WelocmeHouse HistoriesFrom Chimney Pots to Boot ScrapersCharacter Study

Power and Utilities

As a railway works, Wolverton used steam power to run the machines within the Works although no remains have yet been found. It later used gas, being made at the Works and also being piped out to the town. The remains of a gas tower can be seen beside the viaduct at the Park Lodge house end of the Park. In 1900, the first power station was built and the Works notably became the first all electric railway works in the country.

This water tower formerly in Osborne Street was one of three in Wolverton.
This water tower formerly in Osborne Street was one of three in Wolverton.
The town water tower at the junction of Green Lane and Western Road was built in 1887 of blue and red brick, and is the last remaining example of three built by the LNWR to provide the town with a clean alternative to the canal water supply. It was used until 1948 when Wolverton became part of the local mains supply.


By Geoffrey Ealden, Anna McEvoy, Julia Newman, Andra Roach, Peter Smith