Slaters Directory of Woburn 1852

"Woburn, with the Villages of Aspley Guise, Husborn Crawley, Milton Bryant, Ridgmont and Neighbourhoods"

Woburn is a parish in the hundred of Manshead - the market town, handsome and respectable, is 42 miles NW by N from London, 14 SW by S from Bedford, 6 N from Leighton Buzzard, and 24 SE from Northampton; situated near the Bedford and Bletchley branch of the London and North western Railway.  This place, spelled by Leland, in his Itinerary, Owburn, was, in the year 1724, nearly destroyed by fire; but this circumstance, though distressing to individuals ultimately proved generally beneficial, as the houses wеrе soon after rebuilt in a more regular and tasteful style. The market house, which stands in the centre of the town, was much improved by Francis Duke of Bedford. The head of the house of Russell is lord of the manor, and as such holds courts annually, or oftener as occasion may require; and the magistrates assemble here every fortnight, in petty session, upon business connected with the hundred. The manufactures of Woburn are lace and straw plait; an extensive trade is also carried on in corn and timber; there are besides several maltings and in the immediate neighbourhood are consider able pits of that useful article, fullers' earth.

The parish church of Saint Mary is a neat, convenient and handsome structure, while its ivy-clothed walls present a venerable appearance: the tower, which formerly stood detached from the main building, is now united to it, and the Duke of Bedford has surmounted it with a beautiful spire, and furnished the altar with a fine painting of the nativity: the living is a perpetual curacy, the Duke being patron and impropriator. The church contains a curious monument to the Stanton family, consisting of twelve figures in the attitude of prayer, besides several other ancient sepulchral memorials. The other establishments of religious worship, instruction and benevolence, are chapels for lndependents, Baptists and Wesleyan Methodists, a British school and twelve almshouses for poor persons; these charitable institutions are mainly supported by the munificence of the munificence before mentioned.

The chief object of attraction, in the vicinity of the town, is Woburn Abbey and Park, the superb seat of the noble family of Russell: it occupies the site of a Cistercian Abbey, founded in 1145 by Hugh de Bolbeck, the revenue of which, at the dissolution, was valued at upwards of £400.; the site, with a great portion of the lands, was granted by Edward VI, in 1574, to Lord John Russell. The park comes close to the town, and being generously open to the public, affords to the inhabitants delightful walks, amidst scenery remarkably beautiful and diversified. Woburn House was almost wholly rebuilt by Flitcroft, for John Duke of Bedford, about the middle of the last century. This extensive and magnificent building, situate in the midst of a fine park, occupies four sides of a quadrangle: the west front is of the Ionic order, with an insulated basement; the principal floor, or suite of rooms on this side, consists of a saloon, state bed room, and drawing and dining moms; the south comprises the library, breakfast and Duke's rooms; the east, the vestibule, servants' offices. &c.; the north includes the Queen's, Prince Albert 's rooms, and various other chambers. The gallery exhibits a large and most interesting collection of portraits, whilst numerous other valuable paintings are dispersed in other rooms. In the sculpture gallery is the beautiful antique vase brought to this country by Lord Cawdor; and an ancient sarcophagus of marble, conveyed hither from Ephesus; the group of the grace, by Canova, &c. This mansion has received many improvements and undergone considerable alterations, particularly under Francis Duke of Bedford ; the additional buildings were designed and executed by Mr. Holland. The park is about twelve miles in circumference, surrounded by a wall; it comprises a pleasing variety of hill and dale, and is enriched with peculiarly fine woods of majestic oaks. Winding through the woods the visitor arrives at ‘the Duchess' Shrubbery,' beautifully laid out in the modern taste; leaving which, and riding over the hill, which commands an enchanting and comprehensive prospect, he comes to the evergreen plantation, of about two hundred acres - a charming ride on a fine dry soil, through avenues of all varieties of evergreens, of luxuriant growth so that the equestrian is sheltered, in the depth of winter, by a continuous canopy of verdure.

Queen Elizabeth made a journey to this seat in 1572; and when Charles I visited Woburn in 1645, he reposed at the Abbey. The public day for viewing the Abbey is Friday, from eleven till four, between Lady-day and Michaelmas, and from eleven till three between Michaelmas and Lady-day. The market day at Woburn is Friday. Fairs, January 1st, March 23rd  July 13th and September 25th. The parish of Woburn contained, in 1831,1827 inhabitants, and in 1841, 1914.

Aspley Guise is a parish, in the same hundred as Woburn - the village is pleasantly situated two miles north of that town. Anselm de Guise, in 1267, obtained a charter for a market to be held here on Friday, and a fair at the tide of St. Botolph - both of which hare been discontinued. The parish church of Saint Botolph contains several monuments of antiquity and interest: the living is a rectory, in the gift of the Duke of Bedford. The parish contains 1139 inhabitants.

Husborn Crawley, an adjoining parish to Aspley Guise, contains a village about two and a half miles NE from Woburn . The church of Saint Mary Magdalene occupies an elevated site, and has a lofty tower.  A handsome canopied monument, with the figures of an armed knight and his lady, is in the church: the living is a discharged vicarage, in the presentation of the Duke of Bedford. Population of the parish 656.

Milton Bryant is a small village, about two miles SE from Woburn , situated a little to the north of the road to London . The church is dedicated to Saint Peter: the living is a rectory, in the gift of the Crown. Population, 382.

Ridgmont village and parish is in the hundred of Redbornstoke - the village is about three miles NE from Woburn . In old records it is written Rugemont  i.e. the 'Red Hill,' applicable to its situation and the colour of the soil. The church of All Saints has, within these few years, received addition of sittings, at the expense of the society for building and enlarging churches and chapels: the living is a discharged vicarage, united with Segenhoe. There is a place of worship here for Baptists and a National school. The parish contained, in 1841, 964 inhabitants.

POST OFFICE, Bedford Street, Woburn, John Charles Peeling, Post Master. - Letters from London, and various places South, also from Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, and the North of England, and from Scotland and Ireland, arrive every morning at six, and afternoon at two, and are despatched at a quarter before ten in the morning, and eight in the evening. Letters from Bedford , Ampthill, Huntingdon, Saint Neots, &c, arrive every morning at eight, and are despatched at six in the morning.

NOBILITY, GENTRY AND CLERGY.
Rev. James Andrews, Leighton Street
Edward Ashwell, Esq. Eversholt
His Grace The Duke of Bedford, Woburn Abbey
Rev. George William Bentinck, Ridgmont
Mrs. Mary Ann Bird, Aspley Guise
Rev. Edward Bond, High Street
Rev. Joseph Brooks, Ridgmont
Henry Buckle Esq., Drakeloe Lodge
Mr. George Castleden, George Street
Mrs. Octavia Cautley, George Street
Mr. George Davy, George Street
William Henry Denison Esq., Fenton House, Woburn Lane
Rev. Henry Macdonald Erskine, Bedford Street
Mrs. Mary Gardner, Market Place
Rev. Thomas Godwin, Leighton Street
Rev. Charles Hedges, Aspley Guise
William Fitzwilliam Howe Esq., Aspley Guise
Miss Mary Louis Inglis, Milton Bryant
Sir Robert Harry Inglis Bart, M.P. Milton House, Milton Bryant
William Francis Keer, Esq., Aspley Cottage
Rev. William Mansfield, Milton Bryant
Rev. Henry Matthew, Eversholt
Rev. John Vaux Moore, Aspley Guise
Robert Orlebar Esq. Husborn Crawley
Rev. Richard Pain, Aspley Guise
Mr. John Palmer, Husborn Crawley
Miss Jane Porter, George Street
John Robinson, Esq. Aspley Guise
Lord Charles Russell, George Street
Mrs. Elizabeth Skinner, Bedford Street
William Lyn Smart, Esq., Lyndon House, Eversholt
Colonel Charles Hervey Smith, Aspley House
Rev. Boteler Chernocke Smith, Aspley Guise
Mr. John Stannard, Froxfield
Mrs Elizabeth Tankersley, Eversholt
Miss Susannah Weidale, George Street
Mr. John White, Husborn Crawley
Mr. Benjamin B. Wiffen, Aspley Guise
Mrs. Mary Wiffen, Aspley Guise

ACADEMIES AND SCHOOLS.
British School , Leighton Street - Charles Millard, master
British School , Bedford Street - Mary Anne Smith, mistress
British School , Aspley Guise - John Wood, master
Juliet Daniel (boarding), Leighton Street
Free School, Milton Bryant - Martin Best, master; Susannah Price, mistress
Edward Henrie (boarding), Leighton Street
Infants' School, Bedford Street - Martha Stevens, mistress
Infants' School, Woburn Sands - Elizabeth Sharp, mistress
National School , Aspley Guise - Henry Bickerstaffe, master; Mary Ann Bickerstaffe, mistress
National School . Ridgmont - George Stinson. master
Anne Palmer (boarding), George Street

AGENTS, &c. To His Grace The Duke Of Bedford .
George Williams Baker (farm bailiff) Park farm
Thomas Bennett (land), Park farm
James Forbes (gardener), Froxfield
Charles Hacker (building), Park farm
John Patfreeman (house steward), Woburn Abbey
Richard Stephens (wood agent), Park farm

AGRICULTURAL IMPLEMENT MAKERS.
William Hensman & Son (and Engineers & ironfounders) Bedford Street

ATTORNEYS.
Charles Richard Day, High street
John Green (coroner), George Street

AUCTIONEERS.
Charles Thomas Devey, High Street
Frederick
Whitlock, Bedford Street

BAKERS.
John Beard, Bedford Street
James Berwick, Husborn Crawley
Thomas James Clarke, Husborn Crawley
Thomas Gosling, Ridgmont
George Hall, Market Place
Robert James Lilley (& confectioner), Bedford Street
James Roebuck, Back Lane
Kitty Smith, Aspley Guise

BERLIN WOOL REPOSITORIES
Maria Brittain, Bedford Street
John Pearson, George Street

BLACKSMITHS.
John Bird, Leighton Street
William Ellis, Aspley Guise
Ann Haynes, Bedford Street
Farnell Mardlin, Husborn Crawley
Joseph Mavett, Ridgmont
William Nottingham, Chapel Street
Edward Read, Aspley Guise

BOOKSELLERS & STATIONERS.
George Bowdler Clarke (& printer), Park Street
William Crofts, High Street
Dodd & Peeling (and publishers, printers & binders) Bedford Street

William Harland, Market Place

BOOT AND SHOE MAKERS.
William Francis, Ridgmont
Thomas Heighington, High Street
Frederick Jackson, Aspley Guise
Jesse Lewis, Bedford Street
Thomas Mallery, Ridgmont
William Roberts, High Street
Joseph Rush, George Street
Richard Waterman Woodin, Aspley Guise

BREWERS.
John Bennett, Aspley Guise
James Fowler, Leighton Street

BUTCHERS.
George Brown, Bedford Street
Thomas Doughty, Aspley Guise
George Thomas Edmunds, Chapel Street
John Kent, Ridgmont
George Negus, Husborn Crawley
William Randall, Husborn Crawley
John Steers, Bedford Street

CABINET MAKERS AND UPHOLSTERERS.
Charles Thomas Devey, High Street
John Robertson, Leighton Street
Joseph Yates, Bedford Street

CARPENTERS & JOINERS.
Thomas Bunker, High Street
William Handscombe, Aspley Guise
Frederick Jackson, Aspley Guise
Francis Snook, George Street

CHEMISTS & DRUGGISTS.
David Clarke (& manufacturer of the smut in wheat preventive), Park Street
Henry Down (& proprietor of the 'Farmer's Friend' for the prevention of smut in wheat), Market Place
William Edward Rogers Freeman, High Street
Thomas Heighington, High Street

CHINA & EARTHENWARE DEALERS.
Thomas Bunker, High Street
David Clarke, Park Street
Abraham Hobbs, Woburn Sands

COAL MERCHANTS.
William Attwood & Co, Woburn Sands
Clarke & Son, Woburn Sands
Thomas & John Green, Woburn Sands
Robent Collett Stratfold, Leighton Street and Woburn Station

CORN DEALERS.
John Evans, Bedford Street
George Rogers, Market Place

FARMERS.
Henry Thomas Atterbury, Speedwell farm
Samuel Bennett, Bickering's Park
Abraham Wing Crouch, Ridgmont Park
Edward Emmerton, Woburn Sands
George Gascoyne, Birchmore
John Goodman, Eversholt
Thomas Linnell, Grange Farm
William Peters, Husborn Crawley
Ambrose Platt, Bickerings Park
Kitty Turney, Husborn Crawley
Henry Readman, Leighton Road
John Readman, Ridgmont

FIRE, &c. OFFICE AGENTS.
Clerical & Medlock (life), Thomas Heighington, High Street
County (fire) & Provident (life) Dodd & Peeling, Bedford Street
Crown (life), William Crofts, High Street
Etonian (life), Josiah Clark, Bedford Street
Farmers, William Cole, Husborn Crawley
Imperial, Charles Thomas Devey, High Street
Law, John Green, George Street
Metropolitan Counties (life), John Pearson, George Street
Sun, John Green. George Street ; and David Clarke, Park Street

GROCERS & TEA DEALERS. (See also Shopkeepers, &c.)
Josiah Clark, Bedford Street
David Clarke, Park Street
Henry Down, Market Place
William Edward Rogers Freeman, High Street
Thomas Heighington (and hop merchant & tallow chandler), High Street
John Marshall, Aspley Guise
Alexander Page Twiney, Aspley Guise

INNS - COMMERCIAL. (See also Taverns & Public Houses.)
Bedford Arms (& posting), George Attwood, George Street
Magpie, John Hill, Bedford Street
Wheatsheaf, George Rogers, Market Place

LINEN & WOOLLEN DRAPERS
Bartholomew Best, High Street
John Ford, Ridgmont
John Marshall, Aspley Guise
William Perkins, Bedford Street
John Slinn, George Street

MALTSTERS.
James Fowler, Leighton Street
William Peters, Aspley Guise
George Rogers, Market Place

MILLINERS & DRESS MAKERS.
Maria & Ellen Brewer, High Street
Mary Handscomb. High Street
Eliza House, Park Street

PAINTERS AND PLUMBERS.
Thomas Chailes, Market Place
Peter Woods Millard, Park Street
Robert Nixon, Bedford Street

SADDLERS & HARNESS MAKERS.
Francis Carling, Bedford Street
Suzannah Odell, Market Place
John Samwell, Aspley Guise

SHOPKEEPERS DEALERS IN GROCERIES & SUNDRIES.
John Botsford, George Street
Thomas Burridge, Ridgmont
Joseph Cook, Aspley Grange
Tomas Francis, Ridgmont
William Francis, Ridgmont
George Goodman, Aspley Guise
Thomas Green, Potsgrove
William Green, Potsgrove
George Herbert, Husborn Crawley
Abraham Hobbs, Woburn Sands
Francis Keens, Husborn Crawley
George Negus, Husborn Crawley
Fanny Sparrey, Eversholt
William Tansley, Woburn Sands
James Wright, Milton Bryant

STRAW BONNET MAKERS.
Brewer Maria & Ellen, High Street
Elizabeth
Harland, Market Place
Emma Hensman, Bedford Street

SURGEONS.
William Billing, George Street
William Haines Green, George Street
Thomas Parker, Aspley Guise
Thomas Parker, Bedford Street
James Williams, Aspley Guise

TAILORS.
Bartholomew Best, High Street
John Dumpleton, George Street
Joseph Flude, Aspley Guise
John Ford, Ridgmont
John Harding, George Street
Cornelius Kinns, Bedford Street
Charles & George Whitman (and hatters), Aspley Guise

TAVERNS & PUBLIC HOUSES.
Bell, Mary Addison, Aspley Guise
Bell, Jesse Lewis, Bedford Street
Black Horse, John Reddall, Bedford Street
Bull, George Negus, Husborn Crawley
Deer, Isaac Pepper, Eversholt
Greyhound, Ann Burtt, Leighton Street
Old Fir Tree, Francis Lee, Woburn Sands
Red Lion, John Barber, Ridgmont
Red Lion, William Borrows, Milton Bryant
Richmond Arms, William Norris, Ridgmont Station

Rose & Crown, Francis Fox, Ridgmont
Rose & Crown, Charles Thurlow, Park Street
Royal Oak, William Bell, George Street
Shoulder of Mutton, Sarah Francis, Leighton Street

Sportsman, Richard Farmer, Eversholt
Swan, Edward Emmerton, Woburn Sands
Swan, Thomas Lewis. Aspley Guise
Weathercock. Robert Bailey, Woburn Sands
While Hart, Norman Francis, Ridgmont
White Horse, George Negus, Husborn Crawley
White Horse, Charlotte Sharp, Leighton Street
White Lion, John Evans, Bedford Street

Retailers of Beer.
James Brandon, Aspley Guise
Kitty Brittin, Aspley Guise
John Flecknoe, Chapel Street
Samuel Foxley, Newport Road
Elisabeth Gurney, Husborn Crawley
John Harding, George Street
Thomas Phillips, Potsgrove
Thomas Tame, Potsgrove
Richard Waterman Woodin, Aspley Guise

TEA DEALERS - TRAVELLING.
David Burgess (& draper), George Street
Joseph Cave
, Aspley Guise
James McKay (& draper), Park Street

WATCH & CLOCK MAKERS.
Ebenezer Handscomb, High Street
W.T. & R Reddall. (& gunsmiths), George Street and Froxfield

WHEELWRIGHTS.
John Bird, Leighton Street
Farnell Mardlin, Husborn Crawley
John Paine, Ridgmont

WINE & SPIRIT MERCHANTS
Thomas Heighington, High Street
John Hill, Bedford Street

Miscellaneous.
William Beaumont, station master, Ridgmont
William Birchnell, stone mason, Leighton Street
John Brewer, parish clerk, George Street
John Button, brasier & tinman, Bedford Street
Samuel Chibnall, plasterer, Aspley Guise
George Bowdler Clarke, animal and bird preserver, Park Street
John Clay, inland revenue officer, Husborn Crawley
Mary Clay, wax flower maker, Husborn Crawley
Thomas Emerson, rope maker, Aspley Guise
Henry Evans, hair dresser & toy dealer, Park Street
William Handscombe gardener, Aspley Guise
James Herbert, lace manufacturer, Aspley Guise
Inland Revenue Office, at the Bedford Arms - John Hields, supervisor
George Negus, grazier, Husborn Crawley
John Pearson, hair dresser, George Street
Police Station, Leighton Street - William R. Young, superintendent
Henry Pursell, fishmonger, Bedford Street
Savings Bank, Town ball -Thomas Stratton, actuary
Peter Smith, cooper, Bedford Street
Stamp Office, High street - William Crofts,  sub-distributor
Town Hall, William Hastwell, keeper
Fred Whitlock, timber merchant, Bedford Street
Edwin Williams, dentist, Aspley, nr. Woburn
Henry Thomas Wolte, ironmonger, George Street

PLACES OF WORSHIP AND THEIR MINISTERS.
Saint Mary's Church, Rev. Henry Erskine, perpetual curate
Saint Botolph’s church, Aspley Guise, Rev. John V. Moore, rector
Saint Mary Magdalen's Church, Husborn Crawley, Rev. James Smith, viсаг
Saint Peter's Church, Milton Bryant, Rev. William Mansfield, rector
All Saints* Church, Ridgmont, Rev. George W. Bentinck, vicar
Baptist Chapel, Leighton Street , Rev. Thomas Goodwin
Baptist Chapel, Ridgmont, Rev. Joseph Brooks
Independent Chapel, Chapel Street , Rev. James Andrews
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Chapel Street and Ridgmont

POOR LAW UNION .
Workhouse - Chapel street .
Master - Joseph Smith Cooke
Matron - Ann Cooke
Schoolmistress - Sarah Punchard
Chaplain - Rev. Henry Macdonald Erskine
Surgeon - William Billing

Clerk to the Board of Guardian - William Cole

REGISTRARS OF BIRTHS DEATHS & MARRIAGES.
Superintendent Registrar - William Cole
Registrar of Births and Deaths for Woburn District - John Dexter, and of Marriages - Robert Wright
Registrar of Births and Deaths for Toddington District - Henry Lee, and for Marriages - John Smith

CONVEYANCE BY RAILWAY ON THE BEDFORD AND BLETCHLEY BRANCH OF THE LONDON AT NORTH WESTERN RAILWAY.
Station - about two miles and a half from the town - Thomas Osman, station master
An Omnibus from the Bedford Arms to the station, awaits the arrival and attends the departure of the trains.

CARRIERS.
To LONDON , BIRMINGHAM , MANCHESTER , and all parts of the North of England, Chaplin & Horne (by Railway daily) Robert C. Stratford, agent & Henry Pursell from his house, Bedford Street , every Tuesday and Friday.
To DUNSTABLE, George Cooke, from The Black Horse, every Monday and Friday, and Henry Pursell, from his house, Bedford Street , every Tues. & Friday.
To LUTON , George Cooke, from the Black Horse, Monday and Friday.
To NEWPORT PAGNELL, Chaplin & Horne, from their office, Leighton Street , daily.
To NORTHAMPTON , George Cooke, from the Black Horse, Tuesday & Sat.
To OLNEY, Chaplin & Horne, from their office, Leighton Street , daily.