Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Parish Council Minutes

September 2013

Minutes of the Meeting of Sherington Parish Council held on Tuesday 3rd September 2013 at Sherington Village Hall, commencing at 7.30pm.

PRESENT: Cllrs A Denman, J Ager, D Hyde, M Northfield, I Collinge and J Cook

ALSO ATTENDING: Wendy Austyn (Clerk) and five members of the public.

1. RECEIVE AND ACCEPT APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
Cllr S Cook.

2. RECEIVE DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
None.

3. APPROVE MINUTES OF LAST MEETING
The minutes of the meeting held on 2nd July 2013 were agreed as a true record and signed by the Chairman.

4. COUNCILLOR VACANCY UPDATE
The clerk reported that two applications had been received and a working group was asked to interview both candidates. Following this Cllr Hyde proposed and Cllr Ager seconded that James Cook be co-opted to the council. This was agreed by a majority of 4 votes to 1 with Cllr Collinge voting against. The criteria for both elected and co-opted councillors were clarified to councillors and the public; and then James took his place at the council table and signed a Declaration of Acceptance of Office. ACTION: Clerk

5. WARD COUNCILLOR'S ITEMS

5.1 Cllr McLean reported that MKC Cabinet has approved the use of all MKC crews to undertake defect repairs to carriageways, redways and footpaths until the end of March 2104; this will incur an additional spend of £10m. It is hoped that the majority of potholes will be repaired by the time winter sets in, weather depending. The public are urged to report all road defects and the clerk will endeavour to obtain a list of all "active" defects in the parish. ACTION: Clerk

5.2 Cllr McLean updated the council that there is now a new No. 1 Sunday bus service but that evenings are still presenting a problem. A local private hire company has been asked to consider providing this service.

5.3 Cllr McLean reported that there is a supplementary planning document regarding wind farms out for consultation.

6. 2014 WHITE HART BEER & SAUSAGE FESTIVAL
Michael Cook spoke to the meeting to confirm that J W Cook & Son has offered the use of the "sledging" field off Chicheley Hill for next year's festival, subject to various conditions being met. Giles Fern representing The White Hart Pub spoke to the meeting to confirm that several issues and their possible solutions were being considered. These include insurance, access, health and safety, parking, security, utilities, toilet facilities, visitor volumes, signage and lighting. He confirmed that the Licensing Officer has no objection in principle to the proposed relocation, and that the Safety Advisory Group has suggested contacting MKC Transport officers for assistance. The parish councillors unanimously gave credit to Giles and Keith for taking the village residents' concerns on board and asked that they be kept informed of major developments. Giles then left the meeting.

7. CLERK'S REPORT

7.1 New litter bin for Gun Lane. The clerk reported that the bin has now been ordered and will chase for delivery. When installed the bin will have a sticker to indicate that dog waste can also be deposited inside. ACTION: Clerk

7.2 Stonepits Copse maintenance update. Jason Down from Oakland Tree Services has provided a report that the mulching, strimming, weeding, tie removal and dead tree removal has now taken place following the council's approval by email after the July meeting to spend £950 on this work.

7.3 MKC Devolved Landscape Maintenance service. The parish council was again asked to consider taking on the village landscape maintenance and maps were provided to show the area currently covered by MKC for a total cost of £3800. After consideration it was agreed to leave the service provided with the local authority. ACTION: Clerk

8. FINANCE

8.1 Bank Account balance at 3rd September June 2013 £16620.32

8.2 Cheques for payment were as follows:

03/09/2013Oakland Tree Services Ltd Stonepits Copse maintenance £1,140.00 102126
03/09/2013Sports Ground Services Mowing Rec Field £414.00102127
03/09/2013SCAN magazine Advert pavilion £135.00 102128
03/09/2013Sherington Village Hall Hall hire £24.00 102129
03/09/2013A H Contracts Dog Bins £273.00 102130
03/09/2013VOID VOID £- 102131
03/09/2013Wendy Austyn Clerk's salary £313.88 102132
03/09/2013Nina Beal Pavilion cleaner £77.00 102133
03/09/2013Martin Jeeves Perry Lane caretaker/bookings £200.00102134
03/09/2013MK Play Association Play Ranger Sessions £840.00 102135
03/09/2013Oakland Tree Services Ltd Tree Maintenance £318.00 102136
03/09/2013Mazars LLP Audit Fee £120.00 102137

8.3. Approval of 1% increase to Clerk's salary. The NALC has recommended a 1% increase to all clerk salaries to be backdated to April 2013, this was approved.

8.4. Approval of additional cost for complete removal of tree stump. The horse chestnut in the pre-school play area has now been completely removed. The additional cost of £65 to remove the stump was approved and the pre-school will be contributing half towards the extra expenditure.

8.5. Completion of external audit. Mazars LLP has satisfactorily completed its external audit of the 2012/13 Annual Return; this is now available for inspection.

8.6. Additional payment to Eon. During the holidays an additional payment of £499.58 was sent for pavilion electricity, this now brings the account up to date.

9. PLANNING APPLICATIONS AND DECISIONS

9.1. 13/01323/FUL Shoulder of Mutton Field, Gun Lane - Two storey rear extension and detached garage. There were no adverse comments. ACTION: Clerk

9.2. Reserved Matters Applications. The clerk reported that she had sought clarification from MKC Planning on this type of application. She explained that an Outline (OUT) application establishes the principle of a development and will contain an indicative plan that allows for a certain amount of flexibility. A Reserved Matters (REM) application then contains the details of the application such as parking, landscaping, materials etc and negates the need for a Full (FUL) application. The two go together and are the equivalent of a single Full application.

9.3. Decisions. The applications for 2 Hillview and 55 High St were permitted; the application for 20 School Lane was refused. The applications for 55 High St and 20 School Lane were decided before a response from the parish council had been given due to the holidays.

10. SHERINGTON RECREATION GROUND

10.1. Pavilion management group. Cllr Ager reported that the management group are due to carry out an internal and external audit of the pavilion. It was agreed to invite the chairman Jeff Charles to the next parish council meeting to report the findings. It was also agreed to circulate the document containing the management group's terms of reference. The group next meets on Thursday 12th September at 8pm. ACTION: Clerk

10.2. Proposals for improvements to lighting and pavilion exterior. Cllr Denman reported that works to paving, drainage and lighting would cost in the region of £3000. The clerk requested that a specification be drawn up and three quotes obtained, Cllr Denman will arrange this. ACTION: Cllr Denman

10.3. Proposals for improvements to pavilion heating. Cllr Denman confirmed he would be disconnecting the down flow heaters in the pavilion to prevent their use; and liaising with the caretaker on how to make proper use of the night storage heaters. ACTION: Cllr Denman

10.4. Management committee vacancy for parish council representative. Cllr Hyde agreed to be the third pc representative.

11. EXTERNAL MEETINGS

11.1. NECAF Wednesday 18th September 2013 7.30pm at The Olney Centre

12. CORRESPONDENCE/NEW CONSULTATIONS

12.1. Request for donation to MK Community Mediation Service. Following a request it was agreed to donate £100 to this local service. Councillors commented that there must be many other local organisations also worthy of a donation, to which the clerk responded that very few requests are ever received. Councillors recalled correspondence from a local First Paramedic Response service and it was agreed to re-circulate this for consideration. ACTION: Clerk

13.PUBLIC COMMENTS

13.1 A resident asked about the expenditure versus income of the pavilion and recreation ground. It was agreed to circulate this in time for the next meeting. ACTION: Clerk

13.2 A resident enquired about the state of the ditches in the village; it was noted that the parish council doesn't have the expertise to deal with this issue that occurs all around the village and that MKC seem reluctant to offer assistance. It was agreed to focus on just one area for now - Alban Hill and really push MKC for help. ACTION: Clerk

14 COUNCILLORS ITEMS

14.1 Cllr Hyde reported that a telegraph pole fell over on Church Road over the summer; and whilst it was quickly replaced it would be worth asking BT to survey the other poles around the village.

14.2 Cllr Hyde reported that during the Councillors' Walkabout over the summer several potholes, missing kerb setts, overhanging vegetation issues etc were noticed. ACTION: Clerk

14.3 Cllr Collinge reported that he has downloaded several styles of map of the village which could prove useful for the parish council. Following the walkabout he has also sent some corrections to Ordnance Survey where their maps are inaccurate.

15. DATE OF NEXT MEETING The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 1st October 2013 at the Village Hall commencing at 7.30 pm. There being no further business the meeting ended at 9.17 pm

          Pages 1443 to 1445  

Previous Meeting - Back to PARISH COUNCIL MINUTES INDEX - Next Meeting

Home Page - About Us - Minutes - Newsletters - Our Needs - Membership - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 11 February 2018