Kellys Directory for Woburn Sands 1928

Woburn Sands is a parish on the road from Dunstable to Newport Pagnell. The ecclesiastical parish was formed in 1867, and comprises the civil parish of Aspley Heath and part of the parish of Aspley Guise. By Local Government Board Order, dated 27th December, 1906, that part of Wavendon formerly in this parish was detached from it. The old name for this place was Hogsty End. The parish is in the Buckingham division of the county, Woburn petty sessional division, Newport Pagnell union, Leighton Buzzard county court district, rural deanery of Fleete, archdeaconry of Bedford and diocese of St. Albans. The village has a station on the Bedford and Cambridge branch of the London, Midland and Scottish railway, 12 miles south-west from Bedford, 4 east from Bletchley, 2½ north-west from Woburn and 50 from London; it is 44 miles from London by road. Water and sewage works at Aspley Guise were opened on June 8th, 1911, by the Duke of Bedford K. G., K. B. E. The new reservoir at Bow Brickhill Heath will hold 380,000 gallons of water. The church of St. Michael, at Aspley Heath, erected in 1868 from designs by Mr. Henry Clutton, architect, is an edifice in the French Gothic style, and originally consisted of nave of five bays and a small circular western bell turret: in 1889 it was enlarged from designs by Sir Arthur Blomfield A. R. A., F. S. A. at a cost of £2,400, when the chancel was added and transept and organ chambers and vestries built on the north side: by the addition of a screen the north transept was converted in 1920 into a memorial chapel, where there is a brass to those who fell in the Great War: an oak pulpit with stone, base has been presented by Mr. and Mrs. Stuart in memory of four of their children, and an oak lectern by Miss F. A. Stuart in memory of Mrs. Nicholson: the stained east window was erected in 1889 as a memorial to Mr. W. H. Denison, for 21 years churchwarden, and there is another memorial window to Maud F. Stuart: the reredos, designed by Sir Arthur Blomfield A. R. A. was erected in 1896 as a memorial to Misses C. and E. Pain: the church affords 450 sittings. The register dates from the year 1867. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £223, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of St. Albans, and held since 1913 by the Rev. John Shelton, of Lichfield College. There are Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist and Baptist chapels and a Friends' meeting house. The Village Institute, built in 1874 at a cost of about £800, stands near the centre of the parish; it has a library of upwards of 800 volumes, and is used for concerts and other village purposes. Six almshouses were erected by the late Frederick W. Down in 1902 for aged people of the parish. The Daneswood Jewish Sanatorium for Consumptives was opened on June 25th, 1903, and is pleasantly situated in the parish of Aspley Heath. The parish is particularly salubrious, being situated on the lower greensand formation, which here is a reddish-brown sand, and partly covered by pine woods. The area is 1,400 acres, including 600 acres for Aspley Heath; about 450 acres is woodland; rateable value, £7,457; the population in 1921 was 1,131 in the civil parish and 1,857 in the ecclesiastical parish, which extends into Bedfordshire.

Parish Clerk, Charles Devereux.


Post, M. O., T. & T. E. D. Office, Woburn Sands.- Alfred John Holmes, sub-postmaster. Letters through Bletchley, Bucks.

Council School (mixed & infants), erected in 1868, at the cost of the 9th Duke of Bedford, for 260 children. In 1889 a new infants' school, adjoining the old buildings, was built at the, cost of Francis, Duke of Bedford K. G. for 120 children. The mixed school was enlarged in 1897 at a cost of £1,110; the schools now hold 500 children; John Robert William Codd, master. Also an intermediate Evening school, held from September to March, & is now (1927) being attended by about 30 to 40 students; John Robert William Codd, principal.

Railway Station, Charles Percy Wells, station master.

Carrier. - William Linger, to Bedford, wed. & sat.; to Newport Pagnell, tues


Private Residents (For TN's see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)
Harold Gwynne Allen, The Dene
Atkins, Miss, Epworth Villa
Francis George Atkinson, Heatherlea
Andrew Austin, Claremont
Arthur Thomas Albert Barnwell, Athenry
William Henry Bazley, Ashfield
Bond, Mrs., 1 The Terrace
Thomas Bowler, High Street
Boyes, Mrs., Theydon House
John Felgate Brewster, The Briars
Graham Henry Charles Bryant, Links View
Burner, Miss, Eton Lodge
John Francis Campbell, Brook Side, Theydon Avenue
Cautley, Miss, Oakley
Henry Chapman, Haddon House, Hardwick Road
Chippindall, Mrs., 2 The Terrace
Kevin Clark, Mrs., Hardwick Road
Clark, Mrs., Melton House
John Robert William Codd, Theydon Avenue
John Coles, Theydon Avenue
Engineering Captain Frank Lionel Crook, Royal Navy (ret.), Lydbrook
Frederick William Deeley, Pine View
Samuel Charles Denton, The Laurels
Evans, Miss, M. R. C. S., L. R. C. P. Cliftonville, Station Road
Lieutenant-Colonel Moreland Stanhope Eyre, D. S. O.  Sandymount, Station Road
Featherstonhaugh, Mrs., Prospect Villa
Goodwin, Mrs., Scutari, Aspley Hill
Henry Edward Grace, Ash Villa, Wood Street
Rev. Canon Joseph Henry Gray M.A., J. P., Avenue Lodge
Griggs, Mrs., Enstone, Station Road
Albert Hardy, St Deny's
Cedric Hodgson, Greenwood Cottage, Hardwick Road
Thomas Daniel Hill Holmes, M. D., J. P., The Shrubbery
Frederick Thomas Howard, The Cedars
Howe, Misses, Aspley Villa
Irving, Miss, Hardwick Road
Jackson, Miss., Theydon Avenue
Kestell, Mrs. Theydon Avenue
Charles Edward La Poer Trench, Brian Cottage. Aspley Hill
Linnell, Misses, Woodford
Cedric Loveless, Lynwood
Ernest Marchant, Lyneroft, Hardwick Road

Marshall, Mrs., Ventnor, Station Road
Matson, Miss. Station Road
Moore, Miss, Clifton Villa
Charles Mould, Sarum
Mowbray, Mrs., Hardwick House
Murray, Misses., The Cottage, Aspley Hill
William Needham, Holly Lodge
Pain, Miss, Woodlands
Rawlins, Mrs., Haydon House
Sanders, Mrs. Sancroft
Rev. John Shelton (vicar), Vicarage
Sidney Sinfield, Fernheath, Station Road
George Spreckley, Station Road
Ernest David Sykes, Hillside
Tuck, Miss, North Holt
John Turney, Hazelhurst, Theydon Avenue
Walker, Miss., Stoke Albany
Rev. Henry George Watson M.A., Ferndale
Richard Cecil Wilton, Stourhead Lodge
Colonel Charles Neil Campbell Wimberley, C. M. G., M. B. Edinburgh
Wingrave, Miss, Hardwick Road
John Wiseman, 3 The Terrace
George Wonham, Ashleigh
Wynn, Mrs. Glengyle

Commercial - Early closing day, Wednesday.
Adams, Miss, hairdresser, Rushmore
Aspley Guise & Woburn Sands Golf Club Ltd. (The) (Horace W. Page, secretary)
Frederick Austin, baker, Weathercock Lane
Frederick Baker, dairyman, Station Road
Barclays Bank Ltd. (sub-branch), open on mon. wed. & fri. 10 a.m to 1p.m.; head office, 54 Lombard Street, London E C 3
John Barton, coal merchant
Ernest Frank Bathurst, chemist, High Street
Francis Robert Beresford, Fir Tree Hotel
William Henry Bliss, coal merchant, Railway station
Joseph Thomas Burley, greengrocer, High Street
William Charles Byway, picture frame maker
Farrell Page Chapman, draper
Tom Aubrey Chester, horse dealer, Horsegrove
Chibnall, Mrs., upholstress, Aspley Road
D. Clarke, carbolized wheat protectors (Henry Bazley, proprietor)
Agnes Mary Coleman (Miss), confectioner
Alice Collins (Miss), news agent
E. Collins (Miss), shopkeeper, 4 The Leys
William George Cooper, farmer, Theydon Avenue
Sidney Crawley, butcher, High Street
William Davies, greengrocer, Aspley Hill
Oliver Davis, shopkeeper, Station Road
Walter George Day, tailor, Chapel Street
Ellen Dovey (Mrs.), fancy repository

Erasmus George Dovey, watch & clock maker, see Emms & Dovey
Dudeney & Johnston Limited, grocers
C. Dudley & Sons, roofing tile manufacturers, Station Road TN 32

Albert Dunkley, grocer

Advert on a bilhead, 1926

Eastman's Limited, butchers
William Henry Elliott, grocer

Emms & Dovey, watch & clock makers
Evans, Miss, M. E. C. S., L. E. C. P. Cliftonville, Station Road

William John Evans, dentist (attends tues. & fri. 3 to 6), Brookfield, Station Road
Arthur Farmer & Sons, firewood dealers
Fanny Featherstonhaugh (Mrs.), rope & twine manufacturer, Station Road
Wallace Arthur Foll, F. A. I., P. A. S. I., auctioneer, estate agent, surveyor & valuer (Telegrams, "Foll"); & at Bletchley. Telephone No. 9
Charles Franklin, coal merchant, Station Road
John Gardner, boot & shoe maker, Aspley Hill
Alexander Ronald Gibb L. D. S. E. C. S. Edinburgh, dentist. Field View. Station Road
Thomas George Giles, shopkeeper, Chapel Street
Marie Grace, hairdresser, Station Road
Thomas Hallworth, boot maker, Vicarage Street
Frederick Arthur Hammond, saddler & harness maker
Brian Wells Hanson, nurseryman, Station Road
Charles Hanson, accountant, The Haven
Albert Hardy, beer retailer, High Street
David Henman, decorator, Wood Street
Holmes, Alexander & Thompson, surgeons

Alfred John Holmes, stationer, Post office, High Street
Thomas Daniel Hill Holmes, M. D., C. M. Edinburgh, surgeon & medical officer No. 8 district Newport Pagnell union (firm, Holmes, Alexander & Thompson)
Herbert Hooper, draper, High Street
Hudson & Son, builders, Aspley Heath
Cyril Hutton, builder, contractor, plumber & decorator, Chapel Street
Thomas Jackson, market gardener
Janes Brothers, watch makers, Station Road
William Kent, builder, Aspley Hill
Albert Henry Kilpin, fruiterer & greengrocer, Hardwick Road
Alfred Herbert King, shopkeeper, Station Road
Last & Son, motor body builders, painting, lining & varnishing a speciality, Russell Street. TN 44
Leslie Leigh-Lancaster, boot maker
Lewis & Co. (F. W. Deeley, proprietor), pastrycooks, Russell Street
James McMurtrie, house furnisher
Ernest W. Marchant solicitor, Lyncroft, Hardwick Road
Markwell & Son, grocers, High Street
Edwin Martin, Weathercock Public House
Harold Marchant Measures, sawing, planing & moulding mills, Station Road
John Wilson Mitchelmore, refreshment room, High Street
National Deposit (Approved) Friendly Society (W. H. Beavis, secretary)
Alwyn Francis Pacey, painter & decorator, Chapel Street
Horace Bernard Partridge, baker
Herbert Payne, blacksmith, Station Road
Bertha Peacock (Miss), milliner
Charles Ernest Perriam, tobacconist, High Street

Perriams tobacconist, Woburn Sands

Fred Pikesley, motor engineer, High Street
Pleasant & Summerford, drapers, High Street
George E. Popple, ironmonger
Ernest William Pratt, insurance agent, Theydon Avenue
John Walter Pratt, butcher
Rice & Son, motor engineers TN 13
Maria Russell (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Aspley Road
W. H. Smith & Son, news agents
Edgar Smith, funeral furnisher, Hardwick Road
Edward Smith, beer retailer
Joseph Francis Smith, plumber, gas & hot water fitter &c. Russell Street
Vincent Hill Smith, motor car proprietor, East View, Wood Street
South Bedfordshire Branch of the R. S. P. C. A. (Woburn Sands branch) (Miss Westoby, honourary secretary) Rookery, Aspley Guise
Edgar Charles Squires, tailor, Station Road
Ernest Cookson Stockton, draper, High Street
Christine Summerford (Miss), draper, see Pleasant & Summerford
Swan Hotel (Henry C. H. Sanders, proprietor), High Street TN 4
George Tansley (A. R. & T. G. Tansley proprietors) glass & china dealer
Thomas Tompkins, corn, coal, seed & forage merchant. Railway station & Street Woburn & Railway station, Ridgmont
William Brown Toogood, J.P., general draper
Albert Edward Tyers, plumber. Wood Street
Reginold Frank Vassie , refreshment rooms, High Street TN 118
Charles Wagstaff, boot & shoe maker & dealer, High Street
Charles Percy Wells, station master
George Wesley, hair dresser, High Street
Westminster Bank Ltd. (sub-branch), open on mon. wed. & fri. 10a.m to 1p.m. (C. A. Venables, manager) head office, 41 Lothbury, London EC
Annie Elizabeth Whitbread (Mrs) tobacconist. Station Road
White Brothers, greengrocers, fruiterers & florists, Theydon nurseries; & at Fenny Stratford
Thomas Henry White, insurance agent, 2 The Leys
Charles S. Whitmee, dairyman, Wood Street
Whitmee, Mrs., music teacher, Wood Street
George Henry Whittleton, grocer, Aspley Hill
Frank Watkins, photographer, Station Road
Charles Willmott, golf professional, The Leys
Woburn Sands Allotment Society Ltd. (Harry Pakes, secretary), Theydon Avenue
Woburn Sands Permanent Benefit Building Society (G. H. Taylor, secretary)
Woburn Sands Social Club Ltd. (J. McMurtrie, honourary secretary)
Woburn Sands Village Institute (F. J. Chapman, secretary)
Lily Marjory Wodhams, (Miss) L. L. C. M. teacher of music, Trelawn
Joseph Wooding, fishmonger, High Street