|Kellys Directory of 1847
WAVENDON, with the Hamlet of HOGSTY END or WOBURN SANDS.
WAVENDON is a parish and village, distance from Newport Pagnell 5 miles, and from London 45 miles, in the Hundreds of Newport Pagnell, and the diocese of Oxford, on the river Ouse. The living is a rectory, value £800, in the gift of Charles Henry Hoare, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. James, with a tower. There are also a small Methodists' and a Quakers' meeting, a Charity school, supported by a farm, left by Geo. Wells, for educating, clothing, and apprenticing 10 boys. The chief residence is Wavendon hall. The population, in 1841, was 846. The parish contains 2,600 acres. William Denison, Esq., is lord of the manor.
Railways - Bedford & Bletchley
Post Office - Samuel King, postmaster. Letters are received through the post office, Newport Pagnell, arrive 9 morn.; dispatched half past 5 evening.
Mr. George Frederick Brunton, esq.
John Bailey, farmer
Hogsty End or Woburn Sands
William Henry Denison, esq. Fenton House
Letters are received through the Newport Pagnell office at 9 morn; dispatched half past 5 evening.