|Kellys Directory of 1854
Wavendon, with the Hamlet of Woburn Sands
WAVENDON is a parish and village, distant from Newport Pagnell 5 miles, and from London 45 miles, in the Hundreds of Newport Pagnell, on the river Ouse. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Oxford, value £800, in the gift of Frederick Woodbridge, Esq. The church has been entirely restored, under the superintendence of - Butterfield, Esq., the celebrated architect, of Adam Street, Adelphi, with new chancel, nave &c. The windows are chiefly of stained glass. It is now a very handsome structure, and is dedicated to St. James. There are also places of worship for the Methodists and Society of Friends; a Charity school, supported by a farm, left by George Wells, for educating, clothing, and apprenticing 10 boys. The chief residence is Wavendon Hall. The population, in 1851, was 935; the parish contains 2,600 acres. William Denison, Esq., is lord of the manor.
Post Office - Samuel King, postmaster. Letters are received through the post office, Newport Pagnell, arrive 9am; dispatched half past 5pm.Wavendon Gentry
George Frederick Brunton, esq.
Charles Abercrumbie, 'Leather Bottle'
William Henry Denison, esq.
Robert Bailey, Weathercock Inn