Kellys Directory of Woburn Sands and Aspley Heath 1903

Woburn Sands, which is on the Bucks border and on the road from Dunstable to Newport Pagnell, is an ecclesiastical parish formed in 1867, and comprising the civil parish of Aspley Heath, and parts of the parish of Aspley Guise and Wavendon, the two former being in the southern division of the county, Woburn petty sessional division, Ampthill union, Leighton Buzzard county court district, the latter in the union of Newport Pagnell, Bucks, all in the rural deanery of Fleete, archdeaconry of Bedford and the diocese of Ely. The village has a station on the Bedford and Cambridge branch of the London and North Western railway, 12 miles south-west from Bedford, 4 east from Bletchley, 2½ from Woburn and 50 from London: it is 44 miles from London by road. The church of St. Michael, in Aspley Heath parish, erected in 1868 from designs by Mr. Henry Clutton, architect, is an edifice in the French Gothic style, and originally consisted of chancel, nave of five bays and a small circular western bell turret. In 1889 it was enlarged from designs by Sir Arthur Blomfield A.R.A., F.S.A. at a cost of £2,400, when the chancel was extended and new chancel and nave built on the north side, and transepts and vestries were also added; an oak pulpit with stone base has been presented by Mr. and Mrs. Stuart in memory of four of their children, and an oak lectern by Miss F. A. Stuart, in memory of Mrs. Nicholson. The stained east window was erected in 1889 as a memorial to Mr. W. H. Denison, for 21 years churchwarden, and there is another memorial window to Maud F. Stuart. The reredos, designed by Sir Arthur Blomfield A.R.A. was erected in 1896, as a memorial to Misses C. and E. Pain.  The church affords 450 sittings. The register dates from the year 1867. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £160, with residence, in the gift of the Duke of Bedford, K. G., and held since 1900 by the Rev. Douglas William Henry M.A. of Exeter College, Oxford. There are Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist and Particular Baptist chapels, and a Friends' meeting house. The Village Institute, built in 1874, at a cost of about £800, stands near the centre of the parish: it has a library of upwards of 800 volumes, and is used for concerts and other village purposes. A Training Home for seven girls was established in 1891, in the parish of Aspley Heath, as a branch of the Girls Training Home at Bedford. The parish is particularly salubrious, being situated on the Lower Greensand formation, which here is a reddish-brown sand, and partly covered by pine woods. Edgebury is the residence of Alfred Allnut esq. and Hardwick House of the Ven. Frederick Bathurst M.A., archdeacon of Bedford. The principal landowners are the Duke of Bedford, K. G., C. Ridgway esq. and Alfred Allnut esq. The area is 1,400 acres; the population in 1901 was 1,740, of which 1,016 are in Bucks.

By Local Government Board Order 15,338. dated 24 June, 1883, Aspley Heath was made a separate civil parish, and by Order 18,187, dated March 25, 1885, part of Wavendon, in Bucks, was added to it. The area is 600 acres; rateable value, £2,309: the population in 1901 was 462.

Parish Clerk, Henry Hebbes.


Post, M. O. & T. O., T. M. O. S. B., E. D., P. P. & A. I. O., Woburn Sands Railway Sub-Office. Letters should have R.S.O. Beds added. - John Pikesley, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive at 4.50 a.m. & 12.15 & 4.45 p.m.; dispatched at 10.30 a.m. & 12.15, 8 & 10 p.m.; parcel mail. 10.30 a.m. & 12.15, 5.45 & 8 p.m.; Sundays, the box is cleared at 7 p.m.


Wall Letter Boxes. - near Station, cleared at 11.50 a.m. & 7.25 p.m.; Sundays, 5.15 a.m.; Aspley Heath cleared at 10a.m. & 7.25 p.m.; Sundays, 5.15 p.m.


A School Board of 5 members was formed July 25, 1885, for Aspley Heath & subsequently representatives of the contributory districts of Aspley Guise & Wavendon (Bucks) were added, the former sending two & the latter four members; Francis Smith, 4 Bedford Street, Woburn, clerk to the board, George Newling Attendance Officer.


Board School (mixed & infants), erected in 1868, at the cost of the Duke of Bedford, for 260 children. Average attendance 300. In 1889 a new infants' school, adjoining the old buildings, was built at the cost of Francis. Duke of Bedford K. G. for 120 children. The mixed school was enlarged in 1897 at a cost of £1,110; the schools now hold 420 children. Frederick George Sharp, master; Miss H. Cheetham, infants' mistress.

Railway Station, Thomas Atkinson, station master.


Carriers to:- Bedford - Thomas Clarke, wed. & sat Newport Pagnell -Thomas Clarke, tues.  & fri.


Woburn Sands
Private Residents

Allnutt, Miss, Lyncroft
Ven. Frederick Bathurst, M. A., Hardwick House
William Bazley, Harefield Cottage
Bermingham, Mrs., Athenry
Bosworth, Miss, Theydon Avenue
Bright, Mrs., Claremont
Burney, Miss., Eaton Lodge
Cautley, Miss., Oakley Lodge 
James P. Chapman

Dippie, Mrs
Farmer, Mrs., The Terrace
Charles M. Featherstonhaugh, Prospect Villa

Freeman, Mrs. Toynton
Robert French
Garrett, Miss, Ivy Lawn
Charles Goosey, Lime Villas
Gore, Mrs., Aspley Hill
J. Wright Grant M.B., Woodfield
Green, Miss, Station Road
Harbert, Miss
Harmer, Misses
Rev. Douglas William Henry, M. A. (vicar), Vicarage
Thomas Daniel Hill Holmes, M. D.
Horton, Mrs., Ferndale
James Hudson
Hugh John Jackson, Theydon Avenue
Jackson, Miss
George Lees, Dunsprings
Loke, Miss
Harry Mallam, The Dene
Edward George Miller, Holmdale
Rev. John Holdsworth Morgan, L. L. D., Hillside
Moore, Mrs
Morrison, Mrs., Esperanza
Mumley, Mrs., Stoke Albany
William Needham
Newman, Mrs.
Pain, Misses, Woodlands
Payne, Mrs. Glengyle
Pearce, Miss, Fair View
Rev. Geoffrey Pearce A. R. C. (curate)
Platt, Miss
Rawes, Mrs
Reed, Mrs., Sandy Mount
Roberts, Mrs.
Joseph Sergeant, The Terrace
George Spreckley
Steele, Miss
Strange, Miss
Sutton, Miss, Stoke Albany
Rev. Henry A. Swansborough (Wesleyan Methodist)
Trear, Mrs., Hardwick Road
Tuke, Miss, Lincroft
Vallance, Mrs, The Terrace
Whickman, Mrs
Wilkin, Miss


All that crestware in the window....
Tansley's china shop, on the corner of Vicarage Street Road.

Commercial (Early closing day, Wednesday)
William Adkins, carter
Frederick Andrew, baker
Gibson Andrews, ironmonger
Aspley Guise & Woburn Sands Cottage Garden Society (E. G. Miller, secretary)
William Bane, draper
Barclay & Co. Limited bankers (sub-branch), open on friday 11a.m. to 2 p.m.; draw-on head office, 54 Lombard Street E.C.
Benskins Watford Brewery Limited (branch), (Joseph A. Redrup, branch manager) brewers & wine  & spirit merchants & brewers at Dunstable; Head office, Watford
George Henry Bizzell, butcher & fishmonger
Edward Boyes, draper & clothier
Edward Brown, dairyman
William Charles Byway, picture frame maker
James Page Chapman, attendance officer for Aspley Guise school board
Alfred Chappell, baker
Robert A. Cheetham, photographer
Thomas Clarke, carrier
John W. Coley, Swan family & commercial hotel cyclists & motorists specially catered for
William George Cooper, cattle dealer
George Day, boot & shoe maker
William Day, shopkeeper
George Dolton, builder
Ellen Dovey (Mrs.), stationer & fancy repository
John Driscoll, plasterer
Charles Dudley, brick & tile manufacturer
Jane Durrant (Miss), dress maker
Arthur George Ellingham hair dresser
Joseph Elliott, draper & clothier
Joshua Emms, watch k clock maker & jeweller &c
Annie Farmer, (Mrs.) apartments
William Faulkner, butcher
Fletton & Co. brick works (John Brown, manager)
Benjamin Garrett, Fir Tree Public House
Arthur Henry & Thomas Giles, joiners

John Giles, steam sawyer
John Giles, junior, lath render
J. Wright Grant, M. B., C. M. surgeon & physician, medical officer & public vaccinator Aspley & Woburn districts, Ampthill union, Woodfield
David Hallworth, boot & shoe maker
David Hammond, saddler & harness maker

George Harris, seedsman and florist
John Harris, coach builder
Holmes & Lane, news agents & refreshment rooms
Thomas Daniel Hill Holmes, M. D., C. M. surgeon, & medical officer, No. 8 district, Newport Pagnell union, see Lucas & Holmes
William John Horton, chemist

Alwyn Edward A. Hudson, plumber & decorator
Alwyn J. Hudson, (Mrs.) draper
William Henry Inwood, tailor & outfitter
Thomas Jackson, market gardener
William Kent, builder
Edward Last, coach builder
London & County Banking Co. Limited (sub-branch), open on fridays 10.30a.m. to 1.30 p.m.; draw on head office, 21 Lombard Street, London E C
Lucas & Holmes, surgeons; & at Woburn
John T. Luttman, Station Hotel
James McMurtrie, cabinet maker
Edward George Miller, printer & bookbinder
Moore & Co., boot & shoe and milliner
National Deposit Friendly Society (Edward George Miller, secretary)

John Negus, grocer & provision dealer, agent for W. & A. Gilbey Limited, wine & spirit merchant
Anne Newling (Mrs.), shopkeeper
P. Phipps & Co. Limited (George Staniford, branch manager), brewers & wine & spirit merchants
John Pikesley, stationer, Post Office

Colour Sergeant. A. Plater, drill instructor, K. Company, 3rd Volunteer Battalion Bedfordshire Regiment, The Leys
George E. Popple, ironmonger
John Walter Pratt, butcher
Joseph Rice, blacksmith & horse & trap proprietor
Frederick Jacob Roberts, Weathercock Public House

George Sanders, boot and shoe maker
Henry Saunders, plumber

Eilza Scrivener, (Mrs), apartments
Charlotte Smith (Miss), dress maker
William Smith, carter
James W. Steers, butcher
Edward Alfred Stevens, hair dresser 
George Tansley, grocer & glass & china dealer
Mary Ann Thompson, (Miss), apartments
Annie Tomlin, (Mrs.), apartments
Thomas Tompkins, coal, corn, seed & forage merchant, Railway station; & at Woburn & Railway station, Ridgmont
William Brown Toogood, general & milliner
Watkin Brothers, Brick & tile manufacturers
Richard E. Whitlock, chimney sweeper
William Whitlock, chimney sweeper 
Maria Wickman (Mrs.) apartments
Frederick Wingrave, grocer & wine & ale merchant

Woburn Sands Permanent Building Society (E. G. Miller, secretary)
Woburn Sands Recreation Club (J. McMurtrie, secretary) 
Woburn Sands Village Institute and Reading Room (Edward George Miller, secretary)

Thomas Wodhams, coal & corn merchant
George Woodhams, beer retailer
George William Young, builder

The Cyclists Rest, Station Road
Junction of Weathercock Lane and Station Road.

Aspley Heath
Private Residents
Alfred Allnutt, Edgbury
Baker, Miss
Bevan, Mrs. Pine View
William Bradshaw, Alderman’s Place
Charles Cramner, The Mount
Crewdson, Miss, Holmwood
Cross, Mrs, Laperriere
William Charles Cross
Hugh Frazer L. L. D.
John Giles, Alpha Cottage
Rev. Francis Fitzgerald Hort, M. A., The Knoll
John Kemp, Glenside
Macworth, Mrs.
Charles Mann
Rev. Edward Francis Miller, M. A., The Knoll
Miller, Mrs.
James Milne
Mouat, Mrs.
Palmer, Miss
Arthur Charles Plater
Frederick George Sharp
Summerley, Miss
Turney, Mrs., The Limes

Wilkinson, Miss


Commercial
Noah Ambrose, beer retailer
Susannah Baker (Miss), apartments, Montrose Villa
Frederick Bowler, apartments
Edward Brown, dairyman
Charles Featherstonhaugh, rope &c maker
Louisa Freeman (Mrs.), confectioner
Thomas Hallworth, boot &c. maker
Alfred Hopkins, baker
Knoll Preparatory School for Boys (Rev. Edward Francis Miller M.A. & the Rev. Francis Fitzgerald Hort M. A. proprietors), The Knoll
George Mann, apartments
George Newling (Mrs.) grocer
Ann Paternoster, (Mrs.) shopkeeper
John Paul Summerley, joiner
Training Home for Girls (Mrs. Elizabeth Irons, matron)
Joseph Wilson, beer retailer