Kellys Directory of Woburn Sands and Aspley Heath 1906

Woburn Sands, which is on the Bucks border and on the road from Dunstable to Newport Pagnell, is an ecclesiastical parish formed in 1867, and comprises the civil parish of Aspley Heath and parts of the parishes of Aspley Guise and Wavendon, the two former being in the Southern division of the county, Woburn petty sessional division, Ampthill union. Leighton Buzzard county court district, the latter in the union of Newport Pagnell Bucks, all in the rural deanery of Fleete, arch deanery of Bedford and diocese of Ely. The village has a station on the Bedford and Cambridge branch of the London and North Western railway, 12 miles south-west from Bedford, 4 east from Bletchley, 2½ north-west Woburn and 50 from London; it is 44 miles from London by road. The church of St. Michael, at Aspley Heath, erected in 1868 from designs by Mr. Henry Clutton, architect, is an edifice in the French Gothic style and originally consisted of chancel, nave of five bays and a small circular western bell turret: in 1889 it was enlarged from designs by Sir Arthur Blomfield A. R. A., F. S. A. at a cost of £2,400, when the chancel was extended and new chancel and nave built on the north side, and transepts and vestries were also added: an oak pulpit with stone base has been presented by Mr. & Mrs. Stuart in memory of four of their children, and an oak lectern by Miss F. A. Stuart in memory of Mrs. Nicholson: the stained east window was erected in 1889 as a memorial to Mr. W. H. Denison, for 21 years churchwarden, and there is another memorial window to Maud F. Stuart: the reredos, designed by Sir Arthur Blomfield A. R. A. was erected in 1896 as a memorial to Misses C. and E. Pain: the church affords 450 sittings. The register dates from the year 1867. The living is a net yearly value £160, with residence, in the gift of the Duke of Bedford K. G. and held since 1900 by the Rev. Douglas William Henry M. A. of Exeter College, Oxford. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels and a Friends' meeting house. The Village Institute, built in 1874 at a cost of about £800, stands near the centre of the parish; it has a library of upwards 800 volumes and is used for concerts and other village purposes. Six almshouses were erected by the late Frederick W. Down in 1902 for aged people of the parish. A Training Home for seven girls was established in 1891 in the parish of Aspley Heath, as a branch from the Girls’ Training Home at Bedford. The Daneswood Jewish Sanatorium for Consumptives was opened on June 25th, 1903, and is pleasantly situated in the parish of Aspley Heath. The parish is particularly salubrious, being situated on the lower greensand formation, which here is a reddish-brown sand, and partly covered by pine woods. Edgebury is the residence of Alfred Allnutt esq. and Hardwick House of Arthur Holme Mowbray esq. The principal landowners are the Duke of Bedford K.G., C. Ridgway esq. and Alfred Allnutt esq. The area is 1,400 acres, including 600 acres for Aspley Heath; about 450 acres is woodland; the population in 1901 was 1,749, of which 1,036 are in Bucks. By Local Government Board Order 15,338. dated 24 June, 1883, Aspley Heath was made a separate civil parish, and by Order 18,187 dated March 25, 1885, part of Wavendon, in Bucks, was added to it. The area is 600 acres; rateable value, £2,443; the population in 1901 was 462.

Parish Clerk, Henry Hebbes.


Post, M. O. & T. O., S. B. & A. & I. Office, Woburn Sands (Sub-Office. Letters should have S.O. Beds added).- John Pikesley, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive at 4.15 a.m. & 12.10 & 4.45 p.m.; dispatched at 10.30 a.m. & 12.15, 8 & 10 p.m.; parcel mail. 10.30 a.m. & 12.15, 5.45 & 8 p.m.; Sundays, the box is cleared at 7 p.m


Wall Letter Boxes. - near Station, cleared at 11.50 a.m. & 7.40 p.m.; Sundays, 11.40 a.m.; Station road, cleared at 10.40 a.m. & 7.40 p.m. ; Sundays, 5.15 p.m.; Aspley Heath (near church), cleared at 10.5 a.m. & 7.30 p.m. ; Sundays, 5.5 p.m.; (Heatherbank), cleared at 10 a.m. & 7.25 p.m.; Sundays, 5 p.m


Council School (mixed & infants), erected in 1868, at the cost of the Duke of Bedford, for 260 children. In 1889 a new infants' school, adjoining the old buildings, was built at the cost of Francis. Duke of Bedford K.G. for 120 children. The mixed school was enlarged in 1897 at a cost of £1,110; the schools now hold 420 children; average attendance, 320; Frederick George Sharp, head master; Miss H. Cheetham, infants' mistress.


Railway Station, Frederick William Palmer, station master


Carriers to:- Bedford - Thomas Clarke, wed. & sat Newport Pagnell -Thomas Clarke, tues. & fri


Woburn Sands
Private Residents

Allbut, Miss, Lyncroft
John Barker, Station Road
William Bazley
Bell, Miss., Hillside
Arthur Boyes, Theydon Lodge
Burney, Miss, Eaton Lodge
Cautley, Miss, Oakley Lodge 
James P. Chapman, Theydon Avenue
Robert A. Cheetham, Stoke Albany 
Chichester, Mrs., Athenry
Dippie, Mrs
Farmer, Mrs., The Terrace
Charles M. Featherstonhaugh, Prospect Villa
Freeman, Mrs. Brookside, Theydon Avenue
Herman J. R. Gaskoin, Ivy Cottage
J. Wright Grant, M. B. Woodfield
Green, Miss, Station Road
Harmer, Misses
Rev. Douglas William Henry M. A. (vicar), Vicarage
Thomas Daniel Hill Holmes M. D
Rev. Herbert Hooper (Wesleyan Methodists)
Thomas Hudson
Irving, Miss
Hugh John Jackson, Theydon Avenue
Jackson, Miss
Lakin, Misses, Avenue Lodge
Lees, Mrs
George Charles G. Lockhart, J. P., The Dene
Loke, Miss
Edward George Miller, Holmdale
Moore, Mrs
Morrison, Mrs., Esperanza
Arthur Holme Mowbray, Hardwick House
William Needham
Pain, Misses, Woodlands
Payne, Mrs., Glengyle
Pearce, Miss, Fair View
Philpotts, Mrs., Aspley Hill
Platt, Miss
Rawes, Mrs
Reed, Mrs., Ashtonleigh

Sergeant, Mrs., The Terrace
George Spreckley
Steele, Miss
Walter B. Stonebridge
Strange, Miss
Thompson, Miss
Tuke, Miss, Lincroft
Vallance, Miss, The Terrace

Looking down the High Street
The Swan Hotel

Commercial - Early closing day Wednesday.
Noah Ambrose, shopkeeper
Gibson Andrews, ironmonger
Aspley Guise & Woburn Sands Cottage Garden Society (E. G. Miller, secretary)
Barclay & Co. Limited bankers (sub-branch), open on friday 11a.m. to 2p.m.; draw-on head office, 54 Lombard street E C
John Barker, horse dealer
John Barton, coal & corn merchant
William Bailey, wheat dressing
Benskins Watford Brewery Limited (branch), brewers & wine  & spirit merchants
George Bizzell (Mrs.), butcher & fishmonger
Edward Brown, dairyman
William Charles Byway, cycle maker
A. Cattell boot & shoe maker
Robert A. Cheetham photographer
Thomas Clarke, carrier
John W. Coley Swan family & commercial hotel cyclists & motorists specially catered for.
George Collin, tailor, Station Road
E. Collins (Miss), shopkeeper  
William George Cooper, cattle dealer
George Day, boot & shoe maker
Ellen Dovey (Mrs.), stationer & fancy repository
John Driscoll, plasterer
Dudeney & Johnston Limited, grocers & provision merchants

Dudley & Clarke, timber merchants
Charles Dudley, brick & tile manufacturer
Frederick Herbert Dudley, Weathercock Public House
Jane Durrant (Miss), dress maker
Eastman's Limited, butchers
Easton Madame, dress maker
Eastwood & Co. Limited, brickworks
Arthur George Ellingham, hair dresser
Joseph Elliott, draper & clothier
Joshua Emms, watch & clock maker & jeweller
Arthur J. Frossell, cycle maker
Benjamin Garrett, Fir Tree Public House
Henry Giles & Son, lath renders
John William Goodall, baker
J. Goodall (Mrs.), shopkeeper
J. Wright Grant M.B., C.M. physician k surgeon, medical officer & public vaccinator Aspley & Woburn districts, Ampthill union, Woodfield
F. & T. Gregory, carpenters & builders
Henry Gregory, stationer         
David Hallworth, boot & shoe maker
David Hammond, saddler & harness maker
William Harrington, draper
John Harris, coach builder
Holmes & Lane, news agents & refreshment rooms
Thomas Daniel Hill Holmes, M. D., C. M. surgeon, & medical officer, No. 8 district, Newport Pagnell union, see Lucas & Holmes
Alfred Hopkins, baker  
Horton & Bayes, chemists
William Henry Inwood, tailor & outfitter
Thomas Jackson, market gardener
William Jakeman, saddler
H. Jones & Co., grocers & provision dealers
William Kent, builder
Edward Last, coach builder
London & County Banking Co. Limited (sub-branch), open on fridays 10.30  a.m. to 1.30 p.m.; draw on head office, 21 Lombard Street, London E C
Lucas & Holmes, surgeons; & at Woburn
John T. Luttman, Station Hotel
James McMurtrie, cabinet maker
Drew Medcalfe, fly proprietor
Edward George Miller, printer & bookbinder
Moore & Co., boot & shoe makers & milliners
National Deposit Friendly Society (Edward George Miller, secretary)
Anne Newling (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Frederick W. Palmer, station master
John Pikesley, stationer, Post Office
John Pikesley, junior, grocer & agent for W. & A. Gilbey Limited, wine & spirit merchant
George E. Popple, ironmonger
John Walter Pratt, butcher
Joseph Rice, blacksmith & horse trap proprietor
John Arthur Roberts, fishmonger
Sadd, Miss, milliner
W. H. Smith & Sons, news agents & stationers
Charlotte Smith (Miss), apartments

William Smith, carter
James W. Steers, butcher
M. F. Stevens (Mrs.), hair dresser
Stonebridge & Foll, architects, surveyors, auctioneers & land agents
Walter B. Stonebridge, architect & surveyor
George Tansley, grocer & glass & china dealer
Charles Taylor, greengrocer
Mary Ann Thompson, (Miss), apartments
Annie Tomlin, (Mrs.), apartments
Thomas Tompkins, coal, corn, seed & forage merchant, Railway station; & at Woburn & Railway station, Ridgmont
William Brown Toogood, general draper & milliner
Fred Whitlock, chimney sweep 
Charles S. Whitmee, dairyman
Woburn Sands Permanent Building Society (E. G. Miller, secretary)
Woburn Sands District Co-op Society Limited (stores)
Woburn Sands Recreation (J. McMurtrie, secretary) 
Woburn Sands Village Institute (Edward George Miller, secretary)

Thomas Wodhams, coal & corn merchant
George Woodhams, beer retailer
A. E. Wrighton, marble mason
George William Young, builder

Aspley Heath
Private Residents
Alfred Allnutt, Edgebury
Baker, Miss
Alfred H. Beeching, The Mount
William Bradshaw, Alderman’s Place
Crewdson, Miss, Homewood
Henry T. Horn, Heatherbank
Rev. Francis Fitzgerald Hort, The Knoll 
John Kemp, Glenside
Lipscombe, Mrs., Fairview
Mann, Mrs., Pinewood
Rev. Edward Francis Miller M. A., The Knoll

Miller, Mrs
Palmer, Miss
Alfred William Pettit, Croylands
Arthur Charles Plater, Silver Birches
Samson, Miss
Frederick George Sharp
Spinney, Mrs., Melbury
Summerley, Miss
Turney, Miss, The Limes
Wilkinson, Miss
Woods, Miss

Church Road, Aspley Heath
Midway up Aspley Heath

Commercial
Susannah Baker (Miss), apartments, Montrose Villa
Frederick Bowler, apartments
Edward Brown, dairyman
Daneswood Jewish Sanatorium for Consumptives (G. S. Joseph, honourary secretary)
William Faulkner, butcher
Alwyn Edward A. Hudson, plumber & decorator
Knoll Preparatory School for Boys (Rev. Edward Francis & the Rev. Francis Fitzgerald M.A. proprietors). The Knoll
George Newlin, (Mrs.), grocer
Harry Seabrook, beer retailer and painter
John Paul Summerley, joiner
Training Home for Girls (Mrs Elizabeth Irons, matron)
Joseph Wilson, beer retailer