Image of Sponne Coat of Arms
St Lawrence Church, Towcester


Home Page
Online Tour
Roman Period
Saxon Period
Medieval
Tudor Period
To the Present Day
Timeline
List of Clergy
Benefaction Boards
Monumental Inscriptions
Pew allocation
Brasses
Glossary
Bells
Drawings by T.Trotter
Notes by Sir Stephen Glynne
References
Credits
Site Map


An illustrated history of St Lawrence Church, Towcester, Northamptonshire
Image of St Lawrence Church, Towcester
The large ironstone parish church of St Lawrence is situated in Chantry Lane, in the centre of this historic market town and within the Diocese of Peterborough.

The oldest portion of the existing church is in the style of 'Early English' architecture, about 1200. The eastern part of the chancel, with the crypt, is in the 'decorated' style. Building of the tower and aisles was started in the reign of Edward IV (1461 - 1483), and completed in the reign of Richard III.

For further information click on thumbnails and links

For the current website of St Lawrence Church, click here

Location map - A red circle indicates the location of the church today