Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Village Tour - 6

Click here to go to 5 - Park Road

School Lane

Click here to go to 7 - Hillview and Perry Lane


In the past School Lane has been known as Parsons Lane as the Rectory has always been located on this road.

No.2 School Lane

No. 2 School Lane is included in the corner property stretching down from Griggs Orchard up Church Road to School Lane. This is now of course been separated into a number of properties. The whole of the corner site was known as Griggs Farm and was built before 1796. During the Second World War (1939 - 1945) it was home to numerous evacuee families.

The Old School House was built in 1872. See the Stone Plaque on the side wall of the garden.

The school educated all of the village's children until the 1940's when it became a primary school and the senior children went to the local authority school in Newport Pagnell, as they do today.

The Old School House

When the school moved to its new premises the property was not always a private residence, as it has been a shop, shown in the archive photo below.

The current school, which is located next door to the old school, was built in the 1950's and still runs two primary classes.

For more information on the school please click on the following link: The Village School

The Old Rectory

The Old Rectory was built in 1607 by John Martin and was the home to the village rector or parson until it was sold by the church commissioners in 1953 and a new Rectory was built on the opposite side of the road. The original entrance to the Rectory was via a longer drive that exited into Crofts End. This is now the entrance to Greystones, built behind The Laurels.

The New Rectory was built in the early 1950's and is now the home of the current Rector to the SCAN Parish. This rural parish covers the villages of Sherington, North Crawley, Astwood, Hardmead and Chicheley.

The New Rectory

Archive photographs of School Lane: click on the photo to view full size

Old School after conversion to a shop Spar shop Old Rectory Old Rectory Group outside the Rectory Old Rectory - 1960s

Old Rectory Postcard School Lane in 1960s School Lane in 1950s School Lane from the Church Tower


Click here to go to 5 - Park Road
Go to the Start of the Tour
Click here to go to 7 - Hillview and Perry Lane
Home Page - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 29 December 2011