|Dutton, Allen & Co. Directory of 1863
Wavendon is a parish, comprising the hamlet of Woburn Sands, in the hundred and union of Newport Pagnell, 3½ miles N.E. from Fenny Stratford, and 5 from Newport Pagnell. The parish is watered by the river Ouse, and contained in 1861 a population of 879; area, 2665 acres. The church is a very handsome edifice, dedicated to St. James; it was restored some years ago, and chancel and nave added; the windows are mostly of stained glass. The living is a rectory, value £800; the Rev. Henry Burney, B.A., incumbent. The Wesleyans and Society of Friends have each a chapel here. There is a daily school, endowed in 1713 by Mr. George Wells, for the education, clothing, and apprenticing of 10 boys. Wm. Henry Denison, Esq., is lord of the manor. Wavendon Hall is the principle residence in the parish.
George Frederick Brunton, esq.
Rev. Henry Burney, B.A. (rector)
Henry Denison, esq., Wavendon villa
Rev. Charles Mayor, M.A., (curate)
Charles Abercrombie, Leather Bottle
James Anderson, farmer, Wavendon farm
George Bodsworth, harness maker
George Cardwell, farmer
George Chappell, farmer
Charles Claridge, Plough and baker
Daniel Eaton, shoemaker
William Facer, Wheat Sheaf
William Facer, grocer
Frederick Greenfield, schoolmaster, Wells’ Charity
Charles Goosey, farmer
James Harris, shoemaker
William Harris, farmer and butcher
Thomas Higgs, Red House
Frederick Hutton, bricklayer
John King, farmer and maltster
Thomas King, maltster
John Mabley, blacksmith
Thomas Pell, farmer
Alfred Smith, horse dealer
James Smith, horse dealer
Josiah Spreckley, butcher
William Sturges, farmer
George Tite, builder
Mrs. Tomlin, grocer and draper
George Yates, tailor
William Henry Denison, esq.
Robert Bailey, Weathercock Inn
Gregory Odell Clarke, coal merchant
Francis Lee, Fir Tree Inn
Jonathan Putnam, blacksmith
Mrs. Marian Sanders, coal merchant
William Tansley, shopkeeper
Post Office - Samuel King, postmaster. Letters through Newport Pagnell at 9a.m.; dispatched 5.30p.m.
Wavendon village centre and Church. Postcard by R. Cheetham.