Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Parish Council Minutes

September 2010

Minutes of the Meeting of Sherington Parish Council held on Tuesday 7th September 2010 in Sherington Village Hall commencing at 7.30pm.

PRESENT: Cllrs Peter Burton (Chair), Trevor Kirby and John Ager.

ALSO ATTENDING: Wendy Austyn (Clerk), Cllr Sam Potts and ten other members of the public (several of whom left after the shop item)

1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
Cllr Cook, Keene, Hyde and Thomson.

2. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
None.

3. MINUTES OF LAST MEETING
The minutes of the meeting held on 6th July 2010 were agreed as a true record and signed by the Chairman.

4. CLERK'S REPORT

4.1 MKC road resurfacing programme. MKC’s Ian McGregor has reported that resource for road repairs has had to be diverted to the main road network this year. The provisional outcome of next year’s schedule should be available by December 2010 and High St Sherington is earmarked for resurfacing. ACTION: Clerk

4.2 Church End parking. MKC have confirmed the sloping land in front of the lych gate is adopted highway and can put together a proposal to create a parking space if required, as has been suggested. Councillors acknowledged that parking and traffic will always be an issue on narrow residential roads in villages such as Church End, and felt that the provision of one parking space, whether it be for a Disabled Vehicle or Funeral Car etc would have very little impact, whilst costing the taxpayer several thousand pounds to install. It was therefore decided not to pursue the issue any further.

4.3 MKC Tree Officer query. In response to Cllr Hyde’s question over “wounds” on trees in the play area, Stephen Narborough (MKC Arboricultural Officer) has confirmed that this is merely a term used to refer to any break in the surface of the tree and there was no criticism of previous crown lifting work implied.

4.4 Salt Bins. These have now been situated around the village and filled by MKC. It was agreed to obtain guidelines for their usage. ACTION: Clerk

4.5 Nets on goal posts. A note has gone into SCAN asking youths to remove the nets from the junior goalposts in the village hall play area after use as per the Football Foundation’s Goalpost Safety Scheme.

4.6 Bonfires. MKC Environment Protection has advised that bonfires are frowned upon as all smoke is toxic and all households have access to a green bin for garden waste. It was agreed to place a note in SCAN and letters can be sent to known offenders. ACTION: Clerk

4.7 Village Hall play area dog fouling. The contractor who mows this area has complained of an increase in this problem again. Sam Potts will arrange for some stickers and small signs to be sited in appropriate places. ACTION: Clerk

5. COMMUNITY SHOP COMMITTEE UPDATE

Tony Pilcher reported that the shop committee and parish council had met with village hall trustees informally on 4th September 2010 and successfully clarified some outstanding issues including the confirmation that there are currently no plans to develop the village hall. Tony indicated that due to financial constraints it looks unlikely that a new shop will be built opposite the village hall but there is another pre-existing rental location at Manor Farm that is currently being considered. The recent survey has received a good response and has proved that a shop is desired by the village and that the quality of the service is key. The shop committee is still in the feasibility phase and is hoping to meet with Ian Toye of the Plunkett Foundation before making a firm decision by the end of October.

6. STONEPITS COPSE IMPROVEMENTS

The clerk is still looking into obtaining quotes for improvement works, but as Cllr Keene was absent it was agreed to look at this again at the October meeting. ACTION: Clerk

7. FINANCE

7.1 Monthly Balances Enterprise Account £2501.11; Treasurer Account £2551.98

7.2 Cheques for payment were as follows:

07/09/2010Sports Ground Services Mowing rec field £486.45 101826
07/09/2010CopyWrite Business Services Photocopying shop survey £52.00 101827
07/09/2010E.ON Electricity for pavilion £44.33 101828
07/09/2010SCAN magazine Advertising for pavilion £135.00 101829
07/09/2010A H Contracts Dog bins £185.06 101830
07/09/2010Sherington Village Hall Hall Hire £33.00 101831
07/09/2010Anglian Water Water at pavilion £263.38 101832
07/09/2010Hygienic Interiors Ltd Remove pavilion flooring £352.50 101833
07/09/2010Wendy Austyn Clerk's salary £239.78 101834
07/09/2010Martin Jeeves Perry Lane caretaker/bookings £200.00 101835
07/09/2010Nina Beal Pavilion cleaner £101.00 101836
07/09/2010Milton Keynes Council Rates for pavilion £182.35 101837

7.3 Cheque signatories It was agreed to add Cllrs Kirby and Ager to the bank mandate. ACTION: Clerk

8. PLANNING

8.1 10/01330/FUL Old Post Office 21 High St – second storey extension. The clerk has already passed councillors comments to MKC Planning in August. Concerns were raised over the scale of the proposals and councillors were aware of objections raised by neighbours.

8.2 10/01458/LBC 18 Park Road – chimney liner and pot. No adverse comments.

8.3 10/01488/FUL 44 Water Lane – change of use of land and install arena. Cllr Kirby declined to comment. Other councillors had no adverse comments but agreed with the MKC Highways officer that no competitions or events should be allowed that would have an impact on traffic on Water Lane.

Decisions. Applications from 8 Crofts End, 11 Crofts End and 53 High St have all been granted.

9. SHERINGTON SPORTS GROUND

9.1. Pavilion flooring issue. Cllr Burton reported that because MK Flooring who installed the new floor had declined to give a quote, the parish council had had no option but to instruct a separate contractor Hygienic Flooring Ltd to remove the topmost layer following the appearance of water bubbles over the last few months. Within a few days the water underneath had evaporated indicating that there was no issue with the building itself and it was agreed to go ahead and lay a new floor. The costs quoted are £2307.50 which will have to be funded from monies allocated to other projects which will now be delayed. It was agreed to suspend standing orders in these exceptional circumstances where time is a critical factor, and not obtain another quote to do this work. Cllr Burton proposed the expenditure, seconded by Cllr Ager and all agreed, either at the meeting or beforehand. ACTION: Cllr Burton, Clerk

9.2. Pavilion management group. In Cllr Thomson’s absence Cllr Burton reported from the latest management group minutes – the BMX track is to have the stones removed and be turfed over; a successful football tournament was held by an outside company; and a village fete has been suggested. The clerk reported that the rates for the building have now doubled and that another high water bill has been received. It was agreed to contact Anglian Water to check for any further leaks ACTION: Cllr Thomson, Clerk

10. EXTERNAL MEETINGS

10.1. NECAF meeting 15th September 7.30pm The Olney Centre

11. CORRESPONDENCE

11.1. Wind farm. Now that the turbines are operational MK Windfarm Ltd has issued a telephone number 0800 7318755 for anyone who believes their television signal to be affected. The clerk is continuing to chase for progress of the Community Benefit Fund. Cllr Potts said he would try to find out what was happening. ACTION: Clerk, Cllr Potts

11.2. School governors re village website. A letter has been received from the vice-chair of the governors asking the parish council to fund the village website operating costs of around £40 per year. It was agreed that whilst the parish council has no issue in supporting such ventures, that it would prefer to receive such a request from the website manager himself. ACTION: Clerk

11.3. Request Water Lane litter bin. A letter has been received from a resident concerned about the amount of litter left at the turning point on Water Lane. It was agreed to look into costs of installing a litter bin. ACTION: Clerk

12.PUBLIC COMMENTS

12.1. A resident commented that it would have been better to have more than one quote to do the pavilion flooring.

12.2. A resident commented on the lack of visibility at the Knoll from Church Road when turning onto the High St, when vans are left parked on the corner.

13 COUNCILLORS ITEMS

13.1. Cllr Kirby reported that the village clean up in July went well with a good turnout of volunteers and what with a surprisingly low amount of litter needing to be collected no one had to work too hard. It was agreed to put a note of thanks in SCAN. ACTION: Clerk

14. DATE OF NEXT MEETING The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 5th October 2010 at the Village Hall commencing at 7.30 pm. There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.05pm

          Pages 1341 to 1343  

Previous Meeting - Back to PARISH COUNCIL MINUTES INDEX - Next Meeting

Home Page - About Us - Minutes - Newsletters - Our Needs - Membership - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 11 February 2018