Towcester Town in Drawings
The Post Office has presented a virtually unchanged face to the Market Square since it was built in 1799. Of red and blue brick, tastefully balanced by grey stone quoins, string courses and window frames, it is one of the town's most handsome buildings. In its earlier days it was the residence of the master of the Grafton Hunt.
The Chantry House stands by the Town Hall facing the Market Square. Founded in 1447 by Archdeacon Sponne, the vicar of St. Lawrence, it was built to house a priest to say Mass for the Archdeacon's soul. In 1552 it was merged with the Sponne Grammar School. Although mainly rebuilt in 1867, the garden wall and gateway and some of the masonry, particularly the chimney, are of the original 15th Century building.
Here and there fragments of the external appearance 15th and 16th Century timber framed houses can still be seen along Watling Street in the old market area of Towcester.
This illustration depicts how the Elizabethan house opposite the Post Oftice looked until comparatively recently. Original timber framing can still be seen in the rooms and bars of "The Brave Old Oak" and "Pickwick Restaurant".
Click on the images to enlarge.
Text ©1986,2003 Towcester History Society
Drawings ©1986 Robert Sunderland