1876 Harrods Directory
WOBURN SANDS is an ecclesiastical parish 2 miles from Woburn, and has a station on the London and North Western railway, in the hundred, union, and county court district of Newport Pagnell, diocese of Ely, archdeaconry of Bedford, and rural deanery of Fleete. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. The living is a vicarage, annual value £166 with residence, in the gift of the Duke of Bedford. The Rev. James Milne Hamilton is the vicar. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel. There is a National school; Miss Morgan, mistress. The chief land owners are the Duke of Bedford and C. Ridgway, Esq. The population is about 900. The nearest money order, telegraph office, and post town is Woburn.
Carrier to Newport, Tues. and Fri., Bedford, Sat., William Hull.
William Henry Denison, Esq.
Robert Bailey, "Weather Cock Inn"