Crofts End is one of the older roads in the village and runs from the junction with Bedford Road next to The Manor and Perry Lane all the way down to the junction with the Newport Pagnell road and the High Street. It also has had different names in the past as it has been called Caves End as well as Calves End. Before the Perry Lane development, Crofts End continued up to Gowles Farm.
The bungalows on the high corner on the junction of School Lane, are on the site of Parsons Orchard, part of the Old Rectory estate. The field opposite (to the south) is called Bancroft, not to be confused with Bancroft Manor a previous name for the Old Rectory. The Bancroft field contains an ancient tumulus burial mound on the north east corner. Little is known about this burial mound. If you have any information about it we would love to hear from you.
The picture on the left shows School Passage, a cut through from School Lane, for pupils attending the village school, this runs down the side of the long front drive of Greystones (just visible to the left in the photograph). The drive which is the current entrance to Greystones was the original entrance to the Old Rectory.
Nos. 22 and 24 Crofts End are Grade 2 Listed Buildings.
Nos. 18 and 20 Crofts End are two Victorian red brick cottages with the pump on the yard wall. Like the pump on the Knoll this pump was used until recent times. In one of these houses lived the local Policeman, of which PC. Knibbs (who had the nickname of Knibbo) was the most remembered.
They were built in 1898 as Springwell Villas.
The entrance to No.23 or The Laurels (sometimes known as the Old House) faces Knibbo's House. A well or spring with an arch over the top was discovered during maintenance building work to the front wall in 1999.
Chapel House is a Victorian building situated next to the Chapel.
"Sherrington Chapel" is a red brick Congregational Chapel and was a place of worship until the late 1980's. The Congregationalist joined together with the Presbyterians and became the United Reform Church (URC). This property stood empty for some time but has now been deconsecrated and has been converted into five small flats.
Mercers Farm is one of the oldest buildings in the village. On the enclosure map of 1796 Mercers Farm was owned by the Mercers Company. From the Mercers Company the farm was sold to the Jefferson family and Jack Cook purchased it from the Jefferson's. The farm is still owned and is being run by the Cook family.
There was an old thatched stone Cow House next to farmhouse, but it was demolished in 2002.
Archive photographs of Crofts End and Bancroft Field: click on the photo to view full size