To the WSC Homepage...
Kellys Directory of 1890


WOBURN SANDS is an ecclesiastical parish formed in 1867, comprising Aspley Heath and parts of the parish of Aspley Guise and Wavendon. The two former are in the Southern division of the county, petty, sessional division and union of Woburn, county court district of Leighton Buzzard, and county of Beds, and the latter (Wavendon) in the union of Newport Pagnell, and county of Bucks. The village has a station on the Bedford and Cambridge branch of the London and North Western railway, 12 miles south-west from Bedford and 4 miles east from Bletchley and 2½ northwest from Woburn: it is 44 miles from London by road and 50 by rail: it is in the rural deanery of Fleete, archdeanery of Bedford and diocese of Ely.

The church of St. Michael, at Aspley Heath, is a building of stone, in the French Gothic style, erected in 1868 from designs by Mr Henry Clutton, architect: it originally consisted of chancel, nave of five bays and a small circular western bell, turret: in 1889 it was enlarged from designs by Sir Arthur Blomfield ARA at a cost of £2,400; the chancel was extended eastward, and new north choir and north nave, transepts and vestries were added the organ was removed to an organ loft and enlarged by the addition of a new stop; and a new heating apparatus provided: it is proposed to add a transept on the south side of the chancel at some future time: there are sittings for 450 persons. The register dates from the year 1867. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £150 in the gift of the Duke of Bedford K. G. and held since 1884 by the Rev. Edward Henry Mosse M. A., of Christ's College, Cambridge. There are Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist and Particular Baptists chapels, and a Friends' meeting house.

The Village Institute built in 1874, at a cost of about £800 stands near the centre of the parish; it has a library of upwards of 660 volumes, and is used for concerts and other village purposes. The parish is particularly salubrious being situated on the lower greensand formation which here is a reddish-brown sand, and partly covered by pine woods. The principal landowners are the Duke of Bedford K. G., C. Ridgway esq. and Alfred Allnutt, esq, The area 1,400 acres, including 577 acres for Aspley Heath; the rateable value of which is £1,645; about 450 acres is woodland; the population in 1881 was 1,077, but it is now very much increased.

Parish Clerk, Charles Beasley.

Post, M. O. & T. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, Woburn Sands - John Pikesley, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Woburn at 6.40 a.m. & from Bletchley direct at 11.50 am. & 4.45 p.m.; dispatched at 12.30 & 7.55 p.m. to Bletchley direct & 6. p.m. to Woburn; & on sundays at 12 noon
WALL LETTER Box, Station road, cleared at 11.40 am. 4.30 & 7.40 p.m.; sundays 12 noon
WALL LETTER Box, Aspley Heath, cleared at 11.20 a.m. 4.10 & 7.25 p.m. ; sundays 11.45 a.m

INSURANCE AGENTS:-
Commercial Union, E. G. Miller, Cheapside
County Fire, G. Loke,
Northern, E. A. Taylor
Rock Life, W. Needham

A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1885 for Aspley Heath & subsequently representatives of the contributory districts of Aspley Guise & Wavendon (Bucks) were added each place sending two members; James Francis Smith clerk to the board; Robert Harrison, attendance officer Board School (mixed & infants), erected in 1868, at the cost of the Duke of Bedford, for 240 children; average attendance, 220. In 1889 a new infant school, adjoining the old buildings, was built at the cost of the Duke of Bedford KG to hold 100 children; Frederick George Sharp, master; Miss Hancock, infants’ mistress

Railway Station, John Sail Barratt, station master

Carriers to:- BEDFORD - Thomas Clarke, sat, NEWPORT PAGNELL - Thomas Clarke, tues. & fri, LEIGHTON BUZZARD - Joseph Rice, tues

Woburn Sands - High Street
The High Street, in a postcard used in 1909.


Woburn Sands

Private Residents
James Aikenhead, Sydney Cottage
Armstrong, Mrs
John Attack
Baker, Mrs
Edward Barnard
John Barr
Rev. Canon James Tufton Bartlet M. A. [curate]
James Warner Barton
George Richie Bermingham, Athenry
Blackwood, Mrs
Boston, Miss, Woodside Cottage
Rev. Joshua Cautley BA, Hillside
Thomas Clark, Belle Vue
Davis, Mrs.
William Henry Denison, Hardwick
Frederick William Down, Haydon House
Henry Down, Woodfield
Down, Mrs., Haydon House
George Freeman, Wroxhill
Garratt, Miss, Ivy Lawn
John Giles
John Green, The Laurels
Alfred Halstead, Glengyle
Harbert, Miss
Hayward, Mrs., Harefield Cottage
Henderson, Mrs., Westbury Leigh
Holcroft, Mrs.
Robert Jackson
James Lloyd, Ferndale
George Loke
Loke Miss
Macdonald, Mrs
James Ward Maxwell, Montrose Villa
Edward George Miller, Holmdale
Moore, Mrs.
Rev. Edward Henry Mosse, M. A. [vicar]
Mumford, Mrs.
Newman, Mrs.
Pain, Mrs., Woodlands
Platt, Miss, Russell Villa
William Platt, The Shrubbery
Rev. Samuel Rathmell [Wesleyan]
Roberts, Mrs.
Edward Roe
Rogers, Mrs., Prospect Villa
Smith, Mrs., Trelawn
George Staniford, Fair View
Steele, Miss
Charles Pole Stuart J.P. Sandy Mount House
Summerley, Mrs.
Rev. Alfred Sutcliffe [Primitive Methodists]
Swabey, Mrs., Woodcote
Trowbridge, Miss
Whitbread, Mrs., Rose Cottage
Wilkinson, Miss
John Willis

Woburn Sands - Road in from Woburn
The Fir Tree and The Swan, in The Square, from a postcard used in 1907

Commercial

William Adkins, carter
Samuel Almer, skin dealer
Aspley Guise & Woburn Sands Cottage Garden Society (E. G. Miller, secretary)
Avenue Brick & Tile & General Building Works (Jabez Whiting, proprietor), brick & tile manufacturer, builder, contractor & undertaker. [Has advert in directory]
Robert Bailey, Weathercock Public House & farmer
George Henry Bizzell, bookseller & photographer
Edward Boyes, draper & clothier
Edward Brown, dairyman
George William Bull, butcher
Ann Maria Burgess (Mrs.), shopkeeper & coffee tavern
John Byway, straw hat manufacturer
William Charles Byway, picture frame maker
Chapman & Son, news agents
Harry James Chapman, hair dresser
James Page Chapman, attendance officer for Aspley Guise school board
Thomas Chisnall, plumber & glazier
Thomas Clarke, carrier
John Collins, baker
William George Cooper, cattle dealer
Catherine Corby (Mrs.), milliner
George Frederick Corby, insurance agent
George Day, boot & shoe maker
Eliza Dilby, (Mrs.), Swan Hotel
George Dolton, builder
Samuel Dolton, wheelwright
Henry Down & Co. proprietors of the 'Farmers' Friend' for Prevention of Smut in Wheat; of 'Melville's Veterinary Preparations; & at Woburn. [Had adverts in Directory]
Henry & F. W. Down, maltsters & corn merchants; & at Woburn
John Driscoll, plasterer
James Dudley, brick & tile manufacturer
Jane Durrant (Miss), dress maker
Joseph Elliott, draper & clothier
George Elmore, skin dealer
Joshua Emms, watch & clock maker & jeweller & co
Annie Farmer (Mrs.), lodging house
Francis Farr, stone mason
Charles Featherstonhaugh, rope maker
James Foster, shopkeeper
Charles Freemen, confectioner & upholsterer
John Giles, junior, lath render
Henry Deacon Godfrey, dentist & chemist
John & Fred Goodall, timber merchants
Samuel Hack, shopkeeper
David Hallworth, boot & shoe maker
David Hammond, saddler & harness maker
Robert Harrison, attendance officer for Aspley Heath school board
Alfred Hopkins, baker
Alwyn Edward A. Hudson, plumber. & decorator
John Thomas Hudson, butcher
Frederick Hutton, builder
Henry Inwood, tailor & outfitter
Mary Ann Inwood (Mrs.), lodging house
Thomas Jackson, market gardener
Marrianne Kent (Miss), draper & milliner
George Kilsby, beer retailer
Eliza King (Mrs.), dress maker
George Loke, land agent &c
John T. Luttmen, Station Hotel & post house
William Mabley, lath render
William Alfred Meadows, builder & contractor
Elizabeth Miles (Miss), lodging house
George Miller Edward, printer & stationer
Frederick Stebbing Moore, boot & shoe maker
Walter Henry Moyle, surgeon, attends at Mr. Godfrey's, chemist, daily 4 pm
William Needham, ironmonger & importing agent
Ann Paternoster (Mrs.), grocer
P. Phipps. & Co. Limited brewers & wine & spirit merchants
John Pikesley, stationer, Post Office
William Poole, joiner & builder
Joseph Rice, blacksmith & carrier
Sarah Sharrett (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Alfred Smith, horse dealer & farmer, & brick & tile manufacturer
Charles Thomas Smith, coal merchant
Charlotte Smith (Miss), dress maker
Frederick Smith, plumber & glazier
George Smith, rag dealer
James Smith, carter
George Spreckley, tailor
Edwin Spring, builder & joiner
Frederick John Steers, butcher
Henry Summerley, cooper
George Tansley, grocer
Ernest Alfred Taylor, boot & shoemaker
Annie Tomlin (Mrs.), lodging house
Thomas Tompkins, coal, corn, seed, beer & hay & straw merchant; & at Ridgmont station & Woburn
Emma Turney (Miss), stationer & fancy repository
Charles Whitbread, lodging house
Caroline White (Miss), dress maker
Joseph Whiting, gardener
Richard E. Whitlock, chimney sweeper
William Whitlock, chimney sweeper
Maria Wickman (Mrs.), lodging house
George Willison, baker & confectioner,
Frederick Wingrave, grocer, & agent for W. & A. Gilbey, wine & spirit merchants
Woburn Sands Permanent Benefit Building Society (E. G. Miller, secretary)
Woburn Sands Village Institute & Reading Room (Edward Geo. Miller, secretary)
Thomas Wodhams, coal & corn merchant
James Wright, draper & boot dealer
George William Young, builder

ASPLEY HEATH

Private Residents

Alfred Allnutt, Edgebury
Captain Eustace Bolton Loraine Bevan, Glenside
Ernest Edward Challoner, Pine View
James Charles Cleghorn, J. P., Daneswood
Mrs. Cox, Croyland
Charles Cranmer, The Mount
Mrs. Fisher, Alderman’s Place
Miss Fraser
Barclay Hanbury
John Elliot Page, Heather Bank
Misses Warden, The Limes
Alfred Whitaker, The Knoll

    The Knoll, Aspley Heath
    The residence of Alfred Whitaker.

Commercial

Noah Ambrose, beer retailer
Thomas James Clarke, basket maker
Robert Sim Eveleigh, accountant
Levi Giles, fullers earth pits

Back To Directories Index