Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Village Tour - 2

Click here to go to 1 - The Knoll

Church Road

Click here to go to 3 - Church End

Church Road Council Houses

The council properties to the north side of Church Road were built by the Newport Pagnell Borough Council to house farm workers in the late 1930's. These are referred to in the school evacuee records as ‘The Council Houses’. A number of these properties are now privately owned.

Wayside Cottage is one of the older properties in Church Road, situated on the south side of the road.

Wayside Cottage
Honeymoon Cottage

Honeymoon Cottage now just presents a blank brick wall to the road. Traditionally this was a temporary accommodation for visitors and newly married couples, in the garden of No. 6 Church Road.

Arbour House, 8 Church Road, is a Grade 2 Listed Building.

Arbour House, 8 Church Road, is a Grade 2 Listed Building
Sherington Village Hall - click for further information

Sherington Village Hall was built in 1927 this has been a popular centre of village activity ever since. It has undergone several major extensions since then, and is now a first class venue for all types of activities, both within the village and for outside users. Click on the link to find out more about the Village Hall.

Griggs Orchard (and farm) is a conversion of barns circa 1990, plus a development of four more modern bungalows, on what was the Griggs farmyard. This came into private hands on the break-up of the Tyringham estates in 1917.

Entrance to Griggs Orchard

Archive photographs of Church Road: click on the photo to view full size.

Top end of Church Road looking east, circa 1960's  View of the South side properties from the back. c1930's  View of Church Road and Carters Close (field) from the top of the Church tower c1970's  Church Road c1960's  View of the North side houses from the rear.

Click here to go to 1 - The Knoll
Go to the Start of the Tour
Click here to go to 3 - Church End
Home Page - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 29 December 2011