Kellys Directory of Woburn Sands and Aspley Heath 1910

Woburn Sands, which is on the Bucks border and on the road from Dunstable to Newport Pagnell, in an ecclesiastical parish formed in 1867, and comprises the civil parish of Aspley Heath and part of the parish of Aspley Guise. By Local Government Board Order, dated 27 the December, 1906, that part of Wavendon formerly in this parish was detached from it. The parish is in the Southern division of the county, Woburn petty sessional division, Ampthill union, Leighton Buzzard county court district, in the rural deanery of Fleete, archdeaconry of Bedford and diocese of Ely. The village has a station on the Bedford and Cambridge branch of the London and North Western railway, 12 miles south-west from Bedford, 4 east from Bletchley, 2½ north-west from Woburn and 50 from London; it in 44 miles from London by road.  Water and sewage works are now (1910) being constructed by the Ampthill and Newport Pagnell Rural District Councils, at an estimated cost of  £20,000. The new reservoir at Bow Brickhill Heath will hold 390,000 gallons; the pumping station is in this parish. The church of St. Michael, at Aspley Heath, erected in 1868 from designs by Mr. Henry Clutton, architect, is an edifice in the French Gothic style, and originally consisted of chancel, nave of five bays and a small circular western bell turret: in 1889 it was enlarged, from designs by Sir Arthur Blomfield A. R. A., F. S. A. at a cost of £2,400, when the chancel was extended and new chancel and nave built on the north side, and transepts and vestries were also added: an oak pulpit with stone base has been presented by Mr. and Mrs. Stuart in memory of four of their children, and an oak lectern by Miss F. A. Stuart in memory of Mrs. Nicholson: the stained east window was erected in 1889 as a memorial to Mr. W. H. Denison for 21 years churchwarden, and there is another memorial window to Maud F. Stuart: the reredos, designed by Sir Arthur BlumfieId A. R. A. was erected in 1896 as a memorial to Misses C. and E. Pain: the church affords 450 sittings. The register dates from the year 1867. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £160, with residence, in the gift of the Duke of Bedford K. G. and held since 1900 by the Rev. Douglas William Henry M.A. of Exeter College, Oxford. There are Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist and Baptist chapels and a Friends' meeting house. The Village Institute, built in 1874 at a cost of about £800, stands near the centre of the parish; it has a library of upwards of 800 volumes, and is used for concerts and other village purposes. Six almshouses were erected by the late Frederick W. Down in 1902 for aged people of the parish. A Training Home for seven girls was established in 1891, in the parish of Aspley Heath, as a branch from the Girls' Training Home at Bedford. The Daneswood Jewish Sanatorium for Consumptives was opened on June 25th, 1903, and is pleasantly situated in the parish of Aspley Heath. The parish is particularly salubrious, being situated on the lower greensand formation, which here is a reddish-brown sand, and partly covered by pine woods. Edgebury is the residence of Alfred Allnutt esq. The principal landowners are the Duke of Bedford K. G., C. Ridgway esq. and Alfred Allnutt esq. The area is 1,400 acres, including 600 acres for Aspley Heath; about 450 acres is woodland; rateable value, £6,056; the population in 1901 was 1,749, of which 1,036 are in Bucks.

Aspley Heath is a civil parish, formed by Local Government Board Order 15,338, dated 24 June, 1883. By Order 18,187, dated March 25. 1885, part of Wavendon, in Bucks, was added to it. The area is 600 acres; rateable value, £2,539; The population in 1901 was 462.

Parish Clerk, Henry Hebbes.

Post: M. O. & T. & Telephonic Express Delivery Office Woburn Sands (letters should have Beds added).- John Pikesley, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive at 4.15 a.m. & 12.10 & 4.45 p.m.; delivered at 7 a.m. & 12.35 & 5p.m. dispatched at 10.20 a.m. &. 12.20, 3, 5.45, 8 & 10 p.m.; parcel mail, 10.20 a.m. & 12.15, 3, 5.45 & 8 p.m.; Sundays, office open from 8.30 to 10 a.m.; the box is cleared at 7.25 pm

Wall Letter Boxes.- Station Road, cleared at 12.10, 1 & 7.40 p.m.; Sundays, 12.40 p.m.; Aspley Heath (near church), cleared at 10 a.m. & 1 & 7.30 p.m.; Sundays, 5 p.m.; Church wall, cleared at 10.5 a.m. &. 1 & 7.25 p.m.; Sundays, 5 p.m.; The Leys, cleared at 10 a.m. & 1.30 & 7.30 p.m.; Theydon Avenue, 12.10, 1 & 7.40 p.m.; sundays, 5.15 p.m.


Council School (mixed & infants), erected in 1868, at the cost of the 9th Duke of Bedford, for 260 children. In 1889 a new infants' school, adjoining the old buildings, was built at the cost of Francis, Duke of Bedford K. G. for 120 children. The mixed school was enlarged in 1897 at a cost of £1,110; the schools now hold 500 children; average attendance, 300; Frederick George Sharp, head master; Miss H. Cheetham, infants’ mistress. Also an Intermediate Evening school, held from September to April, & is now (1910) being attended by 72 students; Frederick George Sharp, principal


Railway Station, Frederick William Parker, station master


Carriers to: Bedford - Walter Barker, wed. & sat; Newport  Pagnell - Waller Barker,  tues. & fri; Leighlon Buzzard - Charles Gooding, tues. & fri.


Woburn Sands
Private Residents

Allbutt, Miss, Lingeroft
John Barker, Station Road
William Henry Bazley
Arthur Boyes, Theydon Lodge
Robert Lewis Brander, M. B., Woodfield
Burney, Miss, Eaton Lodge
Cautley, Miss, Oakley Lodge
Chapman, Mrs., Theydon Avenue
Robert A. Cheetham, Stoke Albany
Fanner, Mrs., The Terrace
Charles M. Featherstonhaugh, Prospect Villa
Charles Jacinth Bellairs Gaskoin, Greenwood Cottage
Herman Gaskoin, Mrs., Greenwood Cottage
Edward Glaisyer, Ivy Lawn
Green, Miss, The Laurels, Station Road
Green, Mrs., Avenue Lodge  
Harris, Miss, Hillside
Harmer, Misses
Rev. Douglas William Henry M.A. (vicar), Vicarage
Thomas Daniel Hill Holmes, M. D. 
Thomas Hudson 
Irving, Miss
Hugh John Jackson, Theydon Avenue
Marshall Jackson, Miss, Elm Lodge
Lakin, Miss, Athenry
George Charles Gostelow Lockhart, J. P., The Dene
Arthur Litton McIntire, Lynwood
Edward George Miller, York Cottage
Moore, Mrs
Morrison, Mrs., Esperanza 
Arthur Holme Mowbray, Hardwicke house
William Needham
Pain, Miss, Woodlands
Payne, Mrs., Glengyle
Harold George Peel, Sandy Mount
Perkins, Mrs., Wroxhill
Platt, Miss
Rawes, Mrs
Reed, Mrs. Ashleigh
Sergeant, Mrs., The Terrace
George Spreckley
Steele, Miss
Walter B. Stonebridge
Thompson, Miss
Tuck, Miss, North Holt
Tuke, Miss, Lingcroft
Wilson, Mrs., Ferndale  

Hand coloured card of The Swan
From a postcard used in 1910. Swan and High Street

COMMERCIAL - Early closing day, Wednesday. 
Noah Ambrose, shopkeeper
Gibson Andrews, ironmonger
George Hensman Archer, Weathercock Public House
Aspley Guise & Woburn Sands Cottage Garden Society (Sam J. Southwood, secretary)
Barclay & Company Ltd. bankers (sub-branch), open on monday & friday 10.30 a.m. to 1.30 p.m.; draw on head office, 54 Lombard Street E C
John Barker, horse dealer
Walter Barker, carrier
John Barton, coal & corn merchant
Ernest Frank Bathurst, chemist, High Street
William Henry Bazley, wheat dressing
Benskin's Watford Brewery Limited (branch), brewers
Wilkie Bliss, coal merchant, Railway station
Thomas Henry Brill, dairy, Station Road
Robert Lewis Brander M. B., C. M. Aberdeen, physician & surgeon, medical officer &; public vaccinator Aspley & Woburn districts, Ampthill union & certifying factory surgeon, Woodfield
Edward Brown, dairyman
William Charles Byway, picture frame maker
A. Cattell, boot & shoe maker
Robert A. Cheetham, photographer
Agnes Mary Coleman (Miss), confectioner
E. Collins (Miss), shopkeeper
William George Cooper, cattle dealer
George Collins, tailor, High Street
Reginald Herbert Dennis, cycle maker; agent to all the best makers, Station Road
Ellen Dovey, (Mrs.), fancy repository
Erasmus George Dovey, watch & clock maker, see Emms & Dovey
John Driscoll, plasterer
Dudeney & Johnston Limited, grocer provision merchants
Charles Dudley, brick & tile manufacturer
Jane Durrant (Miss), dress maker
Eastman's Limited, butchers
Eastwood & Co. Limited, brick works
Wilfred Edgington, fishmonger, see Wooding & Edgington
Arthur George Ellingham, hair dresser
Emms & Dovey, watch & clock makers
Annie Farmer (Mrs.), apartments
Elizabeth Foster (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Benjamin Garratt, Fir Tree family commercial hotel; cyclists & motorists specially entered for. See advertisement
Sarah Gibling (Miss), refreshment rooms see Pratt & Gibling
Henry Giles & Son, lath renders
Charles Gooding, carrier & shopkeeper
Ernest Ambrose Gregory, antique dealer
Ernest Gregory (Mrs,), dress maker
Thomas Gregory, carpenter
David Hallworth, boot & shoe maker
David Hammond, saddler & harness maker
Robert Thomas Hammond, Swan Hotel
William Harrington, draper
Charles P. Hobbs, butcher
Holmes & Smith, surgeons
Thomas Daniel Hill Holmes, M. D., C. M. Edinburgh, surgeon & medical officer No. 8 district, Newport Pagnell union (firm Holmes & Smith); & at Woburn
Sarah Ann Homans (Mrs,) greengocer
Alfred Hopkins, baker
William Henry Inwood, tailor & outfitter
Thomas Jackson, market gardener
William Jakeman, saddler
H. Jones & Co., Grocers & provision dealers 
William Kent, builder
Edward Last, coach builder 
London County & Westminster Bank Limited (sub-branch), open on Mondays & fridays 10.30a.m. to 1.30p.m.; draw on head office, 21 Lombard Street, London, E C
John T. Luttman, Station Hotel
James McMurtrie, house furnisher
Drew Medcalfe, fly proprietor
Edward George Miller, printer & bookbinder
Moore & Co., boot & shoe makers & milliners
National Deposit Friendly Society (Edward George Miller, secretary)
Harriet Newling (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Frederick W. Parker, station master
Fred Pikesley, cycle agent, High Street
John Pikesley, stationer, Post Office
John Pikesley, junior, news agent & assistant overseer, High Street
George Frederick Pitt, hair dresser, Station Road
George E. Popple, ironmonger
Pratt  & Gibling, refreshment rooms, Station Road
John Walter Pratt, butcher
Joseph Rice & Sons, blacksmiths
John Arthur Roberts, fishmonger
Sadd, Miss, milliner
Joseph John Scrivener, cycle maker
Henry Sear, coal merchant, Wood Street
W. H. Smith & Son, news agents
Charles Charnock Smith M. R. C. S., L. R. C. P., J. P. surgeon (firm, Holmes & Smith)
Charlotte Smith (Miss), apartments
South Bedfordshire Branch of the R. S. P. C. A. (Woburn Sands branch) (Miss M. Gaskoin, honourary secretary), Greenwood Cottage
Stonebridge & Foll, land agents
George Tansley, glass & china dealer
James William Tansley, grocer
Mary Ann Thompson (Miss), apartments
Annie Tomlin (Mrs.), apartments
Thomas Tompkins, coal, corn, seed & forage merchant, Railway station; & at Woburn & Railway station, Ridgmont
William Brown Toogood, general draper
George Page Turney, grocer, High Street
Edward John Tyers, plumber, Wood Street
George Walter Wells, confectioner
Fred Whitlock, chimney sweeper
Charles S. Whitmee, dairyman
George Wigley & Sons, estate agents
John Williams, beer retailer
Woburn Sands Permanent Benefit Building Society (E. G. Miller, secretary)
Woburn Sands District Co-operative Society Limited  (stores)
Woburn Sands Men's Club (J. McMurtrie, secretary)
Woburn Sands Village Institute (Edward George Miller, secretary)
Thomas Wodhams, coal & corn merchants
Wooding & Edgington, fishmongers, High Street
John York, baker
George William Young, builder

Brills Dairy Cart
Brill's Dairy cart, Woburn Sands

Aspley Heath
Private Residents
Alfred Allnutt, Edgebury
Arthur Thomas Bailey, Forest Hurst
Alfred H. Beeching, The Mount
Rev. Hugh Basil Brown, Th. Assoc. K. C. L. (curate of St. Michael's), Montrose
Crewdson, Miss, Homewood
Edward Hart, Glenside
Hubert Rymer Hinge, Fairview
Rev. Francis Fitzgerald Hort M. A. The Knoll
 Rev. Edward Francis Miller M. A. The Knoll
Miller, Miss, Velindre
Palmer, Miss
Alfred William Pettit, Croyland
Arthur Charles Plater, Silverbirch
Spinney, Mrs. Melbury
Percy Malcolm Stewart J. P., Aspley Heath House
Summerley, Miss
Turney, Miss, The Limes
Rev. Henry George Watts M. A., The Wilderness
Wilkinson, Miss, Hillside
Woods, Miss, Firdale

Commercial
Susannah Baker (Miss), apartments, Montrose Villa
Edward Brown, dairyman
William Frank Cremack, butcher
Daneswood Jewish Sanatorium for Consumptives (Miss Rose Jacob, honourary secretary; Miss Helen M. Brown, matron)
William George Griggs, assistant land agent to Edward Hurt esq., Thornbank
David Henman, decorator, Woodside
Alwyn Edward A. Hudson, decorator
Knoll Preparatory School for Boys (Rev. Edward Francis Miller M. A. & the Rev. Francis Fitzgerald Hort M. A. proprietors), The Knoll
Hannah Esther Mann (Mrs.), apartments
Harry Seabrook, beer retailer
George Edward Simmons, gardener to Edward Hart esq., The Laurels
John Paul Summerley, joiner
Training Home for Girls (Miss Mary Sharp Gatt, matron)
Fred Tyres, apartments, Southwood
Joseph Wilson, beer retailer