In 1872, a record of the public houses and beer houses in Buckinghamshire was compiled, as a result of the 1872 Licensing Act. In addition to the licensees and signs, the names and addresses of the owners were also recorded.
Sherington is recorded as having a population of 718 in the 1871 Census, with 184 inhabited houses. The acreage of the parish is 1780 acres.
There were three Public Houses: Swan, White Hart and Crown and Castle, all of which had been licensed for more than 50 years. There was one Beer House licensed to consume on the premises: Royal Oak, which was first licensed in 1861. There were no Convictions recorded for the years 1870, 1871 and 1872.
|162||Swan||Robert Alger||Rogers and Co., Newport Pagnell|
|163||White Hart||Thomas Payne||Frederick J. Field, Olney|
|164||Crown and Castle||William White||William Hipwell, Olney|
|165||Royal Oak||Henry Hill||Frederick J. Field, Sherington|