Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Parish Council Minutes

September 2011

Minutes of the Meeting of Sherington Parish Council held on Tuesday 6th September 2011 at Sherington Village Hall, commencing at 7.30pm.

PRESENT: Cllrs J Ager (Vice Chair), I Thomson and M Northfield

ALSO ATTENDING: Wendy Austyn (Clerk) and 5 members of the public

1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
Cllrs Denman, Hyde and Keene.

2. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
Cllr Northfield declared an interest in the Community Shop item.

3. MINUTES OF LAST MEETING
The minutes of the meeting held on 6th July and 9th August 2011 were agreed as a true record and signed by the Vice Chairman.

4. CLERK'S REPORT

4.1 Church Road water leaks. The occupier of 7 Church Road has reported that some repair work to his property has been carried out but that the leaks persist and it is currently believed that underground springs further up Church Road may be partly to blame. It was agreed to contact MKC to investigate whilst still pursuing Anglian Water to do as much as possible. ACTION: Clerk

4.2 Councillor vacancy. The vacancy still exists and the clerk clarified that in order to qualify as a councillor a candidate must have occupied a property in the parish for the twelve preceding months. It was agreed to carry on advertising the vacancy. ACTION: Clerk

4.3 Public Footpath signs. The clerk confirmed that public footpath signs are the responsibility of MKC to maintain or replace so it was agreed to chase for two new signs, one for outside the flats in the High St and one on Crofts End outside Bancroft field. ACTION: Clerk

4.4 Proposed amendment to Standing Orders. The clerk has consulted with BALC and reported that a councillor may carry out minor works for the council as a contractor as long as this is clearly recorded in the minutes. An inclusion in the Standing Orders of the council is advised. It was agreed to agree a limit of expenditure of this nature at the next meeting.

4.5 Electricity socket on the Knoll. This was deferred to the next meeting.

4.6 Youth Club community project. The youth club requested a community project for an evening in early October but it was agreed there was nothing suitable for this time. It is likely however that projects such as tree planting and helping with the new shop could be arranged in the spring.

5. COMMUNITY SHOP COMMITTEE UPDATE

Cllr Northfield reported that planning permission has now been granted and an architect has been asked to quote to project manage the works necessary to get the building installed. Donations now total nearly £16k with another £5k pledged but more funds are needed and another flyer will be going out to all homes in the village. Funding applications are being made to the MK Community Foundation, Leader Fund and Big Lottery Fund. An individual with small shop and post office experience has come forward who is willing to take on the newspaper franchise and run the shop as a private business which would result in him paying rent for the premises and taking on all responsibility for the commercial activity. The empty portacabin at Frensham has now been sold elsewhere but Shopco is looking into other available options. An application from Shopco to form a limited company has been made, which will then mean a bank account can be opened. Royal Mail has been in touch and is keen to re-establish the post office in the village asap. ACTION: Cllr Northfield

6. FINANCE

6.1 Monthly Balances Enterprise Account £1075.36; Treasurer Account £1711.45

6.2 Cheques for payment were as follows:

06/09/2011A H Contracts Dog bins £189.00 101929
06/09/2011Bernard Crook Garden Services Ltd Stonepits bridge handrail £162.00 101930
06/09/2011Mazars LLP Audit fee £342.00 101931
06/09/2011E.ON Electricity for pavilion £49.98 101932
06/09/2011Anglian Water Water for pavilion £187.17 101933
06/09/2011Wendy Austyn Clerk's salary £268.41 101934
06/09/2011Martin Jeeves Perry Lane caretaker/bookings £200.00 101935
06/09/2011Nexus Cleaning Supplies Toilet paper for pavilion £42.54 101936
06/09/2011Nina Beal Pavilion cleaner £87.50 101937
06/09/2011Sherington Village Hall Hall hire £22.00 101938

6.3 Approve expenditure £40 memorial tree It was agreed to purchase a tree to be planted at Manor Farm in memory of Cllr Peter Cook. Peter Burton has kindly agreed to arrange this on behalf of the council. ACTION: Clerk

6.4 Donation received Before the local elections Sam Potts donated £1040 towards new benches for the village. Councillors will agree how to spend this at the next precept meeting.

6.5 Income banked in dormant account on behalf of Shopco The parish council agreed to temporarily look after Shopco money in an otherwise dormant account until the committee can get its own bank account. The clerk banked donations totalling £15595.00 in August

6.5 Donation It was agreed to spend an extra £160 more than already budgeted on miscellaneous expenditure towards Shopco's application to become a limited company.

7. PLANNING APPLICATIONS AND DECISIONS

7.1. 11/01784/FUL The Old Post Office - First floor rear extension. The applicant, his architect and a neighbour were all allowed to speak at this point and after due consideration councillors agreed that they fully appreciated the neighbour's concerns over loss of light and privacy but understood the applicant had made adjustments to minimise this. It was agreed that as long as the application now complies with MKC Planning Policy and that the MKC conservation officer was now happy; there was no objection to make.

7.2. 11/01698/TCA 23 High St -Notification of intention to fell one spruce. There were no adverse comments.

7.3. 11/01710/CLUP 1 Griggs Orchard - Certification of lawfulness for the proposed erection of a single storey extension. There were no adverse comments.

7.4. 11/01823/FUL 1 The Knoll - Conversion and extension of garage. The neighbour has informed the parish council of his objections and after due consideration it was agreed that there was no objection in principle to the application but it would like reassurance that there can still be off-road parking for the property should the parish council decide in future that it is no longer appropriate to park vehicles on the current track way which is part of the village green.

7.5. Decisions. The applications for 18 Crofts End, 26 gun Lane, Bridge House at Sherington Bridge, 23 Water Lane and the temporary shop on church road have all been permitted. The application for 25 Crofts End has been refused.

7.6. Sherington House, Park Road After the August planning meeting, councillors agreed that there was no objection to the construction of a shed and barn but that the plans did not show its exact location.

8. SHERINGTON SPORTS GROUND

8.1. Pavilion management group. Cllr Ager reported that the fete made a small profit; bookings are gradually increasing and that there will be no Sherington FC team playing on the football pitch this year.

9. EXTERNAL MEETINGS

9.1. Alternative Service Delivery (Localism) workshop Wed 7th September. Cllr Northfield will attend this informal discussion forum and get more of an idea of what is expected.

9.2. Next NECAF Wed 21st September 7.30pm Emberton Institute. Cllr Keene will try to attend

10. CORRESPONDENCE/CONSULTATIONS

10.1. Central Networks planned works. The parish council has been notified of planned works to the High St from November to December 2011.

10.2. Objection re temporary shop. The council acknowledged receipt of a neighbour's objection to the proposed shop on Church Road.

10.3. Re-opening of Post Office. Royal Mail has begun a consultation regarding the proposed relocation of the post office to the new shop on Church Road. This will be on next month's agenda.

11.PUBLIC COMMENTS

11.1 A resident asked the parish council to write to Central Networks concerning recent power outages and variations of voltage, and whether the proposed work in the High St will improve this. ACTION: Clerk

11.2. Peter Burton has received posters from Royal Mail regarding the post office consultation, it was agreed to put these up on noticeboards. ACTION: Clerk

12 COUNCILLORS ITEMS

12.1 Cllr Northfield suggested that some trees currently on offer from The Woodland Trust could be planted outside the new shop on Church Road.

13. DATE OF NEXT MEETING The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 4th October 2011 at the Village Hall commencing at 7.30 pm. There being no further business the meeting closed at 8.40 pm

          Pages 1375 to 1377  

Previous Meeting - Back to PARISH COUNCIL MINUTES INDEX - Next Meeting

Home Page - About Us - Minutes - Newsletters - Our Needs - Membership - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 11 February 2018