Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Parish Council Minutes

October 2007

Minutes of the Meeting of Sherington Parish Council held on Tuesday 2nd October 2007 in Sherington Village Hall commencing at 7.30pm.

PRESENT: Cllrs Peter Burton (Chair), Peter Cook, David Keene, David Hyde, David Wright and Ian Thomson

ALSO ATTENDING: Wendy Austyn (Clerk) and 6 public.

1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE There were none.

2. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST There were none.

3. MINUTES OF LAST MEETING The minutes of the meeting held on 4th September 2007 were agreed as a true record and signed by the Chairman.

4. SHERINGTON SPORTS GROUND

4.1 Caretaker's report. This has been received for September. Cllr Cook has submitted the revised scope of responsibilities to Shane. Cllr Wright suggested that a regular safety audit of the pavilion and Perry Lane area should be considered.

4.2 Line marking machine. The council approved expenditure of £485 for a new spray marking machine. It was agreed that the parish council would not be responsible for providing the paint, to be confirmed to Sherington Football Club. ACTION: Clerk

4.3 Car park and recreation field maintenance. Much of the current scheduled work is complete. The council now awaits a future regular maintenance schedule and quote from the grounds man. ACTION: Clerk to chase

4.4 Pavilion refurbishment project. Cllr Burton reported that he had had a visit from WREN who could provide funding to both refurbish and extend the pavilion. MKC Community Liaison is also in support of this and may be able to assist with additional funding, as may the Football Foundation from whom application forms have been received. An application form to WREN has been submitted with a response due early December. Cllr Keene thanked Cllr Burton and the clerk for working swiftly to complete and submit the application on time. Architectural plans are now needed and expenditure of £250 for drawings and a planning application was approved. It was agreed to inform the nearby residents by letter of the intention to submit the planning application and also to place posters and a note in SCAN announcing an Open Morning on Sunday 4th November 11-12 to show the drawings of the new building. ACTION: Clerk and Cllr Burton

4.5 Cleaner’s cupboard. Expenditure of £375 for a custom built cupboard that could be moved to another location when appropriate was approved. ACTION: Clerk

5. VILLAGE APPRAISAL Councillors met separately to discuss the way forward with this. It was agreed that the majority of the action points since the appraisal was last updated in November 2004 have been addressed and that a shorter “Parish Plan” was now required. This will be a regularly updated document and Cllr Wright hopes to have a draft ready for review by Christmas, and a publishable document in the Spring. ACTION: Cllr Wright

6. FINANCE

6.1 Monthly balances. Enterprise Account £32968.59; Treasurer Account £1434.68.

6.2 Cheques for payment were as follows:

02/10/2007J W Cook & Son Perry Lane sign £47.00 101489
02/10/2007Milton Keynes Council Goal mouth turf watering £129.25 101490
02/10/2007Anglian Water Pavilion water £123.14 101491
02/10/2007Shane Lea Perry Lane Caretaker £50.00 101492
02/10/2007Wendy Austyn Clerk's salary £218.14 101494
02/10/2007A H Contracts Dog bins £47.19 101495
02/10/2007Powergen Pavilion electricity £32.91 101496

6.3 Xmas lights. Expenditure of £102.81 was approved. ACTION: Clerk

7. PLANNING

7.1. 07/00779/FUL 24 Gun Lane - new dwelling
The council has been informed that this has now been approved so no further comment was passed.

7.2. 07/01413/FUL 2 Church Road – first floor rear extension
No adverse comments.

7.3. 07/01490/FUL The Barn, Park Road – new porch and relocate gates
No adverse comments.

7.4. 07/01588/TCA Manor House, High St – fell various trees
No adverse comments.

7.5. 06/01349/FULEIS Petsoe End wind farm
The applicants have provided supplementary information, to which there were no comments.

7.6. Recent planning decisions
24 Gun Lane approved as above.

8. EXTERNAL MEETINGS

8.1. MKNECAF 26th September 2007 Cllr Hyde reported from this meeting – Samantha Morris presented an item on safety outside rural schools and it was hoped that she would visit Sherington in the near future; Ceri Griffin confirmed the intended cycle route into Sherington from Olney and has also told the clerk that lining works may commence within a month; there was discussion of the movement of traffic through Olney High Street and, in particular, of the problems caused by the narrow “pinch point” south of the turning to Weston Underwood; the planning application for the Petsoe End Wind Farm will probably be considered by the Control Committee in mid December; and further to the item on Emergency Planning it was agreed that someone should be invited to a parish council meeting to talk about this in case there is anything that the council should be considering. ACTION: Clerk

8.2. TVP Open Meeting of Rural Communities. Thursday 8th November 8.15pm Moulsoe Milennium Hall Cllr Cook will try to attend.ACTION: Cllr Cook

9. CORRESPONDENCE

9.1. Street Lighting request. A request for a street light at the junction opposite Sherington Bridge Farm has been received. The council agreed that it did not support this request.ACTION: Clerk

9.2. Anglian Water. Copies of correspondence have been sent to Mark Bennett MKC who meets regularly with AW representatives. It was agreed to request Mark’s input. Nothing further has been heard from AW regarding archive information.ACTION: Clerk

10. PUBLIC COMMENTS

10.1. The parish council agreed that when appropriate, it would be happy to sponsor a pre-election event at the village hall to which the local candidates would be invited.

10.2. An update on Stonepits Close was requested. It now seems likely that tree planting will not take place until autumn 2008; Cllr Keene suggested that a visit to nearby newly created woodland at Hazeley on the west side of Milton Keynes should be carried out, together with a site inspection of the Stonepits site. The question arose as to the conditions of the deeds, Tony Pilcher recalled that being an old stone pit, officially the land should be available to extract more stone if necessary but doubted there would be any. The legal issues would be investigated prior to any binding decisions being taken. The current tenant advised that there are power lines overhead that may make maintenance difficult and also suggested that leaving the land partly available for grazing would make it more interesting. The current tenant also requested that his temporary fence be left over the winter if the licence is going to be available for a second season. ACTION: Cllr Keene

10.3. The results of the recent SID survey were requested. It was noted that the device was recording a vehicle’s speed before it passed the 30mph sign as well as after. The clerk reported that a request has been received for a SID survey on Perry Lane. ACTION: Clerk

10.4. A request was received to look at the state of the grass verge on School Lane opposite Gun Lane now that the contractor has vacated.ACTION: Clerk

10.5. Work commencing to clear the footpath to Newport Pagnell is still awaited. ACTION: Clerk

10.6. A Water Lane resident expressed concerns over traffic speed in the High St and Water Lane. It was agreed to contact MKC and suggest a meeting. ACTION: Clerk

10.7. Several of the wooden posts surrounding The Knoll need replacing. The council agreed to arrange repairs. ACTION: Clerk

11. COUNCILLORS ITEMS

11.1. Cllr Wright reported that there is an area of hedge on School Lane near the junction with Crofts End that needs attention. ACTION: Clerk

11.2. Cllr Wright reported significant dog fouling in the field between church and the High St. It was agreed to investigate the cost of additional dog bins and emptying. The clerk reported a sudden increase of fouling in the Village Hall play area at Carters Close end by the fence. ACTION: Clerk

11.3. Following last month’s meeting Cllr Keene contacted MKC Planning and was informed that the installation of a third passing bay in the built up area of Water Lane was not physically possible and not required by law so would not be enforced. A letter would be sent however reminding the developer at End Farm to install the two passing bays in the field ASAP as there is now a breach of planning consent. It was agreed to enquire about recouping the fee paid to MKC for the third bay for the benefit of the village. ACTION: Clerk

11.4. Cllr Keene reported trees on the Knoll protruding into the bus stop. Other areas with trees such as the village hall play area, Perry Lane play area and Carters Close need reviewing and it was agreed to ask MKC if it would carry out this service. ACTION: Clerk

11.5. It was noted that the property containing the village post office is up for sale.

11.6. Cllr Hyde reported that McAlpine still has 8 properties to connect under ground power to; it was agreed to write a letter of concern regarding the slow progress and asking whether the parish council could be of any assistance. Aylesbury Mains now has to confirm that all the new street lights are working correctly. It was also agreed to invite BT for a site visit to consider rationalising the remaining poles. ACTION: Clerk and Cllr Hyde

11.7. It was agreed to check the Pre-school policy/process for checking the pre-school play area as it may be that the parish council does not need to replicate this task. Cllr Wright reported that the wooden Wendy House needs repairing/replacing and it was agreed to contact the Pre-school about this in the first instance. ACTION: Clerk

11.8. Cllr Burton reported that part of the fence in the Village Hall play area needs repairing/replacing. ACTION: Clerk

12. DATE OF NEXT MEETING The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 6th November 2007 at the Village Hall commencing at 7.30pm. There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.32 pm

          Pages 1243 to 1245  

Previous Meeting - Back to PARISH COUNCIL MINUTES INDEX - Next Meeting

Home Page - About Us - Minutes - Newsletters - Our Needs - Membership - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 11 February 2018