To the WSC Homepage...

Kellys Directory of 1924


WOBURN SANDS is a parish on the road from Dunstable to Newport Pagnell. The ecclesiastical parish was formed in 1867, and comprises the civil parish of Aspley Heath and part of the parish of Aspley Guise. By Local Government Board Order, dated 27th December, 1906, that part of Wavendon formerly in this parish was detached from it. The parish is in the Buckingham division of the county, petty sessional division of Woburn, union of Newport Pagnell, county court district of Leighton Buzzard, rural deanery of Fleete, archdeanery of Bedford and diocese of St. Albans. The village has a station on the Bedford and Cambridge branch of the London, Midland and Scottish railway, 12 miles south west from Bedford, 4 east from Bletchley 2½ north-west from Woburn and 50 by rail and 44 by road from London. Water and sewage works at Aspley Guise were opened on June 8th, 1911, by the Duke of Bedford K.G., K.B.E. The reservoir at Bow Brickhill Heath will hold 380,000 gallons of water.

Woburn Sands Church
St. Michaels, Aspley Heath

The church of St Michael, at Aspley Heath, erected in 1868 from designs by Mr. Henry Clutton, architect, is an edifice in the French Gothic style, and originally consisted of chancel, nave of five bays and a small circular western bell turret: in 1889 it was enlarged, from designs by Sir Arthur Blomfield A. R. A., F. S. A. at a cost of £2,400, when the chancel was added and transept and organ chambers and vestries built on the north side: an oak pulpit with stone base has been presented by Mr. and Mrs. Stuart in memory of four of their children, and an oak lectern by Miss F, A. Stuart in memory of Mrs. Nicholson: the stained east window was erected in 1889 as a memorial to Mr. W. H. Denison, for 21 years churchwarden, and there is another memorial window to Maud F. Stuart: the reredos, designed by Sir Arthur Blomfield A. R. A was erected in 1896 as a memorial to Misses C. and H. Pain: the church affords 450 sittings. The register dates from the year 1867. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £289, with residence, in the gift of Bishop of St. Albans, and held since 1913 by the Rev. John Shelton. There are Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist and Baptist chapels and a Friends' meeting house.

There is an obelisk of stone, containing a clock, erected by public subscription as a memorial to the men connected with this parish who gave their lives in the Great War, 1914 -18, The Village Institute, built in 1874 at a cost of about £800, stands near the centre of the parish it has a library of upwards of 800 volumes, and is used for concerts and other village purposes. Six almshouses were erected by Frederick W. Down esq. in 1902 for aged people of the parish. The Daneswood Jewish Sanatorium for Consumptives was opened on June 25th, 1903, and is pleasantly situated in the parish of Aspley Heath. The parish is particularly salubrious, being situated on the lower greensand formation, which here is a reddish-brown sand, and partly covered by pine woods. The Duke of Bedford K. G., K. B. E. and Alfred Allnutt esq. are the principal landowners. The area is 1,400 acres, including 600 acres for Aspley Heath; about 450 acres is woodland; rateable value, £6,214; the population in 1911 was 1,086 in the civil parish and 1,867 in the ecclesiastical parish, which extends into Bedfordshire.

Parish Clerk, Charles Devereux.

Post, M. O. & T. & T. E. D, Office, Woburn Sands (letters should have Beds added) Alfred John Holmes, sub-postmaster

Council School (mixed & infants), erected in 1868, at the cost of the 9th Duke of Bedford K.G. for 260 children. In 1889 a new infants’ school, adjoining the old buildings, was built at the cost of Francis, Duke of Bedford K.G. for 120 children. The mixed school was enlarged in 1897, at a cost of £1,110; the schools now hold 500 children; William Pearn, head master; Miss H. Cheetham, infants’ mistress. There is also an Intermediate Evening school, held from September to March; William Pearn, principal

Railway Station, William Voss Clarke, station master

Carriers to:- Bedford - William Linger, wed. & sat, Newport Pagnell - William Linger, tues

Private Residents
Harold Gwynne Allen, J. P., The Dene. T. N. 12
Kevin Armstrong, Mrs.
Atkins, Miss, Epworth Villa
Benjamin Barker
William Henry Bazley, Ashfield
Major George Weston Bond, D. S. O., Stourhead Lodge
Thomas Bowler, Rushmere
Arthur Boyes, Theydon Lodge
Barney, Miss, Eaton Lodge
Cautley, Miss, Oakley
Henry Chapman, Hardwick Road
Robert A. Cheetham, Stoke Albany
Chippendale, Mrs., The Terrace
Clark, Mrs., Merton House
John Coles, Theydon Avenue
Frederick Harris Day, Aspley Villa
Ernest Muir Denham, Woodfield
Durrant Miss, Bowbrick Hill
Lieutenant-Colonel M. S., Eyre, D. S. O., Woodlands
Featherstonhaugh, Mrs., Prospect Villa
Frederick J. Full, Links View
Walter Getsom, Denegarth
Alfred Harris Goodman, The Briars
Frederick Gough, Elm Lodge
Henry Edward Grace, Ash Villa, Wood Street
William George Griggs, Enstone, Station Road
Gueritz, Mrs., Lyncroft
Arthur Hall, Somersby
Charles Hanson, The Haven
Albert Hardy, St Deny's
Rt. Rev. & Ven. Edward Noel Hodges, D. D. (assistant Bishop of St Albans & Archdeacon of Bedford), Sandymount
Thomas Daniel Hill Holmes, M. D
Cyril Hutton
Irving, Miss, Hardwicke Road
Jackson, Miss, Theydon Avenue
Nicholas Kestell, Theydon Avenue
Linnell, Mrs., Woodford
Moore, Mrs., Clifton Villa
Morris, Miss, Theydon Avenue
Charles Mould, Sarum
Mowbray, Mrs., Hardwicke House
Murray, Misses, The Cottage, Aspley Hill
William Needham, Holly Lodge
Samuel Oliver, Athenry
Pain, Miss, Woodlands
Ernest William Pratt
Rawlins, Mrs., Haydon House
Sanders, Mrs., Bancroft
William Senior, The Cedars 
Sergeant, Mrs.,1 The Terrace
George Sheald, Bickenhall
Rev. John Shelton (vicar), Vicarage
Arthur Simms, Ferndale
Sydney Arthur Smith, Heatherlea
Rev. Charles Dashwood Snell, M. A. Lydbrook
George Spreckley, Station Road
Ernest David Sykes, Hillside
John Charles Turver. J. P., Russell Street
Thompson, Mrs. Eastcote
Frederick Tomlin, Eversleigh, Wood Street
Tuck, Miss, North Holt
John Turney, Hazelhurst, Theydon Avenue
A. Kevin Underwood, Miss
Henry Watson, Theydon Avenue
John Wilcox-Edge, The Laurels
George Wonham, Ashleigh
George Young, Ivy Dene


    Woburn Sands commercial centre
    The High Street, from a postcard used in 1921.

Commercial - Early closing day, Wednesday.
George Alexander, Fir Tree Hotel
Noah Ambrose, shopkeeper
Thomas Walter Appleby, smith, Station Road
Approved Home for Backward Undeveloped Young Gentlemen; home comforts; companionship & occupation; highly recommended by specialist & parents (Cedric Loveless, superintendent), Lynwood
Aspley Guise & Woburn Sands Golf Club Ltd. (The) (George Barnard West, secretary)
Walter Bailey, contractor, Station Road
Barclays Bank Ltd. bankers (sub-branch), open on mon wed. & fri. 10a.m. to 1p.m.; draw on head office, 54 Lombard Street EC3
John Barton, coal merchant
Ernest Frank Bathurst, chemist, High Street
Benskin's Watford Brewery Limited (branch), brewers

Wilkie Bliss, coal merchant, Railway station
Arthur Boyes, boot maker
Joseph Thomas Burley, greengrocer
William Charles Byway, picture frame maker
Farrell Page Chapman, draper
Robert A. Cheetham, assistant overseer; office, High Street
Tom Aubrey Chester, horse dealer, Horsegrove

Walter Chibnall (Mrs.), upholstress, Aspley Road
John Ernest Chinn, beer retailer
G. B. Clarke, manufacturer of D. Clarke's carbolized wheat protector
William Voss Clarke, station master 
Agnes Mary Coleman (Miss), confectioner
Alice Collins (Miss), news agent
E. Collins (Miss), shopkeeper, 4 The Leys
William George Cooper, dairyman, Theydon Avenue
Sidney Crawley, butcher, Station Road
William Davies, greengrocer, Aspley Hill
Oliver Davis, shopkeeper, Station Road
Walter George Day, tailor, Chapel Street
Ellen Dovey (Mrs.), fancy repository
Erasmus George Dovey, watch & clock maker, see Emms & Dovey

Dudeney & Johnston Limited, grocers & provision merchants
Dudley & Sons, brick & tile manufacturers
Albert Dunkley, grocer
Eastman's Limited, butchers
Eastwoods Ltd., brick works TN 20. See Advert Index
William Henry Elliott, grocer
Emms & Dovey, watch & clock makers
Arthur Blake Farmer, firewood dealer
Fanny Featherstonhaugh (Mrs.), rope & twine manufacturer, Station Road
Wallace A. Foll, F. A. I., auctioneer, estate agent, surveyor & valuer. Telegrams "Foll" TN 9
Charles Franklin, coal merchant, Station Road
John Gardner, boot & shoe maker, Aspley Hill
Henry Giles & Son, lath renders
Thomas Hallworth, boot & shoe maker
Frederick Arthur Hammond, saddler & harness maker
Alfred Hanscombe, jobbing gardener, Russell Villas
William Harrington, draper
Henry Hayter, apartments, Harefield Cottages
David Henman, decorator, Wood Street
Harold G. Hiley, motor agent, Station Road
Holmes, Phillips & Thompson, surgeons
Alfred John Holmes, stationer, Post office
Thomas Daniel Hill Holmes, M. D., G. M. Edinburgh surgeon & medical officer No. 8 district, Newport Pagnell union (firm, Holmes, Phillips & Thompson); & at Woburn
Albert Victor Howe, tobacconist
Thomas Jackson, market gardener
William Janes, watch maker, Station Road
William Kent, builder, Aspley Hill
Edward Last, coach builder, Russell Street
Leslie Leigh-Lancaster, boot maker
Amy Linford (Mrs.), shopkeeper
James McMurtrie, house furnisher
Arthur Markwell, grocer
Edwin Martin, Weathercock Public House
Albert George Maskell, tea rooms
John W. Mitchlemore confectioner
National Deposit (Approved) Friendly Society (W. H. Beavis, secretary)
Harriet Newling (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Horace Bernard Partridge, baker
Alfred Payne, apartments, Russell Villas
Fred Pikesley, motor engineer, High Street
Pleasant & Summerford draper, High Street
George E. Popple ironmonger 
John Walter Pratt, butcher
Rice & Son, motor engineers & jobmasters
Nellie Roe (Mrs.), dress maker, Aspley Road
Maria Russell (Mrs.), apartments, Aspley Road
Henry C. H. Sanders, Swan Hotel
Joseph John Scrivener, cycle maker
W. H. Smith & Son, news agents
Edgar G. Smith undertaker, Hardwick Road
Elizabeth Smith (Mrs.), Station Hotel
South Bedfordshire Branch of the R. S. P. C. A. (Woburn Sands branch) (Miss M. Gaskoin, honourary secretary), Greenwood cottage
Edward Squire, cabinet maker, Russell Street
Edgar Charles Squires, tailor
Ernest C. Stockton, draper
Christine Summerford (Miss), draper, see Pleasant & Summerford
George Tansley, glass & china dealer
Thomas Tompkins, coal, corn, seed & forage merchant, Railway station; & at Woburn & Railway station, Ridgmont
William Brown Toogood, general draper
Annie Tull (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Albert Edward Tyers, plumber, Wood Street
George Frederick Wesley, hair dresser
Westminster Bank Ltd. (sub-branch) (Charles A. Venables, manager), open on mon. wed. & fri. 10a.m to 1p.m.; draw on 41 Lothbury, London E C 2

Annie Elizabeth Whitbread (Mrs.), tobacconist, Station Road
Walter Whitlock, chimney sweeper
Charles S. Whitmee, dairyman, Wood Street
Frank Wilkins, photographer, Station Road

Charles Wilmott, golf professional, Aspley Road
Woburn Sands Social Club Ltd. (J. McMurtrie, secretary)
Woburn Sands Permanent Benefit Building Society (G. H. Taylor, secretary)
Woburn Sands Village Institute (A. Boyes, secretary)
Lily Marjory Wodhams (Miss) L. L. C. M. teacher of music, Trelawn
Joseph Wooding, fishmonger, High Street
Charles Wynn (Mrs.), apartments