The Armorial Hall (37)

The Armorial Hall

ceiling rose

Ceiling rose in the middle of the ceiling from which used to hang a large chandelier (see left). It is a pity this is now lost.

c. 1920. Notice the chandelier (lost) and the frieze of armorial shields on the cornices round three walls. The tiger skin indicates that the picture dates from before the purchase of the house by the Order of Jesus and Mary.

The stairs and armorial window.

The stairs and armorial window. Notice the bronze electric lamps on the bannisters. There are large mirrors with gilded frames each side of the armorial window. The wall to the left of the window dates from 1750 and all the area on the right is 1850. This hall was specifically designed then to show the new window at its best and an outside quadrangle was incorporated for light.