Kellys 1898 - Woburn Sands and Aspley Heath

WOBURN SANDS, which is on the Bucks border and the road from Dunstable to Newport Pagnell, is an ecclesiastical parish formed in 1867, and comprising the civil parish of Aspley Heath and parts of the parish of Aspley Guise and Wavendon, the two former being in the Southern division of the county, petty sessional division and union of Woburn, county court district of Leighton Buzzard, the latter in the union of Newport Pagnell, Bucks, all in the rural deanery of Fleete, archdeaconry of Bedford and diocese of Ely. The village has a station on the Bedford and Cambridge branch of the London and North Western railway, 12 miles south-west from Bedford, 4 east from Bletchley, 2½ north-west from Woburn and 50 from London: it is 44 miles from London by road. The church of St. Michael, at Aspley Heath, erected in 1868 from designs by Mr. Henry Clutton, architect, is an edifice in the French Gothic style, and originally consisted of chancel, nave of five bays and a small circular western bell turret: in 1889 it was enlarged from designs by Sir Arthur Blomfield A.R.A., F.S.A.: at a cost of £2,400, when the chancel was extended and new chancel and nave built on the north side, and transepts and vestries were also added; an oak pulpit with stone base has been presented by Mr. & Mrs. Stuart in memory of four of their children, and an oak lectern by Miss F. A. Stuart, in memory of Mrs. Nicholson. The stained east window was erected in 1889 as a memorial to Mr. W. H. Denison, for 21 years churchwarden, and there is another memorial window to Maud F. Stuart. The reredos, designed by Sir Arthur Blomfield A. R. A. was erected in 1896, as a memorial to Misses C. & E. Pain. The church affords 450 sittings. The register dates from the year 1867. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £160, with residence, in the gift of the Duke of Bedford, and held since 1884 by the Rev. Edward Henry Mosse M.A. of Christ's College, Cambridge. There are Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist and Particular Baptist chapels, and a Friends' meeting house. The Village Institute, built in 1874, at a cost of about £300, stands near the centre of the parish; it has a library of upwards of 800 volumes, and is used for concerts and other village purposes. A Training Home for seven girls was established in 1891, in the parish of Aspley Heath, as a branch from the Girls' Training Home at Bedford. The parish is particularly salubrious, being situated on the lower greensand formation, which here is a reddish-brown sand, and partly covered by pine woods. Edgebury is the residence of Alfred Allnutt esq. and Sandy Mount House the residence of Mrs. Stuart. The principal landowners are the Duke of Bedford, C. Ridgway esq. and Alfred Allnutt esq. The area is 1,400 acres, including 600 acres for Aspley Heath. The rateable value of which is £2,762; about 450 acres is woodland; the population in 1891 was 1,506, of which 752 are in Bucks. The population of Aspley Heath civil parish in 1891 was 451.  By Local Government Board Order 15,338, dated 24 June, 1883, Aspley Heath was made a separate civil parish, and by Order 18,187, dated March 25, 1885, part of Wavendon, in Bucks, was added to it.

Parish Clerk, Henry Hebbes.


Post, M. O. & T. O., T. M. O., S. B., Express Delivery; Parcel Post & Annuity & Insurance Office, Woburn Sands.- John Pikesley, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Bletchley direct at 4.50 a.m. & 12.15 & 4.45 p.m. Dispatched at 10.30 a.m. & 12.15, 8.0 & 10.0 p.m.; parcel mail, 10.30 a.m. & 12.15, 5.45 & 8 p.m.; sundays the box is closed at 8 p.m.


Wall letter boxes, Station road, cleared at 11.50 a.m. & 7.25 p.m.; Sundays, 5.15 p.m. Aspley Heath, cleared. at 10.0 a.m. & 7.25 p.m.; Sundays, 5.15 p.m.


A School Board of 5 members was formed July 25, 1885; for Aspley Heath & subsequently representatives of the contributory districts of Aspley Guise & Wavendon (Bucks) were added, the former sending two & the latter four members; James Francis Smith, 4 Bedford Street, Woburn, clerk to the board; George Newling, attendance officer.


Board School (mixed & infants), erected in 1868, at the cost of the Duke of Bedford, for 260 children; average attendance, 300. In 1889 a new infants' school, adjoining the old buildings, was built at the cost of Francis, Duke of Bedford K. G. for 120 children. The mixed school was enlarged in 1897 at a cost of £1,110; the schools now hold 420 children; Frederick George Sharp, master; Miss H. Cheetham, infants' mistress.


Railway Station, John Sail Barratt, station master


Carriers to:- Bedford - Thomas Clarke, wed. & sat.; - Newport Pagnell - Thomas Clarke, tues. & fri


Woburn Sands

Private Residents
John Barnard, Aspley Hill
William Bazley, Harefleld Cottage

George Richie Bermingham, Athenry
Bird, Miss, Woodcote
Boston, Miss, Woodside Cottage
Bosworth, Miss, Theydon Avenue
Rev. Arthur Brookes (Wesleyn)
Christopher Buckmaster, The Shrubbery
Burney, Miss, Eaton Lodge
Cantley, Miss, Oakley Lodge
James P. Chapman
William Crawley, Lime Villas
Davies, Mrs
Denison, Mrs. Hardwicke
Frederick William Down, Haydon House

Farmer, Mrs., The Terrace
Charles M. Featherstonhaugh, Prospect Villa
George Freeman, Wroxhill
Freeman, Mrs. Toynton
Robert French, Theydon Avenue
Garratt, Miss, Ivy Lawn
Richard George Gee, Hardwicke Cottage
Frederick Goodhall
Charles Goosey, Lime Villas
J. Wright Grant, Woodfield
Green, Mrs., The Laurels
Hamilton, Mrs. Westbury Leigh
Harbert, Miss
Thomas Daniel Hill Holmes M. D
Horton, Mrs. Ferndale
Hugh John Jackson, Theydon Avenue
Jackson, Miss
Rev. William G. Leadbetter (Primitive Methodists)
George Lees, Dunsprings
Loke, Miss
Harry Mallam, The Dene
Edward George Miller, Holmdale
Rev. John Holdsworth Morgan, Hillside
Moore, Mrs
Morrison, Mrs., Esperanza
Rev. Edward Henry Mosse, M. A. (vicar)
William Needham, Claremont House
Newman, Mrs
Pain, Mrs., Woodlands
Payne, Mrs., Glengyle
Pearce, Miss, Fair View
James Peto, Heatherlea
Reed, Mrs., Linslade Villa
Roberts, Mrs
William Inwood Roberts, The Terrace
Edward Roe
Joseph Sergeant, The Terrace
Thomas Thrale Sich, St. Denys
Steele, Miss
Stevens, Miss
Strange, Miss, Theydon Avenue
Stuart, Mrs., Sandy Mount House
Button, Miss, Stoke Albany
Tuke, Miss, Simcroft
Vallance, Mrs., The Terrace
Whickman, Mrs
Wilkin, Miss

The Fir Tree and Swan
The road into Woburn Sands from Woburn.

Commercial
William Adkins, carter
Frederick & George Andrew, bakers
Gibson Andrews, ironmonger
Aspley Guise & Woburn Sands Cot­tage Garden Society (E. G. Miller, secretary)
Barclay & Co. Limited, bankers (sub-branch), open on friday, 11am to 2pm; draw on head office, 54 Lombard street EC  
Benskins Watford Brewery Limited (branch) (Thomas Thrale Sich, branch manager), brewers & wine & spirit merchants; & brewers at Bedford & Dunstable; head office, Watford

George Henry Bizzell, butcher
William Bliss, coal & forage merchant, Railway station
Edward Boyes, draper & clothier
British Fullers' Earth Co. Limited (James Milne, manager); & at Aspley Heath
Edward Brown, dairyman
Wiliam Charles Byway, picture frame maker
Jas. Page Chapman, attendance officer for Aspley Guise school board
Alfred Chappell, baker
Robert A. Cheetham, photographer
Harriet Chisnall (Mrs.), plumber & glazier
Thomas Clarke, carrier
William George Cooper, cattle dealer
George Day, boot & shoe maker
Dexter & Co., timber merchants
George Dolton, builder
Ellen Dovey (Mrs.), stationer & fancy repository
John Driscoll, plasterer
Frederick William Down, proprietor of the "Farmers' Friend," for Prevention of Smut in Wheat; of "Melville's Veterinary Preparations"
Charles Dudley, brick & tile manufacturer
Jane Durrant (Miss), dress maker
Arthur George Ellingham, hair dresser
Joseph Elliott, draper & clothier
William Elmore, skin dealer
Joshua Emms, Watch & clock maker & jeweller &c
Annie Farmer (Mrs.), apartments
Elizabeth Foster (Mrs.), shopkeeper
James Foster, coal agent
Benjamin Garrett, Fir Tree Public House
Arthur, Henry & Thomas Giles, joiners
John Giles, steam sawyer
John Giles, junior, lath render
J. Wright Grant, M.B., C.M. surgeon & physician; medical officer & public vaccinator, Aspley & Woburn districts, Woburn union
Thomas Gregory, Swan Public House 
Samuel Hack, shopkeeper  
Henry Thomas Hall, land & estate agent
David Hallworth, boot & shoe maker
David Hammond. saddler & harness maker
George Harris, seedsman & florist
John Harris, coach builder
Holmes & Lane, news agents & refreshment rooms

George Holmes, news agent, see Holmes & Lane
Thomas Daniel Hill Holmes, M.D., C.M. surgeon, & medical officer, No. 8 district, Newport Pagnell union, see Lucas & Holmes
William John Horton, chemist
Alwyn Edward A. Hudson, plumber & decorator
Mary Ann Inwood (Mrs.), apartments
William Henry Inwood, tailor & outfitter
Thomas Jackson, market gardener
William Kent, builder
Frederick James Lane, news agent, see Holmes & Lane
Edward Last, coach builder
London & County Banking Co. Lim. (sub-branch), open on fridays, 10.30am to 1.30pm; draw on head office, 21 Lombard st. London EC  
Lucas & Holmes, surgeons; & at Woburn
John. T Luttman, Station hotel & post house
William Mabley, lath render
James McMurtrie, cabinet maker
William Mead, butcher
George Edward Miller, printer & bookbinder
Edward Moore, insurance agent
Eliza Moore (Mrs.), boot & shoe maker & milliner
National Deposit Friendly Society (Edward George Miller, secretary)
John Negus, grocer & provision dealer, agent for W. & A. Gilbey Limited, wine & spirit merchants
Phillips Fanny (Mrs.), confectioner
Phipps P. & Co. Limited (George Stamford, branch manager), brewers & wine & spirit merchants
John Pikesley, stationer, Post Office
William Poole, architect
George E Popple, ironmonger
John Walter Pratt, butcher
Joseph Rice, blacksmith & horse & trap proprietor
Frederick Jacob Roberts, Weathercock public house
George Sanders, boot & shoe maker
Eliza Scrivener (Mrs.), apartments
Alfred Smith, insurance agent
Charlotte Smith (Miss), dress maker
William Smith, carter
George Spreckley, tailor
Edwin Spring, builder & joiner
John Frederick Steers, butcher
Edward Alfred Stevens, hair dresser
Stubbs & Brown, coal merchants, Railway station
Ernest Oliver Tansley, confectioner
George Tansley, glass, china &c. dealer
Mary Ann Thompson (Miss), apartments
Annie Tomlin (Mrs.), apartments
Thomas Tompkins, coal, corn, seed & forage merchant, Railway station; & Woburn & Railway station Ridgmont
William Brown Toogood, general draper & milliner
Watkin Bros, brick & tile manufacturers
Caroline White (Miss), dress maker
Richard E. Whitlock, chimney sweeper
William Whitlock, chimney sweeper
Maria Wickman (Mrs.), apartments
Frederick Wingrave, grocer & wine & ale merchant
Woburn Sands Permanent Benefit Building Society (E. G. Miller, secretary)
Woburn Sands Recreation Club (J. McMurtrie, secretary)
Woburn Sands Village Institute & Reading Room (Edward George Miller, secretary)
Thomas Wodhams, coal & corn merchant
George Woodhams, beer retailer
James Wright, draper & boot dealer & brewers' agent
George William Young, builder

The end of the High Street
The northern end of the Woburn Sands parade of shops.

Aspley Heath

Private Residents
Alfred Allnutt, Edgebury
Baker, Miss
Rev. Canon James Tufton Bartlett M. A., Daneswood
Bevan, Mrs. Pine View
Cox, Mrs., Croyland
Cranmer Charles, The Mount
Cross, Mrs. Laperriere
William Charles Cross 
Robert Sim Everley
Hugh Frazer L.L. D
John Giles, Alpha Vilia
Rev. Francis Fitzgerald Hort, M. A., The Knoll
John Kemp, Glenside
Charles Mann
Rev. Edward Francis Miller M. A., The Knoll
James Milne
Minty, Miss
John Elliot Page, Heather Bank
Palmer, Miss
Pennington, Mrs., Firdale
J. E. L. Pickering, Alderman's Place
Arthur Charles Plater
Frederick George Sharp
Skottowe, Mrs., Holmwood
Summerley Miss
Turney, Mrs., The Limes
Wilkinson, Miss

Commercial
Noah Ambrose, beer retailer
Susannah Baker (Miss), apartments, Montrose Villa
Thomas Bodsworth, fishmonger
Frederick Bowler, apartments
Edward Brown, dairyman
British Fullers' Earth Company Limited.  (Jas. Milne, manager)
Charles Featherstonhaugh, rope &c. maker
Louisa Freeman (Mrs.), confectioner
Thomas Hallworth, boot &c. maker
Alfred Hopkins, baker
Knoll Preparatory School for Boys (Rev. Edward Francis Miller M.A. & the Rev. Francis Fitzgerald Hort M.A. proprietors), The Knoll
George Mann, apartments
George Newling, grocer, & school attendance officer Aspley Heath school board
Ann Paternoster (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Charles Dickins Purcer, baker
Henry Summerley, cooper
John Paul Summerley, joiner
Training Home for Girls (Mrs. Elizabeth Irons, matron)
Joseph Wilson, beer retailer