On 14th September 1911 the Mill was completely gutted by a fire, which started in the steam engine room, which is at the left hand side of the building in the top photograph.
Note the historic fire pump among the crowd of people on the bank of the mill leat, with a pipe drawing water from the leat. Note also the shallow arch under the building centre right, which was the location of the former overshot water wheel.
The lower photograph shows the front of the building, with firemen up a ladder. The stonework around this part of the building is still coloured red, due to the intensity of the fire.