Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Parish Council Minutes

September 2012

Minutes of the Meeting of Sherington Parish Council held on Tuesday 4th September 2012 at Sherington Village Hall, commencing at 7.30pm.

PRESENT: Cllrs J Ager (Acting Chair), D Hyde, A Green, M Northfield, D Keene (arrived 7.50pm) and I Collinge

ALSO ATTENDING:Wendy Austyn (Clerk), Cllr K McLean (Sherington Ward) and two members of the public


Cllrs Ager and Green declared an interest in item 9 and Cllr Northfield declared an interest in item 5.

The minutes of the meeting held on 10th July 2012 were agreed as a true record and signed by the acting Chairman.

Ian Collinge was co-opted onto the council. He signed a Declaration of Acceptance of Office and submitted a Register of Interests. ACTION: Clerk

Cllr Northfield reported that this is still awaiting completion. ACTION: Cllrs Keene and Northfield

Councillors adopted the new model Code of Conduct as recommended by MKC, including an addition to the parish council's standing orders regarding pecuniary interests. All parish councillors were also asked to complete a new Register of Interests. ACTION: All Cllrs, Clerk


7.1 New village seating. The clerk reminded the parish council that money had been set aside in the 2012/13 precept for some new seats in the village. It was agreed that a new seat should be sited on the corner opposite Manor Farm and perhaps two at the recreation ground. It was also agreed that the seats should be made from recycled plastic that looks like wood, to minimise potential for vandalism. The clerk has started to obtain quotes and will continue this and report to the next meeting. ACTION: Clerk

7.2 Traffic at Sherington Bridge. Thanks to help from Cllr McLean a response to the issue raised by Sherington Bridge residents over increased traffic has finally received some attention. It was acknowledged that the road from Newport Pagnell to Sherington is a designated HGV route for southerly traffic from Northampton, so if, for example, HGVs are diverted off the motorway at junction 15 for some reason they will use this road to reach junction 14. Richard Duffill has promised to send contractors to the site to monitor traffic; Cllr McLean has requested that he report back to the parish council by 21st September.


8.1 Bank Account balance at 4th September 2012 £10594.83

8.2 Cheques for payment were as follows:

04/09/2012Valerie Hargreaves Cllr McLean donation to Olympics £100.00 102031
04/09/2012Sherington Village Hall Hall hire £24.00 102032
04/09/2012A H Contracts Dog Bins £273.00 102033
04/09/2012MK Play Association Play Ranger summer sessions £560.00 102034
04/09/2012Sports Ground Services Mowing rec field £331.20 102035
04/09/2012Wendy Austyn Clerk's salary £294.25 102036
04/09/2012Martin Jeeves Perry Lane caretaker and bookings £200.00 102037
04/09/2012Anglian Water Water for pavilion £253.46 102038
04/09/2012Nina Beal Pavilion cleaner £112.00 102039

8.3 Funding Application to MK Community Foundation It was agreed to set aside £2000 from the 2013/14 budget towards more MKPA play ranger sessions next year. This means that the clerk can resubmit an application for funding to the MKCF to bring the total funding to £7000 which would fund a year of sessions. The clerk will submit the new application by 14th December 2012. ACTION: Clerk

8.4 Funding Applications to PPF The parish council, on behalf of Shopco was successful in being awarded a match funded grant of £6000. This has already been claimed and a payment awaited.

8.5 Funding application to PAIF The parish council was successful in being awarded a match funded grant of £2500 towards adult fitness equipment. The location has yet to be finalised though and it was agreed to place a note in SCAN proposing the recreation ground as the preferred location, in case there are a significant number of objections ACTION: Clerk


Decisions. The application for 2 Hillview was permitted; and four applications to extend the time limit on previous applications for The Manor, 4 High St were also permitted


10.1. Pavilion management group. Cllr Ager reported from the last meeting held on 17th July that bookings are on the increase.


11.1. NECAF 5th September This meeting has been cancelled, Cllr McLean reported that only a couple of MKC officers would have been present to answer questions or give information so it was felt best to cancel. ACTION: Clerk

11.2. Parishes Forum Thurs 6th September This is held in the Council Chambers from 7pm

11.3. Neighbourhood Walkabout Cllr Hyde reported that he had walked around Sherington with Heather Baker from Neighbourhood Services who made a note of environmental issues such as potholes and damaged kerbs. Heather told Cllr Hyde she would forward a list of the points raised to the Clerk but this has not been received. He had also asked for clarity on responsibility for clearing back overhanging vegetation on footpaths. ACTION: Clerk


12.1. Government consultation on payments by parish councils The proposals basically remove the statutory requirement for two signatures on all cheques, thereby paving the way for using electronic and online payment processes. Controls on safeguarding the authorisation process on such payments have not yet been proposed. Councillors responded favourably to the current proposals but will not make any changes to standing orders until more information is received. ACTION: Clerk


13.1 Cllr McLean congratulated the organisers of the Sherington Olympics for a successful event

13.2 Potholes in Water Lane have still not been repaired. ACTION: Clerk

13.3 A resident has reported a hole in a driveway at Water Lane Farm that has exposed the culvert underneath. It was agreed that as this was on private land it was for the resident to contact the relevant authorities. ACTION: Clerk

13.4 It was reported that new black sacks will be delivered to households on 8th October.

13.5 The footpath on the corner of High St and Newport Road opposite Sherington Bridge is now very narrow. It was agreed to ask that it be part of the planned footpath works on Newport Road. ACTION: Clerk

13.6 It was reported that cars are frequently parking on pavements and close to junctions affecting visibility of other road users. Water Lane and Hillview were mentioned specifically Cllrs Keene and Northfield agreed to speak to individual residents where known. It was also agreed to place a general note in SCAN magazine. ACTION: Clerk, Cllr Keene, Cllr Northfield


14.1 Cllr Hyde reported that the public footpath through the field to Stonepits Copse is badly overgrown. It was agreed to contact J W Cook & Son. ACTION: Clerk

14.2 Cllr Northfield gave an update on the shop. The path from the shop to Church Road is complete with another being constructed leading to the existing play area path. Udi and Dina are the proud parents of a new baby; and the business is doing well. There was a small fire in the electrical distribution box recently; repairs are being dealt with accordingly. Shopco's finances are healthy enough to start paying back its loans.

14.3 Cllr Keene reported that Stonepits Copse could do with its grass being mown. The clerk confirmed there is money allocated for this so Cllr Keene will speak to Peter Crook ACTION: Cllr Keene

14.4 Cllr Keene reported being contacted about the possibility of having a No Cold Calling Zone in the village. It was agreed that this is for groups of residents to agree and organise amongst themselves as not all residents would want it, however the clerk will try to find out what the process for establishing such zones is ACTION: Clerk

15. DATE OF NEXT MEETING The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 2nd October 2012 at the Village Hall commencing at 7.30 pm.

          Pages 1407 to 1409  

Previous Meeting - Back to PARISH COUNCIL MINUTES INDEX - Next Meeting

Home Page - About Us - Minutes - Newsletters - Our Needs - Membership - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 11 February 2018