Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Parish Council Minutes

October 2008

Minutes of the Meeting of Sherington Parish Council held on Tuesday 7th October 2008 in Sherington Village Hall commencing at 7.30pm.

PRESENT: Cllrs Peter Burton (Chair), David Keene, Ian Thomson, David Hyde, David Wright and Peter Cook

ALSO ATTENDING: Wendy Austyn (Clerk), and four members of the public.

1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
Cllr Masters.

2. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
None.

3. MINUTES OF LAST MEETING
The minutes of the meeting held on 2nd September 2008 were agreed as a true record and signed by the Chairman..

4. CLERK'S REPORT

Cycle path/speed limit on Alban Hill. MKC has carried out further speed checks on this stretch of road and reported that average speed is around 40mph. A response is now awaited from Thames Valley Police.ACTION: Clerk

Bus shelter. At the onsite meeting with MKC it was agreed to leave the location of the shelter in its original position but to narrow the exit of the lay-by at that end to prevent vehicles pulling out behind a stationary bus. Councillors were happy with the final proposals so the clerk will now go ahead and order the special level access kerbing. Estimated shelter installation date is early March 2009.ACTION: Clerk

Kerbing on Crofts End. MKC has stated it does intend to install new kerbing in phases right the way along Crofts End up to Perry Lane. (Post meeting note – the next phase/s will be in the new financial year).

Hillview kerbing. A number of complaints about the new kerbing have been forwarded to MKC Highways for action.

Village Hall footpath. The refurbishment has been completed apart from topsoil infill around the edges to be carried out asap. Cllr Wright reported that after heavy rain there were no puddles along the new path.

Path opposite Manor Farm. A number of complaints about the state of the footpath opposite Manor Farm have been forwarded to MKC Highways for action.

5. STONEPITS CLOSE WOODLAND PROJECT

Cllr Keene reported that MKC has carried out a levels survey and has prepared a suggested woodland design along with lists of recommended trees to plant. At a meeting with Cllr Masters Central Networks suggested a solution regarding the electricity pole which would involve the parish council paying to have a trench dug so that the cables could be laid under ground. Cllr Keene will investigate the logistics of this and also sources of funding for the woodland scheme. ACTION: Cllr Keene

6. ANGLIAN WATER – SURFACE WATER SEWER AND DITCH

Cllrs Cook and Thomson met with AWS on site where despite reasons for the contrary AWS states it will only be piping one third of the ditch, thereby merely moving the current problem further along. AWS also now claims the letter sent to Sherington Parish Council in 1996 accepting responsibility for the ditch was an error. Work cannot commence until Cllr Cook agrees access to his land, so it was agreed to send a letter to the CEO stating all the issues and possible alternative solutions. ACTION: Cllr Cook

7. SHERINGTON ON SHOW DISPLAY

Cllr Wright reported that he has all the various visual display material and it was agreed to keep things fairly simple and allow more detailed discussions on specific subjects as they occur. ACTION: Cllr Wright

8. SOUTH EAST PLAN – PROPOSED CHANGES

Cllr Sam Potts was not at the parish council meeting and a detailed list of planning reasons why the proposed changes should not go ahead has not been received for consideration. After some discussion it was agreed that the parish council stands by the original recommendations laid out by the panel who conducted the examination into the South East Plan. A statement of response will be sent by the deadline of 24th October. ACTION: Cllr Keene

9. FINANCE

Monthly balances. Enterprise Account £34337.21; Treasurer Account £28775.11

9.2. Cheques for payment were as follows:

07/10/2008E.ON Pavilion electricity £41.13 101603
07/10/2008Sports Ground Services Mowing £405.38 101604
07/10/2008Anglian Water Pavilion water £111.36 101605
07/10/2008R C Builders & Contractors Pavilion extension £25,850.00 101606
07/10/2008A H Contracts Dog bins £105.28 101607
07/10/2008Wendy Austyn Clerk's salary £292.23 101608
07/10/2008Wendy Austyn Clerk's expenses £20.34 101609
07/10/2008Colin Scowen Perry Lane caretaker £62.00 101610
07/10/2008Nina Beal Pavilion cleaner £42.00 101611

9.3. Play Area Improvement Fund. MKC has awarded matched funding of £1250 to the pre-school play area; the clerk is liaising with the pre-school on this. ACTION: Clerk

10. PLANNING

10.1. 08/01409/FUL Church Farm – field shelter There was no adverse comment but this has already been permitted.

10.2. 08/01559/FUL 35 Church Road – single storey rear extension . No adverse comment.

10.3. Decisions. Permission has been granted to 2 Griggs Orchard (rear conservatory).

10.4. 08/01002/FUL Land adj. to 10 Crofts End. It was agreed to contact Cllr Sam Potts expressing the council’s dissatisfaction on the way this has been handled, as granting retrospective planning permission when there has been considerable flouting of rules and several objections makes a mockery of the planning and consultation process. ACTION: Cllr Burton

11. SHERINGTON SPORTS GROUND

11.1. Pavilion building project. . Cllr Burton reported that building work of the new extension continues to progress. The Football Foundation has requested considerable amounts of extra information; due to the predicted timescales and uncertainty whether funding would even be granted, it was regrettably agreed to withdraw this application. This means that work to refurbish the original part of the building will now take place next year with alternative funding to be sourced over the next few months. ACTION: Cllr Burton, Clerk

11.2. Pavilion management committee. Cllr Thomson reported that next steps are to set up a new bank account and have the remaining Perry Lane budget transferred over. Advertising can commence and fixtures, fitting and equipment now needs to be purchased. The chairman reported that Willen Juniors FC will be playing the remainder of its home games at Sherington; the clerk will enquire as to whether there are vacancies for any interested village children. ACTION: Cllr Thomson/Masters, Clerk

11.3. Perry Lane grounds man and caretaker duties. Cllr Burton will speak to Crooks Garden Centre about landscaping at the recreation ground; the management group will arrange a meeting with the caretaker to go over his duties and discuss which of the groundsman tasks he could take on. ACTION: Cllr Masters/ Thompson

12. EXTERNAL MEETINGS

12.1. MKNECAF Wed 17th September. No one was available to attend.

12.2. Sherington Ward Matters meeting 24th September. Cllr Burton reported that items discussed included North East Area Forums, development east of M1, wind farms and Neighbourhood Action Groups. It was agreed to only hold this meeting twice a year.

12.3. Councillors’ Code of Conduct Training Tues 21st October. Cllr Masters will attend the 6.30pm session and Cllr Thomson at 3pm.

13. CORRESPONDENCE

13.1. Parish and Unitary Councils Best Practises. A letter is being circulated asking for a parish nominee for this new forum.

14. PUBLIC COMMENTS

14.1. It was suggested that the hedge opposite Manor Farm be left alone and the footpath be moved away from the hedge.

14.2. The footpath at the Sherington Bridge turn is in a bad way, the bench is also overgrown and can’t currently be used. After heavy water there is considerable standing water on the junction. ACTION: Clerk

14.3. Good to see caution and control being exercised with regards to hiring out the new facilities at Perry Lane.

15. COUNCILLORS ITEMS

15.1. Cllr Hyde reported rain water sitting proud of the manholes on Bedford Road, this was reported to MKC some time ago

15.2. Cllr Hyde reported the removal of the final column on Crofts End

15.3. The parish council was saddened to hear about the recent death of Pam Cook who was a very effective clerk to the council for many years in the past. The council’s sincerest thoughts and condolences are extended to John Cook and his family.

16. DATE OF NEXT MEETING The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 4th November 2008 at the Village Hall commencing at 7.30pm. There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.10 pm

          Pages 1270 to 1272  

Previous Meeting - Back to PARISH COUNCIL MINUTES INDEX - Next Meeting

Home Page - About Us - Minutes - Newsletters - Our Needs - Membership - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 11 February 2018