Kellys Directory for Woburn Sands and Aspley Heath 1914


Woburn Sands, which is on the Bucks border and on the road from Dunstable to Newport Pagnell, in an ecclesiastical parish formed in 1867, and comprises the civil parish of Aspley Heath and part of the parish of Aspley Guise. By Local Government Board Order, dated 27 the December, 1906, that part of Wavendon formerly in this parish was detached from it. The parish is in the Southern division of the county, Woburn petty sessional division, Ampthill union, Leighton Buzzard county court district, in the rural deanery of Fleete, archdeaconry of Bedford and diocese of Ely. The village has a station on the Bedford and Cambridge branch of the London and North Western railway, 12 miles south-west from Bedford, 4 east from Bletchley, 2½ north-west from Woburn and 50 from London; it in 44 miles from London by road.  Water and sewage works at Aspley Guise were opened on June 8th, 1911, by the Duke of Bedford K. G. The new reservoir at Bow Brickhill Heath will hold 380,000 gallons of water. The church of St. Michael, at Aspley Heath, erected in 1868 from designs by Mr. Henry Clutton, architect, is an edifice in the French Gothic style, and originally consisted of chancel, nave of five bays and a small circular western bell turret: in 1889 it was enlarged, from designs by Sir Arthur Blomfield A.H.A., F.S.A. at a cost of £2,400, when the chancel was extended and new chancel and nave built on the north side, and transepts and vestries were also added: an oak pulpit with stone base has been presented by Mr. and Mrs. Stuart in memory of four of their children, and an oak lectern by Miss F. A. Stuart in memory of Mrs. Nicholson: the stained east window was erected in 1889 as a memorial to Mr. W. H. Denison for 21 years churchwarden, and there is another memorial window to Maud F. Stuart: the reredos, designed by Sir Arthur BlumfieId A. R. A. was erected in 1896 as a memorial to Misses C. and E. Pain: the church affords 450 sittings. The register dates from the year 1867. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £166, with residence, in the gift of the Duke of Bedford K. G. and held since 1914 by the Rev. John Shelton. There are Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist and Baptist chapels and a Friends' meeting house. The Village Institute, built in 1874 at a cost of about £800, stands near the centre of the parish; it has a library of upwards of 800 volumes, and is used for concerts and other village purposes. Six almshouses were erected by the late Frederick W. Down in 1902 for aged people of the parish. A Training Home for ten girls was established in 1891, in the parish of Aspley Heath, as a branch from the Girls' Training Home at Bedford. The Daneswood Jewish Sanatorium for Consumptives was opened on June 25th, 1903, and is pleasantly situated in the parish of Aspley Heath. The parish is particularly salubrious, being situated on the lower greensand formation, which here is a reddish-brown sand, and partly covered by pine woods. Edgebury is the residence of Alfred Allnult esq. The principal landowners are the Duke of Bedford K. G., C. Ridgway esq. and Alfred Allnutt esq. The area is 1,400 acres, including 600 acres for Aspley Heath; about 450 acres is woodland; rateable value, £5,990; the population in 1911 was 1,867, which extends into Bucks.


Aspley Heath is a civil parish, formed by Local Government Board Order 15,338, dated 24 June, 1883. Bv Order 18,187, dated March 25, 1885, part of Wavendon, in Bucks, was added to it. The area is 600 acres; rateable value, £2,583; the population in 1911 was 572, including 33 in the Daneswood Sanatorium.

Parish Clerk, Henry Hebbes.

Post, M. 0. & T. & Telephonic Express Delivery Oflice, Woburn Sands (letters should have Beds added).

John Pikesley, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive at 4.15 a.m. & 12.10 & 4.45 p.m.; delivered at 7 & 10.30 ,p.m. & 12.35 & 5 p.m.; dispatched at 10.15 a.m. & 2.20, 3, 5.45, 8 & 10 p.m.; parcel mai. 10.15 a.m. & 12.15, 3, 5.45 & 8 p.m.; Sundays, office open from 8.30 to 10 a.m.; the box is cleared at 7.25 p.m

Wall Letter Boxes.- North End, cleared at 7.35 a.m. & 12.5, 1 & 7.40 p.m.; Sundays, 11.40 a.m.; Aspley Heath (near church), cleared at 10 a.m. & 1 & 7.25 p.m.; Sundays, 5 p.m.; Church wall, cleared at 10.5 a.m. & 1 & 7.25 p.m.; Sundays, 5 p.m.; Daneswood cleared 8 a.m. & 1.5 & 7.20 p.m.; Sunday, 4.50 p.m.; The Leys, cleared at 10 a.m. & 1.30 & 7.30 p.m.; Theydon Avenue, cleared 10.15 a.m. & 1.15 & 7.40 p.m. sunday, 5.15 p.m.

Council School (mixed & infants), erected in 1868 at the cost of the 9th, Duke of Bedford, for 260 children. In 1889 a new infants' school, adjoining the old buildings, was built at the cost of Francis. Duke of Bedford K. G. for 120 children. The mixed school was in 1897 at a cost of £1,110; the schools now hold 500 children; Frederick George Sharp, head master, Miss H. Cheetham, infants' mistress. Also an Intermediate Evening school, held from September to April, & is now (1914) being attended by about [???] students: George Owen Pilkington, principal.

Railway Station, William Voss Clarke, station


Carriers to:- Bedford - Harry Barker, wed. & sat; Newport Pagnell - Harry Barker, tues. & fri; Leighton Buzzard - Charles Gooding, tues. & fri.

Woburn Sands
Private Residents
William Henry Bazley, Ashfield
Arthur Boyes, Theydon Lodge
Robert Lewis Brander M. B. Woodfield
Burney, Miss, Eaton Lodge
Cautley, Miss, Oakley
Chapman, Mrs., Theydon Avenue
Robert A. Cheetham, Stoke Albany
John Coles, Theydon Avenue
Condon, Mrs., Avenue Lodge

Edward Creasy J. P., The Cedars
Frederick Harris Day, Aspley Villa
De Mowbray, Mrs., Athenry
Drake, Mrs., St. Leonard's Cottage
Charles M. Featherstonhaugh, Prospect Villa
John Henry Robinson Fletcher, Sandymount
Herman Gaskoin, Mrs., Greenwood Cottage
Henry Edward Grace, Theydon Avenue
E. Avling Green, Lyncroft
Green, Miss, The Laurels, Station Road
Albert Hardy, St. Deny's
Harmer, Misses
James Hunt Hickin, Wood View
Thomas Daniel Hill Holmes, M. D  
Thomas Hudson, Fairleigh
Irving, Miss, Hardwicke Road
Hugh John Jackson, Theydon Avenue
Jackson, Miss Marshall, Eastcote
Lakin, Miss, Athenry
William Liddell, Heatherlea
LinneII, Mrs. Woodford
Moore, Mrs. Clifton Villa
Charles Mould, Sarum
Charles Mountfort
Arthur Holme Mowbray, Hardwicke House
Richard Mytton, The Dene
William Needham, Haydon House
Obbard, Mrs., Dengarth
Pain, Miss, Woodlands
Payne, Mrs., Glengyle
Perkins, Mrs., Wroxhill
Rawes, Mrs., Hardwicke
Reed, Mrs., Ashleigh
Sergeant, Mrs., The Terrace
Rev. John Shelton (vicar), Vicarage
George Spreckley, Station Road
Walter B. Stonebridge, Stourhead Lodge
Richard Temple Swift, Claremont
John Charles Tarver, Brookside, Theydon Avenue
Kevin Thornhill, Mrs.
Frederick Tomlin, Fern Villa, Theydon Avenue
Tuck, Miss, North Holt
Webb, Miss, Elm Lodge
Thomas William Wingrave, Bickenhall
Wilson, Mrs. Ferndale

Henry VIIth Lodge, Woburn Road
The Henry VII Lodge. Postcard from 1914.

Commercial Early closing day, Wednesday 1p.m.
George Alexander, Fir Tree Hotel
Noah Ambrose, shopkeeper
Albert Arlidge, shopkeeper, Station Road
Aspley Guise & Woburn Sands Golf Club Ltd. (The) (W. B. Stonebridge, secretary)
Aspley Guise & Woburn Sands Rose & Sweet Pea Society (Charles Mould, secretary)
Walter Bailey, Station Hotel
Barclay & Company Ltd, bankers (sub-branch), open on monday & friday 10.30 a.m. to 1.30 p.m.; draw on head office, 54 Lombard street E. C.
Harry Barker, carrier
John G. Barton, coal & corn merchant
Gertrude Bass (Miss), milliner, Russell Street
Ernest Frank Bathurst, chemist, High Street
Thomas Bawden, auctioneer &c, see Foll & Bawden
William Henry Bazley, junior Assistant overseer; office, High Street
Benskin's Watford Brewery Limited (branch), brewers
Wilkie Bliss, coal merchant Railway Station
Thomas Henry Brill, dairy, Station Road
Robert Lewis Brander, M. B., C. M. Aberdeen, physician & surgeon, medical officer & public vaccinator Aspley & Woburn districts, Ampthill union & certifying factory surgeon, Woodfield 
William Charles Byway, picture frame maker
A. Cattell, boot & shoe maker
Robert A. Cheetham, photographer, Station Road 
Walter Chibnall (Mrs.), upholstress Aspley Road 
G. B. Clarke, manufacturer of D. Clarkes carbolized wheat protector
William Voss Clarke, station master
Agnes Mary Coleman (Miss), confectioner
George Collin, tailor, High Street  
Alice Collins (Miss), news agent 

E. Collins (Miss), shopkeeper, 4 The Leys
William George Cooper, dairyman, Theydon Avenue 
Sidney Crawley, butcher, Station Road
George Darby, baker
Oliver Davis, shopkeeper, Station Road
Walter George Day, tailor, Chapel Street
Reginald Herbert Dennis, cycle agent, Station Road

Ellen Dovey (Mrs.), fancy repository
Erasmus George Dovey, watch & clock maker, see Emms & Dovey
Frederick Down, wheat protector manufacturer
Dudeney & Johnston Limited, grocers & provision merchants
Dudley & Sons, brick & tile manufacturers
Albert Dunkley, grocer
Jane Durrant (Miss), dress maker
Eastman's Limited, butchers
Eastwood & Co., Limited, brick works
Wilfred Edgington, fishmonger, see Wooding & Edgington
Olive Ellingham (Miss) A. T. C. L. teacher of music, Sunnyside

William Henry Elliott, grocer
Emms & Dovey, watch & clock makers
Annie Farmer (Mrs.), apartments, The Terrace
Foll & Bawden, auctioneers, estate agents, surveyors & valuers (Telegrams, "Foll"); & at Bletchley, Newport Pagnell & Olney
Wallace Arthur Foll, P. A. S. I. auctioneer &c., see Foll & Bawden
Charles Franklin, coal merchant, Station Road
John Gardner, boot & shoe maker Aspley Hill
Henry Giles & Son, lath renders
Charles Gooding, carrier & shopkeeper
Thomas Hugh Gregory, carpenter
David Hallworth, boot & shoe maker
Thomas Hallworth, boot maker, Hardwicke Place
David Hammond, saddler & harness maker
Alfred Hanscombe, jobbing gardener, Russell Villas
William Harrington, draper

Samuel William Hawkes, Weathercock Inn
Henry Hayter, apartments, Harefield Cottage
David Henman, decorator, Aspley Hill
Holmes & Smith, surgeons
Thomas Daniel Hill Holmes, M. D., C. M. Edinburgh, Surgeon & medical officer No. 8 district. Newport Pagnell union (firm, Holmes & Smith) & at Woburn
Sarah Ann Homans (Mrs.), greengrocer
William Henry Inwood, tailor & outfitter
Thomas Jackson, market gardener
William Janes, watch maker, Station Road
William Kent, builder, Aspley Hill
Edward Last, coach builder, Russell Street
Elizabeth Linnell (Mrs.), laundress, Haddon House
London County & Westminster Limited (sub-branch), open mondays & fridays 10.30 a.m. 1p.m. (J. H. T. Chick, manager. Draw on 21 Lombard Street, London
James McMurtrie, house furnisher
Miller & Son, printers & bookbinders
Moore & Co., boot & shoe makers & milliners
National Deposit (Approved) Friendly Society (W. H. Beavis, secretary)
Harriet Newling (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Horace Bernard Partridge, baker
Nellie Paternoster (Miss), dressmaker, Aspley Road
Alfred Payne, apartments. Russell Villas
Fred Pikesley, motor engineer, High Street
John Pikesley, stationer, Post office
George Frederick Pitt, hair dresser, Station Road
Thomas Poland, apartments, Merton House
George E. Popple, ironmonger
John Walter Pratt, butcher
James Reed, hair dresser, High Street
Rice Brothers, blacksmiths & jobmasters
Albert Russ, china dealer, Aspley Road
Maria Russell (Mrs.), apartments, Aspley Road
Caroline Sadd (Miss), milliner, Station Road
Henry C. H. Sanders, Swan Hotel
Joseph Scrivener John, cycle maker
Henry Sear, coal merchant, Wood Street
Joseph Slapoffski, photographer, Hardwicke Place
W. H.Smith & Son, news agent
Charles Charnock Smith, M. R. C., L. R. C. P., J. P. surgeon (firm, Holmes & Smith)
Charlotte Smith (Miss), apartments, 2 The Terrace

George Thomas Smith, boot & shoe repairer, Aspley Hill
South Bedfordshire Branch of the R. S. P. C. A. (Woburn Sands branch) (Miss M. Gaskoin, Honourary Secretary, Greenwood cottage

Edward Squire, cabinet maker, Russell Street
Walter B. Stonebridge, M. L. R. I. B. A. architect
George Tansley, glass & china dealer
Thomas William Tansley, grocer
Mary Ann Thompson (Miss) apartments
Annie Tomlin (Mrs.), apartments
Thomas Tompkins, coal, corn forage merchant, & at Woburn & Ridgmont
William Brown Toogood, general draper
Ethel Turney (Mrs.), grocer
Albert Edward Tyers, plumber, Wood Street
Mary Wells, (Mrs.), confectioner
Walter Whitlock, chimney sweeper
Charles S. Whitmee, dairyman, Wood Street
George Wigley & Sons, estate agents
John Williams, beer retailer
Woburn Sands Men's Club (J. McMurtrie, secretary)
Woburn Sands Permanent Benefit Building Society (G. H. Taylor, secretary)
Woburn Sands Village Institute (Joseph John Scrivener, secretary)
Marjory Lily (Miss). L. L. C. M. teacher of music, Trelawn
Wooding & Edgington, fishmongers, High Street
George William Young, builder

The Station, Woburn Sands
The Station, from a postcard used in 1915.

Aspley Heath
Private Residents
Rev. Percy Riddell Allnut, Edgebury

Anderson, Miss, Ivy Lawn
Arthur Thomas Bailey, Forest Hurst
Alfred H. Beeching, The Mount
Bromley, Mrs., Aspley Heath House 

James Charles Cleghorn, Brackenside
Greenstreet, Miss, Homewood
Edward Hart, Glenside
Robert Rymer Hinge, Fairview
Rev. Francis Fitzgerald Hort M. A. The Knoll
Jones, Mrs. Howell, Pine Cottage
Miller, Miss, Velindre
Palmer, Miss, Glyndon
Alfred William Pettit, Croyland
Thomas Duncan Phillips, Woodlands
Arthur Charles Plater, Silverbirch
Spinney, Mrs, Melbury
Turney, Miss, The Limes
Rev. Henry George Watson M.A. The Wilderness
Wilkinson, Miss, Hillside
Woods, Miss, Firdale
Charles Henry Wynn, Orchard Cottage

Commercial
Susannah Baker (Miss), furnished apartments, suitable for invalids, close to church, pine woods & golf links, Montrose

Frederick Bowler, apartments, Heath View
Janet Louisa Braidwood (Miss), apartments, Carron Villa
Humphrey James Brown, dairyman
Edward N. Ching artificial teeth maker (attends thurs)
John Cowell, beer retailer
Daneswood Jewish Sanatorium for Consumptives (Miss Rose Jacob, honourary secretary; Miss Helen M. Brown, matron)
Fuller Mining Co., fuller's earth manufacturers
William George Griggs, assistant land agent  
Edward Hart esq., Thornbank
Alwyn Edward A. Hudson, plumber
Julia Hudson (Mrs.), milliner
Knoll Preparatory School for Boys (Rev. Francis Fitzgerald Hort M.A. proprietor), The Knoll
William Linger, grocer
Hannah Esther Mann (Mrs.), apartments, Pinewood
Harry Seabrook, beer retailer
Charles William Stiles, apartments, The Ferns
John Paul Summerley, joiner, Melbourne
Training Home for Girls (Miss Greenstreet, matron)
Fred Tyers, apartments, Southwood