< previous  
Historic Towcester - The Studio
Studio PlaqueStudio Plaque
The Studio, Park Street, 1911The Studio, Park Street, 1911
The Studio, Park Street, 2002The Studio, Park Street, 2002
In 1903 some private houses on the corner of Brackley Road and Park Street were demolished and a handsome stone building, with brick dressings and a slate roof, was built as a Young Men's Evening Institute by Miss Charlotte and Miss Ada Phipps, members of the local brewery family, who lived nearby at Yealm House, 9 Brackley Road.

The so-named Studio was built for the benefit of the young men of Towcester, with classes held in Bible Reading, Play Acting, Lino Cutting, Wood Carving, Sports etc. Many young men took part in the Studio activities, which boasted at least one football team. There was a stone tablet outside the building with the inscription


In 1910 some members asked Miss Charlotte Phipps to form a brass band. The two sisters bought instruments and equipment, and by October of that year the Towcester Studio Band was formed, which continues to thrive to this day.

In 1932 the building was sold to the Manchester Union of Oddfellows, who put up the datestone


It subsequently became the local Labour Exchange, and in 2002 the building was used for a mobile telephone business. In 2010 it is used by “Working Bodies Performance and Remedial Centre”.

Keith McLean, February 2002.
Note added in 2010.

The Studio closed in 1919 but the band continued. During the 1939-45 War the instruments were loaned to RAF Silverstone for use by the Station Band. The Towcester Studio Band celebrated its Centenary Year in 2010.
  1. "Towcester - The Story of an English Country Town" published by the Towcester and District Local History Society 1995 (ISBN 0 9524619 1 9).
  2. Information from Tom Knowlton.
  3. Google "Towcester Studio Band".
 < previous