back of house

The appearance of the back of the house is somewhat different to the front. It was built c.  1750 and upgraded slightly in the 1850 restoration. It was used as servant's quarters, larders, stores etc., (see plan of house) the red brick wall on the left is a later addition for storing coke for the boilers and gardening machinery etc. (This area has now been rebuilt to accommodate the new nursery school building.) Photo 1991