Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Parish Council Minutes

September 2007

p>Minutes of the Meeting of Sherington Parish Council held on Tuesday 4th September 2007 in Sherington Village Hall commencing at 7.30pm.

PRESENT: Cllrs Peter Burton (Chair), Peter Cook, David Keene, David Wright and Ian Thomson

ALSO ATTENDING: Wendy Austyn (Clerk) and 7 public.

Before the official meeting began Cllr Burton expressed the parish council’s condolences to Cllr David Hyde upon the recent death of his wife Barbara. He also extended best wishes for a full and speedy recovery to Bill Lewis who was taken ill recently.

1. TO APPOINT NEW CHAIRMAN AND VICE CHAIRMAN Cllr Burton as previous Vice Chairman expressed his willingness to take on the position of Chairman, and duly signed a Declaration of Acceptance of Office. No offers to be Vice Chairman have been received, the Clerk suggested that all the councillors think about this.



4. MINUTES OF LAST MEETING The minutes of the meeting held on 3rd July 2007 were agreed as a true record and signed by the Chairman..

5. VACANCY FOR COUNCILLOR Following his recent illness the Chairman Bill Lewis has regretfully decided to stand down from the council. Electors of the parish have until Tuesday 25th September to call a by-election, at which point the council is free to co-opt if at least 2 candidates have not come forward. The clerk suggested that assuming there is no by-election; the council takes its time to consider the right candidate.

6. CYCLE PATH Cycling Officer Ceri Griffin has reported that the cycle route from Alban Hill into Sherington is going to be on the road as planned, and a start date is awaited. Works on the route from Sherington to Newport Pagnell have yet to be carried out, at which point Ceri would like councillors to walk the route with him. Newport Pagnell Town Council is apparently not aware of any cycle path developments along this road. ACTION: Clerk to chase progress

7. ANGLIAN WATER AW has responded to another letter from the council, repeating that it does not have responsibility for ditches and therefore has no powers to clear them. Upon request the archives of AW are being searched for documents relating to the laying of the surface water sewer. Chris Hughes from MKC Environmental Engineering reports that Mark Bennett MKC has regular meetings with AW and will speak to him about this. Cllr Burton suggested inviting the chairman of AW to visit Sherington personally to try and resolve this issue. ACTION: Clerk and Cllr Burton

8. SID SURVEY RESULTS Two sets of data were reviewed, on the High St for traffic going North and on Crofts End for traffic going East. Neither report revealed any concerns. The clerk continues to ask for a SID to be placed on the North end of the High St for traffic going South which is believed to be more of a problem area. ACTION: Clerk to chase


9.1. Path to Newport Pagnell. The MKC Landscaping team attempted to clear the path but it has now been passed to Highways for mechanical clearance over the next few weeks. Once this is done the footpath can be assessed for suitability for the cycle path. ACTION: Clerk to chase

9.2. Perry Lane bin. The Perry Lane caretaker would prefer to keep the extra bin in the car park so a new bin for Perry Lane must be purchased. The council approved expenditure of £137 for a 90 litre freestanding bin. ACTION: Clerk


The remaining light has been installed in Park Road, and there are just two lights left to be connected along with several power connections. McAlpine has to go offsite whilst applying for a new time slot to finish off. ACTION: Clerk to chase progress


11.1 New bus shelter on School Lane. Cllrs met with David Lawson and agreed the exact position of the proposed shelter, along with a level kerb for disabled access which MKC may have funding for. It was agreed to carry out public consultation in January and February. The clerk will obtain design specifications and confirmation of funding. ACTION: Clerk.


12.1 Caretaker's report. This has not been received for July or August. It was suggested at the caretaker’s review that minor works and repairs can be arranged and carried out locally; Danny Coles has agreed to help when required. A revised scope of responsibilities is to be agreed including closing gates earlier and litter collection. A “No Ball Games” sign has been erected in the car park. ACTION: Clerk and Cllr Cook.

12.2 Car park and recreation field maintenance. Remedial work to the car park and recreation ground continues, ongoing work will be assessed and costs agreed after completion. The pavilion exterior decoration is complete. ACTION: Cllr Burton

12.3 Goal mouth turfing and watering. Cllr Wright reported that the turfing has bedded down well, and thanks to July and August’s inclement weather MKC carried out far less watering than what was originally thought necessary. Sherington Football Club has been allowed to play on the pitch earlier than originally planned but it would appear that no lasting damage has been sustained.

12.4Line marking machine. SFC has asked the parish council to purchase a new spray marking machine at a cost of £485. Cllr Thomson will look into the cost. ACTION: Cllr Thomson

12.5 Youth play equipment. Following youths’ request for dirt jumps on the field, cllrs attended a meeting with Phillip Snell from MKC who gave advice and ideas on improving the current facilities including extending the BMX track and providing a children’s goal wall. The large stones have been removed from the BMX track and a drawing is awaited from the boys involved.ACTION: Cllrs Keene and Burton

12.6 Pavilion refurbishment project. Richard Townend from MKC is meeting with Cllr Burton to discuss possible sources of funding. ACTION: Cllr Burton.

12.7 Play area The bolts on the slide need tightening, and the steps need re-staining. The lower tree branches need removing, it was agreed to wait until November before arranging this. ACTION: Clerk

13. VILLAGE APPRAISAL It was agreed that a separate meeting was required to discuss the way forward on the village appraisal document, which the council should be focussing on regularly. Cllr Wright will take ownership of updating it once revisions have been agreed. ACTION: Clerk and Cllr Wright


14.1 Monthly balances. Enterprise Account £23321.25; Treasurer Account £4715.78.

14.2 Cheques for payment were as follows:

04/09/2007Wendy Austyn Clerk's salary £354.93 101474
04/09/2007Wendy Austyn Clerk's expenses £13.79 101475
04/09/2007D C Blunt Mowing £969.38 101476
04/09/2007David Haycock Pavilion exterior decoration £485.00 101477
04/09/2007A H Contracts Dog bins £153.18 101478
04/09/2007UHY Hacker Young LLP External audit fee £158.63 101479
04/09/2007Milton Keynes Council Perry Lane goal mouth returfing £329.59 101480
04/09/2007Sports Ground Services Mowing £405.38 101481
04/09/2007Milton Keynes Council Goal mouth turf watering £387.75 101482
04/09/2007Sherington Village Hall Hall hire £33.00 101483
04/09/2007Powergen Pavilion electricity £44.33 101484
04/09/2007Aylesbury Mains Ltd Street Light Crofts End £220.90 101485
04/09/2007Shane Lea Perry Lane Caretaker £50.00 101486
04/09/2007Shane Lea Perry Lane Caretaker £50.00 101487
04/09/2007Nina Beal Pavilion cleaner £105.00 101488

14.3 Annual Return. The audit of the annual return is complete and is now available for inspection.

14.4 Signatories. It was agreed to add Cllrs Wright and Thomson to the bank mandate. ACTION: Clerk.


15.1. 07/01245/LBC and 07/01246/FUL Harriets End 16 High St
These applications have been withdrawn.

15.2. Recent planning decisions
Application 07/00821/FUL 1A High St for a greenhouse has been granted; Sherington Shooting Ground has been issued with a Certificate of Existing Lawful Use or Development 06/00644/CLUE regarding flying of model aeroplanes. Cllr Keene also reported that the Government Inspector’s new report has been published in response to the suggestion of housing development east of the M1.


16.1. Parishes Assembly Wednesday 13th September No one was available to attend.

16.2. MKNECAF Wednesday 26th September Lavendon Village Hall 7.30pm Cllrs Keene and Burton will attend. ACTION: Cllrs Burton and Keene


There was none.


18.1.Confusion remains over the issue of passing bays in Water Lane that should accompany the development at End Farm. MKC has been notified that none of the bays have been built and yet the new properties are occupied which is an apparent breach of planning consent. The question of the proposed third bay in the built up area of Water Lane has still not been resolved and the parish council agreed to write to MKC Planning for answers. ACTION: Clerk

18.2. The owner of Sherington Shooting Ground pointed out that the certificate awarded to him was a confusing document and placed no restrictions on model aeroplane flying during the hours outside of those stated on the CLUE document.

18.3. A resident commented that it was sometimes difficult to hear what the parish councillors were saying.

18.4. A resident enquired as to the outcome of the wind farm application, it was confirmed that a decision is still pending.

18.5. A resident requested that a SID be located in Gun Lane in the near future. ACTION: Clerk

18.6. The path opposite Manor Farm is now in a serious condition with overgrown hedges, nettles and a disappearing path. The work being carried out by BT in the area is not helping and it was agreed to contact Nick Brown from Planning Enforcement to assess the situation and take action if necessary. ACTION: Clerk


There were none.

20. DATE OF NEXT MEETING The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 2nd October 2007 at the Village Hall commencing at 7.30pm. There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.20 pm

          Pages 1239 to 1242  

Previous Meeting - Back to PARISH COUNCIL MINUTES INDEX - Next Meeting

Home Page - About Us - Minutes - Newsletters - Our Needs - Membership - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 11 February 2018