|As an aid to genealogical research, The Two Villages Archive Trust of Milton Keynes and Broughton are pleased to make available the results of a survey of 1913 which recorded the inscriptions on monuments in the Broughton St Lawrence church and churchyard.
A considerable effort went into deciphering inscriptions that had been eroded through time, the elements and even - at times - enthusiastic wire brushing! Not all inscriptions remain, but anything which could be deciphered was recorded, even where names, dates, etc were incomplete.
Like most churchyards, changes take place as old stones fall, are broken, become eroded, or are cleared to assist maintenance of the area. Some of the inscriptions which were recorded in 1913 may no longer be legible or even in existence.
The location of memorials within the church (including 3 window inscriptions) and churchyard are included along with chuch and churchyard plans to indicate their location.
Please note that a number of 'foot' stones that do not have their main grave sites identified are leaning against the south wall. These are identified by the notation 'wall' in the 'area' column.