyn (Clerk) and four members of the public.

Cllr A Denman .


The minutes of the meeting held on 3rd September 2013 were agreed as a true record and signed by the Chairman.


4.1 Cllr McLean reported that the MKC campaign to repair all potholes, footpaths and redways was underway, albeit with a slow start due to poor quality information on the database. The parish council was encouraged to request some road resurfacing in the village as well, councillors agreed to consider which road/s need priority. ACTION: All Cllrs

4.2 Milton Keynes Council's new look website has now been launched.

4.3 Brocks Private Hire are considering offering a pre-booked evening taxi service from Newport Pagnell to Lavendon, which would go some way to replace the recently discontinued bus service. Cllrs had many questions as to how the service would work, which Cllr McLean agreed to feed back. ACTION: Cllr McLean


5.1 The clerk reported that the new litter bin for Gun Lane had arrived and was now awaiting installation, which Cllr Collinge offered to undertake. The council was reminded that the bin can be used for both dog and normal waste. Cllr Hyde suggested that the number of dog bins in the village could now be reduced where there is a litter bin nearby. The clerk will look into this. Cllr Collinge suggested installing the second new litter bin on the High St in place of the two small litter and dog bins near the junction with Crofts End. ACTION: Clerk, Cllr Collinge


6.1 Bank Account balance at 1st October 2013 £24471.81

6.2 Cheques for payment were as follows:

01/10/2013Melba Products Ltd Litter bins £162.96 102138
01/10/2013E.ON Electricity for pavilion £67.33 102139
01/10/2013MK Play Association Play Ranger Sessions £1,540.00 102140
01/10/2013HMRC Clerk's PAYE £19.40 102141
01/10/2013Wendy Austyn Clerk's salary £140.36 102142
01/10/2013Nina Beal Pavilion cleaner £136.50 102143
01/10/2013Bernard Crook Garden Services Ltd Mowing Stonepits Copse £130.80 102144
01/10/2013Martin Jeeves Perry Lane caretaker/bookings £100.00102145
01/10/2013J W Cook & Sons Pavilion rent £100.00 102146
01/10/2013MK Community Mediation Service Donation £100.00 102147


7.1. 13/01457/FUL 26 Gun Lane - Insertion of window into existing door opening and additional window to side elevation. There were no adverse comments.

7.2. 13/01845/FUL 1 Park Road - Garage and workshop conversion to residential use. There were no adverse comments.

7.3. Decisions. The application for Sherington Bridge Lodge was permitted


8.1. Pavilion management group. CThe committee next meets on Thursday 7th November 2013.

8.2. Audit report findings. Jeff Charles, chair of the pavilion management committee attended the meeting, having carried out a Health and Safety audit of the pavilion. There are several issues, the most urgent being a fire safety equipment inspection and a legionella water inspection being overdue. It was agreed that these would be addressed immediately; and the parish council agreed to meet with the management committee separately to go over the other issues. ACTION: Clerk

8.3. Pavilion management committee's terms of reference. Further to the last meeting the clerk had found that the most recently revised agreement from 2010 had not been officially adopted, leaving the previous agreement from 2006 still in place. It was agreed to go over this document at the same meeting as per the previous item.

8.4. Proposals for improvements to lighting and pavilion exterior. The clerk reported that one quote has been received so far. ACTION: Cllr Denman

8.5. Proposals for improvements to pavilion heating. As Cllr Denman was absent there was no update on this. ACTION: Cllr Denman


9.1. NECAF Wednesday 18th September 2013 Cllr McLean reported that this meeting mainly focused on the new developing "Plan MK" which will replace the Core Strategy and look at potential for development, housing, infrastructure etc. for years 2026-31


10.1. Request for donation to NHS Community First Response service. This service works as a precursor to the arrival of the ambulance service in the rural areas. Mike Hughes is one of four volunteers in this area, and has contacted all the rural parish councils asking for a donation towards a First Response kit and training. Councillors agreed this was a worthwhile cause and agreed to invite Mike to the next meeting, along with representatives from other rural parish councils who may wish to make a contribution. ACTION: Clerk

10.2. Christmas Tree lights "switch on" event at The Knoll. The pre-school would like to hold an event similar to May Day on The Knoll when the Christmas tree lights are switched on. Councillors agreed that whilst they had no objection to the event in principle, if it was going to be at all dark then there were serious safety issues as the Knoll is not well-lit and is adjacent to two main roads. The clerk will go back to the pre-school and request more information. ACTION: Clerk


11.1 A resident enquired as to the nature of the recent co-option process whereby the position of councillor was given to someone who doesn't live in Sherington and is related to an existing councillor. Cllr Hyde reaffirmed that the process followed was correct and fair; this matter is now closed.

11.2 A resident made a complaint about the contractor who empties the dog bins regarding careless driving and anti-social behaviour. The clerk will follow this up with the contractor. ACTION: Clerk


12.1 Cllr J Cook enquired as to the situation regarding Ash trees in the village. The clerk reported that whilst it has been confirmed that there are no issues on the land that the parish council is responsible for, namely The Knoll, the Village Hall play area and Stonepits Copse, she would chase for a response from MKC to an email sent in November 2012 about the other trees in the village. ACTION: Clerk

12.2 Cllr Hyde asked if BT had given any information about the state of its wooden columns in the village, the clerk reported that no response has been received as yet. ACTION: Clerk

13. DATE OF NEXT MEETING The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 5th November 2013 at the Village Hall commencing at 7.30 pm. There being no further business the meeting ended at 9.19 pm

          Pages 1446 to 1448  

Previous Meeting - Back to PARISH COUNCIL MINUTES INDEX - Next Meeting

Home Page - About Us - Minutes - Newsletters - Our Needs - Membership - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 11 February 2018